Number 1 for 2015 1/48th Airfix Gnat T.1

My I first wish you all a Happy New Year

This missed out on being the last one of 2014 but claims a respectful 1st for 2015.

Its the new Airfix 1/48th Scale Gnat representing XP501 in the Summer of 1966.

S&M decals to replace the incorrect colours on the Airfix ones and built out of the box.

I can say this kit is a dream to build,

The number has been added to the nose hgaer door since the photo's were taken!

Thanks for looking

Comments welcome as always

Rick

y3VUYj.jpg

FZJKWo.jpg

0H6iJQ.jpg

LHlFbY.jpg

Pqt4ll.jpg

• Like 20

Very nicely done with an excellent finish, my 72nd version is being decalled and so I get really see how good the larger scale version is

• Like 1

Really sexy British jet even though I don't fancy many jets. What is the point e thing e on its nose? :rolleyes:

:goodjob:

I hope you mean the small black aerial mounted about half way along to starboard?

or the long pitot tube, :whistle:

Thanks for the comments

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

A really lovely build Rick. Those colours start me reminiscing, having seen the then new Gnats at Valley in 1964. Happy dyas - Yep, including watching F/Lt Lee Jones and the Yellowjacks

You say you replaced the Airfix decals because of their wrong colours - which ones are wrong?

Also, what dayglo colour did you use? My memory is that the Gnats were in Dayglo Orange at that time rather than the later Fire Orange. The colour you have there looks about right for that early Dayglo, which I recall faded rather quickly. Your NMF is also superb - what paints did you use?

Thanks,

John B

• Like 1