Ugandan Air Force SU-30MK - Complete

After a recent trip to a LMS recently I found a tin of paint which claims to be Soviet interior blue green - result thought I, I need some of that for the Flanker cockpit. Purchase made I experimented on the cockpit but thought that the colour to be a bit too green and not blue enough for the Russian cockpits that I've seen. Anyone any thoughts on whether I need to add some blue? Is this colour representative of an older generation of Russian/Soviet aircraft ie WWII?

I did notice though that this green seems a pretty close match to the external green of my UPDF SU-30 so it might not have been a wasted purchase ;) Any thoughts?

D998A5BE-BDDA-4377-B5FC-9BB1E850137C_zps

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Phil, I noticed that as soon as I'd opened the paint tin. I have repainted the cockpit with some blue (can't remember which colour) that was in my paint collection, but it's dried a little dark, so I feel a bit more experimentation coming on. Need to crack on with this build though; the end date is approaching!

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a quick update. A little progress on the otherwise stalled Ugandan Su-30. Have to say I have been pleasantly surprised by this kit. It's construction seems well thought through and the joins of the parts follow done logical lines.

Anyway, here we go:

82B60E62-287C-471E-B059-CAD552532BCF_zps

CB0AFD5F-CCF9-4481-96EA-30BBF4A4D71B_zps

DC2195C1-971C-4AC2-8F18-93FD112CBA64_zps

Nice progress so far - and one variant that I intend to do at some point - so your research on colours is very welcome.

I don't know if you have picked up on it, but, while the Trumpeter Su-30MKK kit is very good, it does have one shape issue regarding the fins - they are too short.

Su-30MKK%20011.JPG

I fixed mine by adding a 3mm section at the base.....

Su-30MKK%20019.JPG

..... which also sorted out the fact that the intakes at the base of the fins on ALL Flankers are different sizes.

Note that Dream Model do a resin set of replacement fins:- http://www.dreammodel.com.cn/productviews.asp?ID=198&classid=15

My build of the Su-30MKK is here.

Ken

S - If you really want to be anal - the blow-in louvres in the bottom of the intake only have 12 slats - Trumpeter have moulded 24 grooves - simply reverse the insert part and re-scribe 12 grooves.

Intakes now added and exhausts primed. Just added the first coat of Alclad. Have to admit that this is my first attempt at using Alclad and so far I'm impressed. Sprays beautifully; finish is fantastic. Cleaning the airbrush is no worse than using enamels. Only thing is the smell!!

Can anyone offer any tips on what I should do next, particularly tips on how to mask the Alclad painted areas so I can spray the camo colours?

D7F35B06-C87C-4D71-9DF4-B293252D64D5_zps

DF86ABF8-9601-46A5-BFFC-A33E14C0F5BF_zps

Yep, that's very green. Far too much so for the Soviet-era interior colour (arrived at by aviation psychologists who thought it the optimum to keep pilots calm). The Xtracolour is an infinitely better match.

Hate to say this Parns, but it is the Xtracolour paint!! :(

The Alclad's looking great Roland. You should have no problem masking it in your usual way, it's pretty robust stuff (much tougher than many silver paints).

Good luck!

Cliff

Oh c#ck! Just taken the transparencies out of their protective covering and have discovered that Trumpeter have managed to cast a really thick line down the centre of the canopy and forward screen! :(

6C2A6B70-FC6E-4CBF-AA9E-52BACD65406E_zps

Now I have never tried to clean up something like this. Anyone got any tips and tricks for filing this off and yet keeping the screen clear?