Dubai: Aermacchi MB-326

Dubai: Aermacchi MB-326

This build is of the Aermacchi MB-326, as used by the Dubai Defence Force Police Air Wing in 1977.

The MB-326 has a similar history to the Jet Provost, starting life as a two-seater trainer and being developed into a cost-effective light attack fighter and finding customers in five separate continents.

• Like 2

Good to see a 326 here ! The little Macchi trainer was widely exported and I was sure at least one would have been built for this GB !

Ok, I admit I was planning to build one myself, so there will be at least 2.. :)

Will you be doing the 2-seater or the single seat K variant ? IIRC Dubai used both

Good to see a 326 here ! The little Macchi trainer was widely exported and I was sure at least one would have been built for this GB !

Ok, I admit I was planning to build one myself, so there will be at least 2.. :)

Will you be doing the 2-seater or the single seat K variant ? IIRC Dubai used both

Whichever one the instructions tell me :)

Seriously, I haven't looked in to that level of detail, but I suspect it will be the twin

The kit for this build will be this nice looking MB-326

f3149ba53ace9c9291bd83130739d7ff.jpg

I actually bought this a little while ago as it ticked 3 boxes ... It is a early generation jet; it has a lot of the less built national markings (before I even knew about this GB), and it has great colour schemes (don't do grey!) - so is just perfect for this :)

Bit of blurb in the instructions (sounds like I WILL be making the K version in fact :D )

68de607e5eba2cc35b450d06e17f4fe2.jpg

Looks like it could be a fairly quick build plastics wise:

f4098a3f80ad4f05968dc86f129de0c6.jpg

6e622ef84baf209d4cdc9cdac1a35c20.jpg

With more time on the painting and masking off!

4c0f5d1a17396f3c46bde02bf0bd659b.jpg

And applying decals (the fun bit where the kit comes to life!)

b05f1b3a4cd7931db811bcf7ebd32797.jpg

Top right section is the common decals; bottom left is the country specific ones for this build. Quite a bit left over for other projects :D

• Like 1

Ok, so it's the single seater K. I believe that only one version can be made with the dedicated Esci or Italeri box of the kit. It's still a very good kit even if it was first issued more than 30 years ago !

Interestingly, this version never served with the Italian Air Force, the only ones wearing these insignia were a few evaluated by the flight test unit, duly covered in the decal sheet. At the same time the K was used in many countries for light attack duties.

Looking forward to seeing your build !

Cool choice of subject. Didn't realise Italeri made this kit in 72nd but if it's anything like the 48th scale one will be a joy to build.

Cool choice of subject. Didn't realise Italeri made this kit in 72nd but if it's anything like the 48th scale one will be a joy to build.

It's not an original Italeri mould but a repop of the older Supermodel kit. Italeri now owns all the Supermodel moulds after this company closed a few years ago. IIRC the 326K was first reissued only a few months ago. These supermodel kits are not bad although have raised panel lines and limited cockpit detail

The 1/48 kit on the other hand is a repop of the even older Esci kit, with nice recessed panel lines but even less cockpit detail...

• 3 weeks later...

Getting a bit frustrated with my 1/32 Do27, so I thought I would get a start with this GB and the Dubai bird.

It is a simple kit, but pretty :) build is right OOB

Competed the cockpit - neat enough, comprising 7 parts in total:

65a777d66a73d1bd4441f17cd28e639a.jpg

Fuselage closed and wings attached:

76766a50ed234780a3367d7d9a4bbbb4.jpg

I added some weight to the nose (it is a wheels-down build) but I suspect not enough, so will be attaching the undercarriage before closing up the top just in case ...

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Ok, just like my other two builds in this GB, work has progressed, but just not in the last few weeks and not taken pictures (oops!).

This 'Impala' has been virtually completed now. Last thing I did was scan the sprues for anything not yet fitted for the option I am building and I think the consensus was nothing left!

Think I have carried out all the seam-sanding. Still got the canopy to mask off and fit and should be ready for paint.

The paint plan will be to prime using Tamiya Fine Surface rattle can, and then airbrush the colours. I'll probably be painting the 3 builds in the GB together (well, one after other!) so the painting will be a little delayed as even though the MB326 will be ready very soon, the MiG will be holding it up :)

Nice to see progress. I'm suffering from "I don't feel like sawing resin for hours" syndrome so progress has halted on my LBAF build, sadly.