TWA Delivery Colors DC-9-15, 1:144 Draw Decal

TWA Delivery Colors DC-9-15

1:144 Fly Models with Draw Decals

TWA1.jpg

First build of 2015, but really it was mostly done in 2014 and just finished today.

This is the Fly Models kit of the series 10, in the Itavia boxing. It comes with 2 complete fuselages for a series 10 and a series 30 DC-9, and a litlle resin set of smaller wingtips to shorten the 10's wing, and the little fences that the 10 also had. It was a straightforward build, the only slight thing I disliked was the solid cockpit windows, prefering to have them clear if possible.

I wasn't that taken with the Itavia livery, but fortunately Draw Decals produce a lovely set for TWA's delivery scheme from the 1960's reviewed here.I can't resist a classic 60's scheme with a cheatline, especially on the DC-9, so these 2 made the perfect match.

Here she is looking very much the elegant lady that she was back in the day;

TWA3.jpg

TWA4.jpg

TWA5.jpg

TWA7.jpg

TWA9.jpg

TWA10.jpg

And for the traditional 'With something else, how about a Pan Am 727-100 Airfix with TwoSix decals)

TWA12.jpg

I couldn't resist a second 'with something else', this livery is so evocative of the original Airfix 1960's boxing of the 727 in the TWA scheme. I still have one in my stash, but the decals have yellowed. I'll build it one day if Greg at Draw Decals ever produces it!

TWA11.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 10

Lovely little model John and one of the best "with something" combinations yet posted.

I'll bet you could use the same Draw decals sheet for the 727 as well if you painted the cheatline. Surely a simple job for a man of your talent.

Chris.

Gorgeous build. Love that version of the TWA livery.

The few Fly Models I purchased did not have gear doors and such, so assume you went 'over and above' to finish this off so nicely

From my travels, I always regarded the DC-9 as a crude little plane, but the MD-80 was my favourite. ( OK, my first DC-9 trip was Air Canada from Montreal to La Guardia, and the flight attendant accidentally sprayed me with a beer she was opening - and I ended up smelling like a brewery all the way to Atlanta ) But but memories aside, great model.

The 727-100 also looks odd compared to the later 200 ( are we just programmed to enjoy later version, stretched, aeroplenes? )

I don't have to tell you - Nice work!

Cheers,

Mike