Royal Navy Hunter modifications, help required!

gishuk

Im hoping some of you guys with more knowledge than me can help me out on this. Im building a T.8M in 1/32 with the Fisher conversion at the moment, but theres one thing that isnt included in the set. There seems to be some kind of chaff launcher under the fuselage somewhere, but I cant find a good photo of it to build one from.

The walkaround on Britmodeller, which is excellent for every other part of the aircraft, has just one blurry photo of this 'thing'.

t8%2028.jpg

I think its also present on the single seat naval Hunters, but im not entirely sure. If anyone has any clear photos of this thing and where its exactly located on the airframe so I can build one it would be much appreciated, cheers.

That looks more like they're radio altimeter aerials than chaff launchers. There was no requirement for the aircraft to be fitted with chaff.

Bruce, we include images people send in. For a rarely seen area maybe a slightly blurry shot than none at all. If anyone wants to go and get a better shot from the FAA Museum for the section then I would welcome it. The section is only as good as the submissions we get in.

Julien

• Like 3

Im not criticizing the walkaround just in case it wasnt clear, the rest of the photos are great and that one, while blurry, is the only reason im aware that 'thing' exists anyway.

Just would really like to see it clearer so I can build one :banghead:

• Like 1

There is a great walkaround here: http://airshowmodels.co.uk/airshowmodels_walkarounds_uk_hunter_t8m.php. I measured the Yeovilton example and have some notes at home. I will try and dig them out this evening

I think when they were used to simulate sea skimming missiles these pods were used to give the correct radar signature to the ship radar operators of the Russian missiles. regards Len

I havent found my notes yet which will give you the dimensions, probally job for the weekend now. In the meantime see if you can get a copy of Neil Mercers 'Fleet Air Arm'. There is a copy for 66p on Abe books at the moment, http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=14432826493&searchurl=tn%3Dfleet+air+arm%26an%3Dneil+mercer%26sts%3Dt it has some really good quality air to air shots of the T8M including a great underside shot. It will give you some good information on all the little vents and aerials. Also very good GA11 shots if you want to do one to partner your T8M

If you are wondering how to scratch the aerial I made mine using a piece of Airfix sprue which has a trapezoidal section. If is a little deep amd needs reducing a bit but the section is almost spot on. My piece came from a Sea Vixen but I am sure most of the 1 / 48 kits use the same.

If anyone is interested I did get my Dad to measure up the "trumpet" like protrusion on the T8(M) that you can see third row from the bottom in the above walkaround. I'm not sure I ever figured out what it was for!

pat

I havent found my notes yet which will give you the dimensions, probally job for the weekend now. In the meantime see if you can get a copy of Neil Mercers 'Fleet Air Arm'. There is a copy for 66p on Abe books at the moment, http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=14432826493&searchurl=tn%3Dfleet+air+arm%26an%3Dneil+mercer%26sts%3Dt it has some really good quality air to air shots of the T8M including a great underside shot. It will give you some good information on all the little vents and aerials. Also very good GA11 shots if you want to do one to partner your T8M

Another vote for the photo in Neil Mercer's Fleet Air Arm book: plan view of the underside gave me all I needed to bodge one up for a 1/144 kit.

• 1 month later...

Julian, we have one of those 'pods' at Bentwaters. It was planned to fit it to our GA.11 but we won't be using it now.

Graham

Having crawled under this yesterday it is about 4 inches or so wide and about 2 inches deep. Photos to follow at some point.