Qatar - Boeing C-17A Globemaster ++ Completed at long last ++

Hi all,

Retrieved this from deep storage / loft insulation duties for this GB.

Box shot for the time being....

16008337010_8dd0a83b12.jpg

Back to sorting workshed and finishing the Hampden first.

IanJ

Edited by Bonhoff
  • Like 1

Hi Ian

Is this going to be the biggest subject in the GB?

In the meantime, don't make your workshed too tidy or you'll never be able to find anything again.....

Cliff

• 4 weeks later...

Box and contents, apologies for the dark photos, camera not brilliant on my tablet.

16389073556_9ec07b87b9.jpg

And an initial taped up version to highlight any fit problems,

16413282781_59cb1a8397.jpg

Minor fit problem to the bottom of the aircraft, but the bigger fit issue is where it's going to fit in the display cabinet, I have no idea!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally made a start on this,

16133877293_58fc1a9971.jpg

Cockpit colour scheme seems to be various shades of grey mixed up according to Revell's instructions, but as my range of Revell paints is limited it was a case of using what was at hand.

16753814615_6ddab1cf0a.jpg

Back view of cockpit module.

16753814665_02f58678b1.jpg

This is one of the inner fuselage halves, t'other side also done. Waiting for the floor to dry prior to applying the enormous decal suplied for the fllor detail and then we can close up the inner fuselage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some shed time.... Floor decals applied, settled really well with Micro Set onto the raised and recessed floor detailing but managed to mess things up a bit by overenthusiastically (sp?) rubbing at the decal with a cotton bud, which resulted in the decal folding back on itself.

Doh!

16696133898_e43146bac3.jpg

I then joined the two inner fuselage halves together and to the cabin section, along with the spar box on the top of the fuselage. This was taped to the floor to make sure that it was all in the right place once the gluing started. I used Tamiya Extra Thin. Not sure whether this is a better product that Humbrol Liquid Poly but the brush is certainly easier to control.

Once that had set I then glued the floor in place.

Hopefully more progress later.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good Ian, I have a couple of these to build.

I started one a while back and had an accident with it so it never got finished.

It will be good to see yours in the Qatar colours. I assume it will be in the the white/grey scheme? Does the kit have decals also for the all over grey Qatar aircraft?

• 1 month later...

Progress report.

Due to the complete absence of mojo recently I hadn't progressed much further but now am back on it full steam ahead.

Although with only 21 hours to go it may not be completed.

Basically it's built, wings on fuselage, engines, undercarriage etc built up as subassemblies, main paintwork done etc.

I would post a picture, but it looks like flickr has had a revamp in the last month and I can no longer find where the BB Code is located....

And the race is on.

09:50 - Up and in to the cave. Additional coat of Gull Grey all over, tailplanes primed and painted.

10:30 - Wife wakes up, discovers my wherabouts, brings a cup of tea, I feel guilty and go in the house.

11:00 - To assuage my guilt, I paint the bedroom wall Duck Egg Blue. Wife doesn't know if it's to BS 381.

12:00 - First coat on wall = conscience sorted. Back in cave. Wheels and tyres get second coat, engine detail painting completed, metal wing leading edges painted, minor parts primed.

14:00 - Will be in Tesco for weekly shop.

Further news as it happens.....

• Like 1

Not just Tesco. The boss wanted to go to Dunelm too so now we can add fitting curtains to the list after building this C17.

16:30 - Back in cave, klear applied, masking removed, undercarriage now with wheels, one of tailplanes sanded down and repaintedwhen a cat hair was discovered in the paint.

Wondering if the klear will have cured sufficiently for me to apply the decals safely tonight?

Wondering if the klear will have cured sufficiently for me to apply the decals safely tonight?

No guarantees, but I would say most definitely! I usually give it about an hour (plus a quick blast from a hair dryer) - no problems so far :winkgrin:

Good luck!

Cliff

Thanks Cliff.

20:30 - After tea and a couple more domestic chores (wiring light fitting, move furniture) it was back in the cave to start decalling, started with the tail portside and worked my way towards the front.

Klear was ok as it happens, decals require care as some of them are quite large panels, some need to go on in a specfic order and Revell (not for the first time) failed to proof read the instructions so some of the numbers on the markings don't correspond with the diagram.

The burgundy paintwork on the winglets and back of the aircraft are provided as decals and are expected to go around various compound curves which they do, provided you use microsol instead of set.

All the above meant that it wasn't done by the deadline and I reckon there's still another half day in it if I want to do a proper job.

Sorry.

It'll be done by the end of the week (Hopefully)

Thanks to the Boss for letting me play when there were more important jobs to do.

Hi Bonhoff

Oh, so close.... It's looking great though and I do hope that you will post some final pictures here when it is finished (I think that this thread will remain open for another couple of weeks).

Cheers

Cliff

• 4 weeks later...

Getting there....

17591596853_0ba6b01834_k.jpg

FWIW - If you intend to do this model wheels down you'll need weight in the nose - Mine was fine until the tailplanes went on.... :frantic:

And there are some whopping great ejector pin marks on the main undercarriage doors that need dealing with if you want anybody to look underneath - No one's looking under mine!

Will be glad when it's done....

IanJ

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...