1/72 Airfix Spitfire Mk Ia

Morning all,

Just wrapped up the Spitfire, the first of my Battle of Britain builds. Had a lot of fun knocking this one together :)

For those interested, the WIP thread can be found here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234972713-172-airfix-baby-spit/

_MG_8860_zps12185568.jpg

_MG_8863_zpsb26c955f.jpg

_MG_8862_zps15624dd3.jpg

_MG_8861_zps108c0b8e.jpg

_MG_8865_zps86c3ae89.jpg

Without masks for my Do17 and a gun pack for my Blenheim, I might move onto something different until I've all I need to start the next BoB build

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed

Cheers

Shaun

• Like 14

A smooth finish to die for – right on the money.

IMHO, you have spoiled the scale effect by applying that gross panel line wash, that breaks up the shape of the Spitfire and makes for a Lesney diecast toy impression. The 'panel lines' are already overstated in the kit, especially on the dorsal aft fuselage and need only the subtlest enhancement, if any, for a realistic effect.

Also, the fact that there are no continuation of the lines on the decals make the markings look a bit 'pasted on' .

Otherwise, a splendid build and finish!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks for the kind comments all, much appreciated :thumbsup:

Joachim, fair comment on both points. I stated in my WIP thread that I felt the wash was a little on the heavy side, but with the prominent panel lines- the kit's achilles heel- I figured it wouldn't make a great deal of difference with or without a wash. As for the decals, the Xtradecals reacted rather strangely to Microsol, not settling in at all, and subsequently not reacting to Klear as well as I'd normally expect, hence why the panel lines didn't take the wash. With several more builds planned from the same sheet, it doesn't bode well, though I shall be using Klear from the off.

At the end of the day, this has been more of a fun build rather than a serious one, and I've certainly enjoyed knocking it together.

Thanks again,

Shaun :)

Edited by Seamus

I really love the panel line wash that has been done to accentuate the detailling and even better is the smoke trails from the gun ports. Superb job there, you have even tempted me to return to the humble spitfire again :)

Sam

• Like 1

Oh wow ... brilliant job. Agree that the panel lines in this kit you could plant spuds in. But Airfix seem to have got a grip on this now on their later 1/72 kits :)

BillyD