Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Ia - 1/72 Airfix

Here's my 1/72 Airfix Spitfire Mk.Ia (new mold) which originated from a starter set. OOB apart from Eduart pre painted harness, antenna from Tamiya Spitfire Mk.I & new antenna mount. I always scratch build the last part as the original part is lost in sanding. Kit is painted with Gunze Sanyo Mr colour Laquers thinned with hardware store universal thinner, they're really hardy paint + accurate in tone. Paints were faded with a little white for 'scale effect'.

Decals are Aeromaster for insignia, Ventura black serial #'s & Modeldecal code letters. Sealed with Gunze clear coats. Panel wash done with india ink which I won't use again, to difficult to clean up. Exhaust stains done by spraying dark grey then scrubbing in Humbrol Smoke pigment & chalk pastels. Oil stains done using Humbrol Gloss Oil Stain wash <- This stuff is brilliant btw.

I also see Airfix have used the same markings for their new mold 1/48 Spitfire Mk.I. Who wouldn't thought.

http://www.airfix.com/catalog/product/view/id/8404/category/56/

Enjoy :bounce:

100_1270.jpg

100_1272.jpg

100_1274.jpg

100_1275.jpg

100_1276.jpg

100_1277.jpg

• Like 23

Sweet Spitfire, you've certainly done a great bit of modelling on this one, look forward to seeing the others when finished,

Sean

Beautiful build with a super smooth finish!

Since you went to the trouble of lightening the colours for scale effect, I have to wonder why you more or less offset that ambition by applying such a stark, black wash to the panel lines (which are already too pronounced, courtesy of the toolmakers). It makes for a toylike impression, especially on the aft fuselage where you hardly see any 'panel lines' even in 1:1 scale… ;-)

A much more subdued panel accenting would elevate your Spit into another class of realism. All IMHO, of course.

Splendid modelling all the same!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys, it's a boost to see people enjoying my work.

Seamus - Yep she's a beaut little kit and a perfect stress buster OOB (almost), I only wish they couldn't done more with their Mk.IX and given it a better cockpit & enclosed wheel wells. looking at my stash it seems I have a BOB collection going on now too lol

Spitfire31 - I hear ya mate, made a right balls up of the panel wash and it still pisses me off with how stark it is. Normally I'd do a much more appropriate acrylic wash using a mix of thinned brown & black, however my brain was completely fried during 2014 and I went SNAFU with the ink. Said product is now binned to prevent future FUBARs. If you've read my In Progress you'll understand. Lesson learnt so onwards and skywards.

I will have to put up some more pics of my completed models of appropriate realism.

Edited by Tempestwulf

That,s a superb build and finish,love the colours and I,m guilty of over doing the wash on the panel lines on a good few builds of this kit!

The panel wash seems to be the consensus with this kit. I tried to weather it so your eye is drawn away from the deep black but some parts you can't get away from it. Although the Airfix Mk.Ia/II will always scream 'HEY GUYS, LOOK, PANEL LINES!"

Very neat paint job. I happen to be working on this very kit now. It's biggest flaw are those panel lines,so any wash seems exaggerated. I do think though that photos can be unfair to such a small model. Seen in reality the overall look probably works better.

For mine though. I'm filling the panel lines using the tippex method. We'll see how that works. I wish someone would invent a grey tippex?

Thanks for the further comments guys. I was working on the wings of the next two last night and should have them attached tonight. I usually get about 2 hours a night to work on them if I don't play games instead. Filling the panel lines with Tippex/Twink/correction fluid may be an option I could try as it's thing enough to work and cleans up easily so the panel lines aren't so reminiscent of WWI's front line.

Superb. Ifind these small kits a PITA to work on, but you've mastered this little beauty :)

That's no good Woody. The join of the wing is the worst part of the Spit, especially the fuselage extension at the rear as needs some pressure to stay so super glue was the go there.