masking for airbrush

jaffa

There's as many ways as there are modellers... I like a combination of Tamiya tape for the edge separation lines and Scotch 'Magic' tape (the frosted stuff) for the infill. I'd use Tamiya for all of it, but it's horrendously expensive here. That method will get you nice hard edges. If you want feathered edges, then you can either use BluTack or paper masks. Or an airbrush and skill. :)

How would you get the curves with tamiya a tape?

You "pull" it around the curves, using your thumb to force it into place. The tape is slightly stretchy, enough to do this. It's something that I know how to do, but find it hard to describe. Maybe try YouTube and see if there's a video, either for models or for custom car/bike work?

The narrower the tape the easier it is to get curves in it. We have rolls of 2mm & 3mm wide tape which is useful for this purpose.

There are some thinner tapes (down to 0.5mm). but the 2 or 3mm gives you enough room to mask off the rest of the model.

Paul

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes use insulation tape - cheaper than Tamiya. As on this recent Lancaster B2

Infilled with Copydex - cheaper than Maskol.

Masked001_zps4584ad63.jpg[/url]

Similar photos on my Lancaster GB from 2013 - using Tamiya

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933764-airfix-lancaster/

And my Manchester

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933765-manchester-revell-lanc-with-paragon-conversion/

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

Blu-tac sausages! Layout the blu-tac to mark the edges of the colours and fill in the bits you need to with tape or Maskol type stuff. The blu-tac has the advantage of being easy to force into nook and crannies, forming a good seal so you don't get annoying bleed through.

I did mine the Brett Green way , cutting paper the shape of the camo, and sticking it in place with little blobs of blue tack, this way you dont get a dead sharp line which would be more in keeping with the original

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234937354-revell-avro-lancaster-mk-3/?hl=%2Brevell+%2Blancaster

Edited by Stuck

I don't use Maskol because of the mess it makes of paintbrushes do you have any tips?

Rodders

I just used a paintbrush that I did not care too much about, picked off the worst of it with my fingers before it got dry and then soaked it in white spirit like I do with enamel paints. It worked fine for me.

I don't use Maskol because of the mess it makes of paintbrushes do you have any tips?

Laquer (cellulose) thinner cleans the brush right up. I have a small paint jar at hand, dip the brush in a couple of times and use a paper towel to pull the Maskol off the brush. Then another dip to clean up the residue. Been using the samebrush for two years.

Tim

Edited to fix spelling

Edited by Greenshirt

Possibly too late, but when I built one recently, I used blu-tac and clingfilm, with a smattering of tape for the camo:

10931497_919771344714345_786842950959970

And then Tamiya tape leavened with paper towel for the demarcation line:

10408108_920151701342976_247670949750868