German Democratic Republic: MiG-29

German Democratic Republic: MiG-29

German Democratic Republic, or East Germany, as a front-line Soviet puppet state were supplied with the cream of the soviet military hardware, including the MIG-15 from 1956 right though to the MiG-29

This build will be of the Airfix 1/72 MIG-15 in the typical East German camouflage scheme, rather then the silver usually seen on DDR MIG-15s.

Update: switched from MiG-15 to MiG-29 as prefer the available Camo options (MiG-15 single seater didn't have any :( )

Edited by Mop
  • Like 1

Good choice Mop. There's something 'industrial' about the East German insignia that I always thought looked as if it should be the company logo of a steel works or something similar. There's a good range of MiGs in this GB now.

• Like 1

Good choice Mop. There's something 'industrial' about the East German insignia that I always thought looked as if it should be the company logo of a steel works or something similar. There's a good range of MiGs in this GB now.

I must admit I've never seen a DDR Build until I was looking for options for the GB, but I agree... I can imagine the markings being painting ina steel plate and riveted on the wings :)

This is the kit I will be making (well, one half of it anyway ...)

72d1f7fc55d227f5a9eaf4bce96c5f7d.jpg

Never made this before, but the kit plastics have the same feel about them as the Airfix FRS1 kit I made recently and which I was very impressed with, so looking forward to making this one :)

3 sprues in the set:

25daea1b2687391531928c903074fd85.jpg

6c8608558d86a1c2b6f6a0c479ef88fc.jpg

9a00c97b6764e536272db777ea224bea.jpg

Plus the canopy:

c1e44065e4a2bd969b3f05a7f5632e4e.jpg

The decals don't come into play except for a cockpit control one, so not much point in posting that.

The markings I plan to print myself. Been meaning to try this for literally years, so this is the perfect opportunity to attempt this :)

• Like 1

What kind of decals are you going to use, Mop?

Namely (and AFAIK), these MiG-15s used to wear the original LSK insignia - which only consisted of national colours 'outlinned' in black, and was applied solely on the fin - and their V-VS borts.

Best GDR decals are from TOM (via Lindenhill or direct). Contains not only all variants of national insignias (early MiG-15 were black-red-yellow only) and all types of numbers but also a historical description.

BTW: GDR MiG-15bis never had cammo.

The MiG-17F of JBG-37 (Fighter-Bomber Sqdr. 37) got cammo from mid 70's, long time after retirement of MiG-15 single seater. This squadron had some MiG-15UTI (2-seater) and some of them wore cammo, but never a single seater.

The Mig-15 single seater had a short carrier in GDR AF, only to June 1957 (fighting units) and 1959 (training unit) respectively. Only the 2-seater survived to the 80's as there was never a MiG-17 2-seater. So if you have a pic of a camouflaged single seater - it's not original. Some strange things happend in certain museums....

I don't have one. There are some modelled planes like this, but the only accurate one I can see is the 2 seater UTI.

Shame really as I don't really like the MIG-15 in silver, so will probably change to another aircraft (or do a pair ... I have a cunning plan :) )

I'm actually sorry to hear you've changed from MiG-15bis to MiG-29 (and hope I didn't 'spoil the party' here): LSK's MiG-15s are extremely rarely modelled - even in Germany.

And this although they've had a story to say (something like: originally delivered already in 1953, to build-up a 'new Luftwaffe'; then there was a popular uprising in East Germany, which postponned this process for several years; then the build-up process was re-started - prompting London to re-vamp entire RAF Germany and equip so many squadrons with Sabres and Hunters, etc., etc., etc.)

I'm actually sorry to hear you've changed from MiG-15bis to MiG-29 (and hope I didn't 'spoil the party' here): LSK's MiG-15s are extremely rarely modelled - even in Germany.

And this although they've had a story to say (something like: originally delivered already in 1953, to build-up a 'new Luftwaffe'; then there was a popular uprising in East Germany, which postponned this process for several years; then the build-up process was re-started - prompting London to re-vamp entire RAF Germany and equip so many squadrons with Sabres and Hunters, etc., etc., etc.)

Well .... Because I did want to build that Airfix Club Kit Dogfight as per the [Korean War] boxart, I ended up buying another example to get a MiG-15 for this GB. Which means I have the extra MiG-15, which I am pretty sure will end as an LSK MiG-15, just not in this GB as I have a "Cammo head" on currently :) but once done, I'll be posting it here on Britmodeller :D

I was not aware of RAF Germany having Sabres? I could model the other half of the Airfix Club Kit as one of those Sabres :)

So ... My revised selection of the MiG-29 ....

Here is what I will be building:

imagejpg1-6.jpg

Of the three mainstream (to me) makes of kit, namely Airfix, Revell & Italeri, I tend to favour Italeri most in terms of their quality (rightly or wrongly), so am looking forward to this build :)

And the Sprues:

imagejpg4-1.jpg

imagejpg5-1.jpg

There is also a 2 part canopy in a plastic bag :)

The usual intro:

imagejpg2-5.jpg

I decided to go specifically for an issue which featured the LSK MiG-29 as it simplified the markings (being provided!) and the camouflage info was also right in the box as well:

imagejpg3-2.jpg

imagejpg7-1.jpg

Might have to hunt out two pilots anyway as no figures are provided, but chance are will model this with undercarriage down anyway as I tend to build that way usually.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Made a start to this baby :)

Started with the office:

970d31e57b1e5085f73e90e3a3f67312.jpg

ddc686ddff83d6ade52b0f195038506e.jpg

Fairly neat little sub-section. Plenty detail for me for a 1/72 kit. Need to paint the belt buckles, then spray a bit of Klear on and then will be just about ready to close up the clamshell fuselage :)

Edited by Mop

• 1 month later...

Been rather remiss at updating this thread :(

Some progress has been made. Not touched the kit for a few weeks, but IIRC the clamshell fuselage has been closed and the end wing section fitted, as well as the engine intakes. Decided NOT to follow the kit instruction order on tail fins though - seems much better to wait until near the end to fit that!

Some nice details on this kit :)

Don't think I have taken any in-progress photos though, which is annoying. I'll have to rectify that!

• Like 1

Not doing to well on the in-progress build photos on my various builds in this GB :(

This MiG-29 goes together to the stage show with very little drama though, so you haven't missed out on a lot ;)

The Cabin fitting did need a bit of care to align, so some dry-fitting is definately recommended here :)

Mig-29-Cabin.jpg

Top of the Shop:

Mig-29-Upper.jpg

As mentioned, waiting on the vertical surfaces as they are bound to get bent over at this stage in the construction and I can't see any reason to fit these until right at the end of the assembly

View from Underneath:

Mig-29-Lower.jpg

I tend to make my planes wheels-down, so likely to do the same on this one.

• Like 1