People's Republic of South Yemen: BAC 167 Strikemaster

People's Republic of South Yemen: BAC 167 Strikemaster

This build will be of a BAC 167 Strikemaster operated by the PRSY from 1969

When the PRSY then became the Marxist PDRY (People's Democratic Republic of Yemen) in 1970, they started getting resupplied with Soviet Aircraft and the Strikemaster likely became little-used and were sold onto Singapore.

• Like 2

The kit of choice for this will be the Airfix BAC 167 Strikemaster

96a9dd5eb6acbe37649ba00b5e0c352f.jpg

The Yemeni Strikemaster was the Mk81. This kit is of the Mk88

b6478bb60bbd183c9b1d575c2069df2f.jpg

I don't however think there are any significant differences between the two. (the various Mk.8x codes were to signify exports to different countries, not specifically variants of design)

The kit looks fairly basic but pretty tidy

c639cd7c1b23832d3d59e2b3e8ec0b11.jpg

ab5003225e7648a8fa275c0aefe4b3a8.jpg

Decals from the kit will not be used. I will be attempting to print my own for this one (fingers crossed!).

• Like 2

You've missed this then? Might give you some inspiration (or demoralisation) http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234944337-172-jet-provosts/page-86

Aha.

Nope. While I appreciate and admire those with that attention to detail and exactness, I make a kit pretty well as Airfix, Revell, Italeri, etc provided it and not attempt an exact replica of the real thing :)

A photo (or two) of aircraft in original South Arabian Air Force markings can be found here.

I'm quite sure to have seen somebody who was making decal sheets with such markings (and those for the subsequent PDRYAF), recently. Perhaps at Telford...?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, finally the paint has hit the plastic ...

The Strikemaster office has been started:

601498c80fd0a7adc07c13ea83a371a7.jpg

This is a little unusual construction in that the floor, control sticks and instrument panel gets put together, and fitted, closing the fuselage and THEN the seats go in :)

• 1 month later...

So where are we know. A picture tells a thousand words... Not got any so have to waffle instead!

Fair progress. Basic aircraft is now constructed save for undercarriage, pilots, canopy and details; The ordenance has been put together and in the process of seam removal.

Not made this little kit before and it is a nice one. Pleased that I chose to do this alongside the MB326 as they are very similar conceptually and in appearance, but have their differences at the same time (I also have an A-37 'Dragonfly' to build which will be a nice partner to the pair).

Will take some photos today hopefully and post up.

Oh, and one thing I have yet to sort out is the markings! The plan is to print my own Yemeni decals, and never (successfully) printed on decal paper, so that will be a challenge :)

Edited by Mop

Talking about decals: I'm keeping a look at this thread since it's start... and at first I was wondering what kind of markings are you going to apply to this Strikemaster T.Mk.81.

This morning it 'dawned' upon me: they were delivered only starting with 1970, three years after the country was re-named from 'Southern Arabia' to the People's Democratic Republic of Yemen.

It was four Jet Provost T.Mk.52s that had their SAAF markings replaced with those of the PDRYAF, in December 1967.

It is hard getting concrete info on this, and to be perfectly honest, I tend to make representative models rather then modelling on a absolute specific aircraft, so to confirm the markings I had in mind, I did some Internet searching.

As it happens, a perfect example is actually on this forum :)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/45130-jet-provost-strikemaster/?p=485019

(2nd picture down for anyone not familiar with the PRSY Airforce)

Edited by Mop
  • Like 1

So, a couple of photos ...

Construction completed except for Undercarriage. Seam sanding completed on fuselage halves; little bit of filling and fixing needed on wingtips.

Strikemaster-2.jpg

Strikemaster-1.jpg

• Like 1