1/72 intake/grille mesh - what to buy?

Raven Morpheus

Hello

I'm itching to build my Italeri 1/72 UH-34 Sea Horse but I want to remove the plastic in the grilles at the front as I think once painted it will look a bit rubbish, even if I mask it off to begin with to avoid clogging it up with paint.

So, I'm wondering what sort of mesh I could get hold of in 1/72 scale, preferably cheap stuff, or what others have used for similar intakes/grilles?

TIA

Thanks for the tip. Not sure what "grade" to buy though, there seem to be several ranging from WM040 up to WM0100.

Reasonably priced though.

I've sent the seller a message enquiring about the size, I'd rather not buy one of each size because I'm unlikely to use most of it...

Have a look at tea strainers. They have to be pretty fine mesh to be useful; the plastic ones tend to be finer, though I prefer metal. You can get a few square inches of mesh for about £1 if you're canny. You may even find that part of the bowl isn't a bad match for the curvature you need.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I recently found some very fine mesh-like fabric on the inside of a broken headphone earbud... Its only one square cm, but i guess i might be able to use it for a fod grille on a 1/7e scale spitfire carburettor intake....So perhaps broken audio equiptment like speakers and microphones could have somme hidden treasures in the mesh department (likely fine copper wire to). Ive also used metal tape with a pattern scribed in with a hobby knife to simulate a radiator grille. Its not easy to reproduce the fine detail, but you have full controle over the pattern. You van also for example roll a textured knife handel over it to reproduceren Diamond patterns etc.

There are various grades of mesh available from this site. Some of the packets state the "strands per inch".

http://www.jaysmodelkits.com/jaysmk/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=o04pp4d9mp2i10pgvkm3laqp33&keyword=mesh

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I discovered something else yesterday: the foils in electric shavers can be ideal. It won't be a true interwoven mesh - it's more of a perforated screen, with circular holes in a honeycomb pattern - but there are applications where that's right, and at any distance it should look convincing. And, as you'll have already bought it for shaving with, it's effectively free. (Doesn't apply to Philishaves, of course.)

Have a look at the mesh on that Apollo Crawler wip He used stainless mesh. he answered my question about it.Here is his answer and then go back a few pages.Post 315 on page 16 and there are loads more pics around those pages.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959313-apollo-crawler-at-172-scale/page-22#entry1878224

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1