1/350 IJN "AKAGI"

Thanks everyone for your comments! Glad to hear you are doing the frameworks Warren...your Akagi is looking great!

This evenings small update....

The 8 towers for the stern deck piece (the one with the trams installed) are now painted:

IMG_3230_zps4wqnqfxk.jpg

And I also got the middle deck frameworks installed:

IMG_3227_zpsx3rchanq.jpg

IMG_3222_zpsj0km90ty.jpg

Next to be done will be the bow deck, so please check back! Cheers, Tim

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

And yes, I will try in the future to put something in the pics for scale...I usually try to have my tweezers or something in each pic, but sometimes I forget.

Haha...even the support columns have support columns!! Forgot about these until the end, which was a mistake as they were difficult to install after the bigger columns were installed. But here they are:

unpainted:

IMG_3264_zps1afleyxr.jpg

painted:

IMG_3266_zpswgvymag8.jpg

extreme closeup, installed:

IMG_3268_zpsxvopllpy.jpg

IMG_3270_zpsezft85a1.jpg

• Like 4

I think I may have to upset my wife and put the Akagi in my "waiting to build" collection after seeing this level of detail. I think it'll sit nicely next to my Zuikaku, and the others :)

Thanks for the inspiration Tim, although I'm not too sure my wife would thank you lol ;)

• Like 3

You certainly made the right call with the contrasting paint between deck underside and the framework! I have spent a good couple of hours looking at the aft section with the tramways simply because of the clarity of your work! Very enjoyable!

hehe, thanks Dylan...you can blame me if you want ;)

And I was quite gratified to read your comment Jockster!...thanks for that buddy!

Got alot done this weekend, the weather is terrible here, blizzard...but as long as the power doesn't go off, thats fine with me.

hehe ... guess I left these parts sitting around too long...a spider decided to inspect my work close up. ;)

IMG_3280_zpspddh6h2f.jpg

Bow deck photoetch installed:

IMG_3282_zpszutfcoij.jpg

IMG_3284_zps2ui6qpij.jpg

IMG_3283_zpsj1wfrosj.jpg

Just have to add 4 pillars into this part, and then ready (I think) to install the 3 deck pieces onto the hull.

IMG_3285_zpseycd4zzd.jpg

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome! -Tim

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
  • Like 5

Thx Chris..and good luck with your Gato!

Posts added to the bow deck, just about ready to install the decks on the hull. I have some work within the hull to complete first (mounting nuts to be attached) and I wanted to test the LED lighting as well. The spars extending to posts have not been glued in place yet as I wanted to leave a little wiggle room for the time when the bottom of the posts are attached to the hull.. and they may be moved slightly. Once the posts are in, both top and bottom ends, then I'll glue those spar extentions in place.

IMG_3291_zpscaruflaj.jpg

IMG_3297_zpsdqchdmdr.jpg

Awesome work Mr Numb... aka Tim

I am going to steal an idea you used and use a dark colour under the flight deck pieces but I am not going to spray mine silver. I am very close to deciding to leave it lal natural brass.. or maybe some parts brass and others silver... Oh dear...

Cheers

Warren

• Like 1

Warren: "very close to deciding to leave it lal natural brass"

....check this out Warren, I left ALL the photoetch "natural":

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234907768-1350-nagato-lionroar/

And thanks Colin...I use ZAP brand Thin CA for most of the pe. I break off the eye of a sewing needle leaving a small V-shape where the eye used to be, touch the needle into a small bit of CA, and then just touch the joint and the CA will flow via capillary action into the joint and it will basically disappear (as long as you don't use too much glue) It takes very little to get a good join. Hope that helps.

• Like 5

Hello Tim, I know you have been asked a gazzillion times about how you glue with no obvious spots, so thanks for the tip above! I had heard about the sewing needle trick but could never figure out how it would work - now I know, all I gotta do is try it. I have been using fishing line as an applicator and that is fine usually but sometimes the curl in the line sends it the wrong way if you know what I mean.

I agree about the contrast of the paintwork on the underdeck girders, it makes them stand out brilliantly.

All the best, Ray

I use those thin pipettes you push onto the bottle to apply my Extra-thin CA glue. Then I use a satay stick (pointy wooden skewer) to apply the accelerator. It also helps that glues I use dry clear.

Cheers

Warren

Thanks guys!

I have the middle deck (first pic) permanently installed now(2nd pic):

IMG_3225_zpsfp9miyfh.jpg

IMG_3337_zps1us3ryzl.jpg

Misc pic of the superstructure:

IMG_3328_zps3reim5zx.jpg

Props, shafts and rudders installed also:

IMG_3334_zpswr3v9rtz.jpg

I will have better pics tomorrow from a lower angle so you can see the photoetch as installed.

Also up next is the bow deck, so be sure to check back! thx-Tim

• Like 8

It all looks fabulous, but the chains above those two whalers (the two boats prominent in your third picture above) are surely hugely over-scale; they look like anchor cables in relative size, whereas I assume in real life they are either lifelines or part of the securing arrangements to protect the fragile boats in a big sea. Either way they should be about the same size as the gripes (the off-White diagonal jobbers), or smaller.

Really not-picking point in such an awesome build, but if it were my build I'd want someone to tell me!

• Like 2

Like I did 3 weeks ago on the port side? *wink

IMG_3039_zpsnyoaziml.jpg

I have been in the process of changing out both the bow anchor chains and the davit spanner chains...started last month with the port side (as above) and will get to the other next week maybe. I really wanted to get those decks installed first.

• Like 5