Vallejo Resin Masking Fluid - Any Good?

Tomjw

Does anyone have any experience of masking large areas with Vallejo Resin Masking Fluid? I plan to use it over Gunze, Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics.

Tia.

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Although I like Vallejo products I would give their masking fluid a miss. It's not that good. Use artists masking fluid instead, and buy a coloured version if you can, it makes it easier to use if you are doing camo patterns. I masked a deck with W&N masking fluid and it worked a treat.

Best Wishes,

Will.

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

Although I like Vallejo products I would give their masking fluid a miss. It's not that good. Use artists masking fluid instead, and buy a coloured version if you can, it makes it easier to use if you are doing camo patterns. I masked a deck with W&N masking fluid and it worked a treat.

Best Wishes,

Will.

Thanks Will. I looked at the W&N masking fluid but was concerned because it contained ammonia just like Humbrol maskol. I noticed there were a few W&N masking fluids. Which one did you use?

Sorry for the additional questions.

Tom.

I bought a bottle as a change from my Mr mask or whatever it's called.

I find it quite thin and on application it can be hard to see what it's covered, but generally I quite like it. I did find the gunze stuff could be difficult to lift once dried whereas this comes up more easily.

I use both Humbrol Maskol and a locally produced product aimed at the artist. I also always wet the brush before applying the fluid, it helps with application and washing the brush afterwards.

Colin

I'm the opposite and have used the Valiejo fluid and find it great, and has been said, ammonia free so it won't attack your acrylic paint.

Bit of a pain to apply on a large area as it drys so quick

Edit: Although the stuff I used didn't say Resin fluid,

I'm the opposite and have used the Valiejo fluid and find it great, and has been said, ammonia free so it won't attack your acrylic paint.

Bit of a pain to apply on a large area as it drys so quick

Edit: Although the stuff I used didn't say Resin fluid,

Thanks Colin. I will need to mask some pretty large areas so it may not be of use to me.

Cheers,

Tom.

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Tom,

Sorry about the late reply, I've been off-board for a week. I used the Winsor and Newton's masking fluid available at Hobbycraft. It's a pale buff colour and smells of ammonia. It didn't damage the paint I used, but if was fully cured as I had put the first coat on a some time earlier. If it has ammonia in it, it might damage recently applied paint that hasn't fully cured. You can get masking fluids that don't have ammonia in them - Vallejo for example, if you are worried it might be worth looking at them.

Best Wishes,

Will.

HI Tom,

Sorry about the late reply, I've been off-board for a week. I used the Winsor and Newton's masking fluid available at Hobbycraft. It's a pale buff colour and smells of ammonia. It didn't damage the paint I used, but if was fully cured as I had put the first coat on a some time earlier. If it has ammonia in it, it might damage recently applied paint that hasn't fully cured. You can get masking fluids that don't have ammonia in them - Vallejo for example, if you are worried it might be worth looking at them.

Best Wishes,

Will.

Many thanks Will. I'll give it a try.

Cheers,

Tom.

Hi Tom,

There are couple of demos on YouTube showing how to use masking fluid on models and you might find them useful. They are for guys who paint figures, but the general principles will be the same. One or two of them rave about Vallejo masking fluid, it's a pity I couldn't get it to work well enough for me.

Best Wishes,

Will.

Hi Tom,

There are couple of demos on YouTube showing how to use masking fluid on models and you might find them useful. They are for guys who paint figures, but the general principles will be the same. One or two of them rave about Vallejo masking fluid, it's a pity I couldn't get it to work well enough for me.

Best Wishes,

Will.

Excellent, thanks. I will check them out this weekend.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 1

I've been using Humbrol's maskol on Humbrol's, Vallejo's, and Tamiya's acrylics for two years now. No issues. I do let the paint fully cure for 48 hours before I apply it, and remove it as soon as I can after painting.

Tim

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Greenshirt