RAF jet fest Part 2 - Phantom done - Jaguar fun/pain next...

RMP2

Tell me about it! Like you I tend to buy in little batches over time which ultimately costs the same but lessens the impact in my head. Terrible habitual lying to myself...! I suspect my Jag now has quite a lot invested in it, which is ridiculous given that the kit itself cost me a barely noticeable £10! To answer your question it is therefore the Airfix version that I'm working on and as I have at least three in the stash I basically wanted to build one or two of those before being tempted by the Kittyhawk one and adding to the pile. That kind of led me to wonder what could be made of the golden oldie if I spent a lot of time (and some money) on it. It's a decent enough shape, just clunky in detail.

Sadly, time is never in my favour. Your suggestion about starting a thread made me dig out the one I started some time ago only to discover that it began in February...! That's even worse than I thought but here it is. I'll try and update it soon before the gap between posts gets even more embarrassing.

Oh and as for those decals, I've just looked the sheet up and it contained 14 aircraft:

Jaguar GR.1, XX824-A, 14 Squadron, RAF Bruggen, June 1976

Jaguar GR.1, XZ105-Y, 2 Squadron, RAF Laarbruch, July 1980

Jaguar GR.1A, XZ104-24, 2 Squadron, RAF Laarbruch, 1988

Jaguar GR.1, XX970-DD-C, 31 Squadron, RAF Bruggen, June 1980

Jaguar GR.1, XZ391-DP-E, 31 Squadron, RAF Bruggen, July 1980

Jaguar GR.1, XX963-AL, 14 Squadron, RAF Bruggen, June 1976

Jaguar T.2, XX844-DZ, 31 Squadron, RAF Bruggen, February 1981

Jaguar GR.1A, XZ113-30, 2 Squadron, RAF Laarbruch (Gibraltar), 1983

Jaguar GR.1, XZ375-CB-B, 20 Squadron, RAF Bruggen (Wildenrath), June 1978

Jaguar T.2, XX844-DZ, 31 Squadron, RAF Bruggen, February 1981

Jaguar GR.1, XX744-S, Station Commander's Hack, RAF Bruggen, March 1978

Jaguar GR.1, XZ371-BP, 17 Squadron, RAF Bruggen, 1979

Included external markings/stencils for the camo jets, including some early ones with the light undersides. Also prominent internal stencils such as those inside the undercarriage bays and around the cockpit were in there along with various styles for the early/late fuel tanks and even the writing on the intake FOD guards in case people want to scratch build them.

I have absolutely no idea when Andreas plans to release it - perhaps he's waiting for an appropriate moment but I'll mention it to him, just as much for my own personal interest, and let you know.

Best of luck with the build - can't wait to see your combined diorama of Phantom and Jag. Merry Christmas again.

Andy

Im wanting an Omani Jag in their usual rather low level flight with dust clouds n stuff going on - some time in the future - and was thinking of using the Airfix Jag for that, bit bored of spending £60-80+ in total on a single 1/48 plane, but will see how I get on with the KH first.

Just had a look and chucked a post on your thread, I will be following that - thats some serious work youre putting in there and the Tornado... man, that is very nice indeed although I could have done without seeing it. ;)

Time. Aye. Took me over 12 months to do a simple Lightning, almost a year for a Phantom, even Starfighters seem to take months. But who cares? If they turn out something like your Tonka then all is good.

The decals do sound nice, but on second thoughts perhaps a little much for me both in quantity and possibly price - I appreciate theres little money to be made from them, Im not moaning about the cost, just that for what I need/can justify its potentially a bit much. I am more than happy to be tempted by a preview photo or two though. :) I mean, I could always do another RAFG Jag with rockets/AIM-9s or something... 2019?

Cheers, Merry Christmas.

Now, get back to your neglected Jag, poor thing.

Edited by RMP2

Yes, there's something about those Omani schemed Jags isn't there? I did see a lovely build of one a while back but can't for the life of me think where that was.

No worries on the decals - it wasn't a sales pitch (makes no difference to my wallet) - I just produced them on Andreas' request and you just made me think of them, that's all. There's some cool little-known markings on there so I can see myself building one or two more (who am I kidding...?) when he does print them.

Thanks for the nudge on my thread - I'll try and post something after the Christmas fun with family!

Why do I insist on putting myself through this pain?

20151228_193025.jpg

20151228_193103.jpg

Still more PE to go on, but getting there. Things should move along at warp speed once thats all sorted....

• Like 2

Cheers. Im still hoping to do mine the same, but the front hatches fit concerns me a little, so Im covering my buttocks, that and the PE for them came with the cockpit bits.

Have you made a start yet?

Im going for flaps and slats down and I see there is a PE "spoiler" for the tops of the wings - I dont think Ive ever seen them open, might have to rummage for more photos out of curiosity, but suspect they will be shut too.

A dry fit of the cockpit and front wheel well into the fuselage did not go well. Not too sure if its the fuselage warps thats the issue or if the cockpit tub needs fettling. It made me rather grumpy though, so thats enough for today.

End of play (toys out of shot, on the floor again):

20151228_230454.jpg

• Like 1

Sussed the fit issue. Its a combination of warped fuselage, optimistic cockpit locating thinking and either/both the cockpit tub or wheel well that it sits on is/are too tall. Not insurmountable, but a bit of a pain as I was thinking of glueing the forward fuselage to the rear section before closing it up, the fiddling and poking about that the cockpit needs to play ball dont really make that an option for me.

Too many Hasegawa kits can spoil ones perception of what a ~£40 1/48 kit can be when its not made by Hasegawa. Or Airfix. That last bit was mean. :)

Oh - Trevor - dont forget that the large main wheel doors are usually shut on the deck. Saves a bit of wheel well detail stuff. ;)

Edited by RMP2

Im going for flaps and slats down and I see there is a PE "spoiler" for the tops of the wings - I dont think Ive ever seen them open, might have to rummage for more photos out of curiosity, but suspect they will be shut too.

Apart from in maintenance I've not seen a Jag with spoilers up when sitting dormant. It's a quirky thing that modern technology has allowed kit manufacturers to do but it has limited use if trying to stay reasonably accurate - unless any Jag experts out there can correct me. The new 1/48 Revell Tornado is another example of providing pose-able spoilers I believe.

That cockpit's looking fab by the way...

I think the spoilers would erm, spoil the Jag lines. The flaps n slats are ok in my eyes, I like a Jag hanging it all out, but any more seems fussy and a bit weird. Really hope I can keep the front fuse doors shut despite the gubbins in there. We will see.

Cheers. Im not 100% happy with the cockpit, but thats normal isnt it? Which reminds me - dont sand the bottom of the cockpit sidewalls down to allow for AM PE space, KH already allowed for that due to their own PE. Bit of a Doh there but the gap wont be seen when its in, CA has gone in the gap and paint will follow just to be sure.

Shame about the tub overall fit... mutter mutter... Airfix doesnt seem so bad... mutter mutter... Much dry fitting will ensue, take nothing for granted with this kit, as per the reviews.

RMP!

Good going so far. No not started mine yet as I am finishing off what is in my KUTA pile and I was collecting after market goodies before starting this. (May post some pics tonight).

Besides, I am taking careful note of the bear traps you are pointing out so that hopefully I can avoid them. ;)

Your comments re the nose undercarriage bay/cockpit area are interesting as I was lead to believe that the cockpit was a tad shallow - it appears otherwise.

Keep the faith and soldier on!

Trevor

Got the cockpit in after some pretty serious sanding of the tub floor - managed to just go through it at the front but shouldnt be seen. Also had a quick sand of the edges of the front wheel well to get another 1/4mm or so.

Before:

20151229_132037.jpg

20151229_132722.jpg

After:

20151229_134212.jpg

20151229_134141.jpg

20151229_134408.jpg

Figured while I was checking fit I would see about general fuselage stuff and its not looking too terrible. Bare in mind these pics are without pressure applied to any areas as unfortunately I only have two hands. Zaphod was a lucky bugger.

The engine covers will be a bit tricky, glue in sections is the way there I think, and the little chopping I did there a few posts back really helped, or at least I think so at this point anyway.

20151229_135533.jpg

20151229_135621.jpg

With a little squeeze:

20151229_140933.jpg

Without a little squeeze:

20151229_141010.jpg

The fit after the little mods I did to the edges a few posts back whilst still in place ok underneath:

20151229_141131.jpg

Again, with a little pressure these gaps close up pretty well, just going to have to be careful:

20151229_141157.jpg

So. Right now, it could be worse. Most of my toys have been picked up and repaired, but I think the slinky is beyond help.

Watch it with this kit - it bites.

20151229_171548.jpg

Wondering about the windows on the nose and the lens that sits behind them and the best way to paint that? The windows are very clear and not all that small small so a bit will be seen.

Im thinking perhaps Interior Green over the nose section first (windows masked) so that will be seen on the inside, then just whack some silver on the back of the lens, maybe some Tamiya smoke on the front of it?

Here are the parts I mean, far left is the lens, far right the nose piece:

20151229_182018.jpg

When I was making my trio in 72th scale Steve 'Fritag' gave me a beautiful link to a picture of the real thing if it's of any use to you

http://sepecat.info/images/43-moore2/willm-03.jpg

I used it 'sort of' to get something looking OKish

What they give you in the kit is quantum leaps above and beyond what Airfix and Hasegawa gave me

But........

Loving this, the Cat was one of my true favourites, back then ;)

• Like 1

Thanks very much for that. :)

Im experimenting with clear green, silver backing and smoke at the mo. I darent attempt something to replicate that photo exactly... well... maybe Ill have a shot at something, seems silly not to - as you say something is supplied for it, so may as well fiddle with it. Whats the worst that could happen? :shutup:

Yea, I always come back to Jags. I like the ethos of playing hard but having little power, need to work the chassis hard when grunt isnt there.

• Like 1

As promised I've done some photos of the Flightpath set that I obtained from Hannants mainly for the drop tanks

4F7FCDFD-F5E0-4805-B45D-9D524811EC49_zps

98D87438-1706-47A7-BD18-36DF618B7388_zps

Here is the replacement drop tank. No idea if the kit one is correct for a French machine though

02475D0C-17E0-4789-A292-F7C9BF71CEC5_zps

Whilst I'm at it, here is the replacement pitot tube

C280C903-5439-44C6-910E-50FC1C81EAA2_zps

I have never worked with resin or brass for that matter so that will be interesting when I get that far!

As I said this will be my big build for 2016, so progress will be slow.....

Trevor

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that Trevor, as I've been wondering whether to invest in this set, for the fuel tanks mainly. The only problem is I shan't need the rest of it for my builds so it's an expensive option!

Thanks for posting that Trevor, as I've been wondering whether to invest in this set, for the fuel tanks mainly. The only problem is I shan't need the rest of it for my builds so it's an expensive option!

Ditto. I feel obliged to use the rest myself, especially as I invested in the 'wrong' Model Alliance sheet which sorts of condemns me to building a boring grey kitty but with a nice blue/gold tail to make it look nicer.

If I want a proper grey/green Jag, I'll have to finish my 1/72 Revell GR.1..........

Trevor

If I want a proper grey/green Jag, I'll have to finish my 1/72 Revell GR.1..........

I have the MA "RAF Jaguars Part 1" sheet that Ill use only the stencils and roundels etc from, but none of the squadron markings if theyre any use to you?

Look out for the engine doors fit after the engines are in place. They were pushed out alot on mine, requiring much fettling & filling!

Unfortunately you can't just leave the engines off, as all the reheat section is hanging out the rear.

The undercarriage doors were usually open when parked on the ground. The doors were opened/closed by the liney as part of the see in/off procedure

I just painted the inside of the nose black. IIRC it was usually a dark place in there. There was a dark foam lining to the inside of the nose panel when I saw it removed for the fairies to play with the LRMTS.

I'm currently applying decals to mine. Not as many stencils as the Phantom, but enough to go aaaarrrgggg! (MA Jaguar set with the 16 Sqn saint tail).

Wondering about the windows on the nose and the lens that sits behind them and the best way to paint that? The windows are very clear and not all that small small so a bit will be seen.

Two other options...

1) Take a small piece of clear plastic sheet, paint the details on to it and then fit that inside the nose (I've used this technique for the nose of a Harrier).

2) Fit a protective cover over the LRMTS window. Jags didn't often have one fitted but I have got photos showing one now and again.

Lovely, cheers for that. Bit confused by the main gear doors, will double check photos as I was sure....

In this link (when zoomed in) I thought I could see a bit of that nasty greeny yellow. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/JaguarGR1_41Sqn_refueling_Gulf1991.jpeg

This one kind of confirmed it a bit, albeit very dirty. http://sepecat.info/images/43-moore2/willm-03.jpg

Saints colours was my second choice. Looking forward to pics! :)

Two other options...

1) Take a small piece of clear plastic sheet, paint the details on to it and then fit that inside the nose (I've used this technique for the nose of a Harrier).

2) Fit a protective cover over the LRMTS window. Jags didn't often have one fitted but I have got photos showing one now and again.

Cheers.

Is there not a goldfish bowl affair over the top of whats seen in that last link I posted above? Are my eyes assuming things?

I was considering pin drilled holes in the supplied "lens" and a tiny bit of black paint for the gubbins. I may well chicken out though, its a lot for a tiny part thatll look ok with a thin coat of clear green on the front and silver behind going by the former pic in my last post. Maybe...?

Nah, covers would look odd to me, although I am intrigued, Ive not seen those before.

Edited by RMP2