I'm pulling a bit of an 'Enzo' for this GB and hope to complete four builds, all 1/72:

1. Academy P-40E as a USAAF 11 FS 'Aleutian Tiger'. I know this scheme has been done to death, but it wouldn't be a proper Aleutian collection without it. I bought the Quickboost spinner and propeller set for this kit, and I may try and attach a different canopy if my skills allow.

2. AZ/Legato Kittyhawk IA of RCAF 111 Sqn that served in Alaska, and it points out the fact that the British Commonwealth was active in the defense of US territory and North America itself.

3. Sword P-40K of RCAF 111 Sqn as flown by Sqn Ldr Ken Boomer when he achieved the RCAF's only aerial victory to take place over North America. Of note is that his aircraft was indeed a P-40K and not a Kittyhawk III, as for a period weather conditions were too dangerous to bring in more aircraft and several USAAF P-40K's were 'deputized' by 111 Sqn with RCAF roundels replacing the USAAF stars, but otherwise retaining USAAF markings and serial numbers.

4. Sword P-40K of the USAAF 344th FS based on Shemya Island, in a silver scheme - just because I think it would be fun to make a silver Aleutian P-40.

IMG_1254_zps613a5c26.jpg

The plan is to start the P-40E and Kittyhawk IA together and then follow on with the P-40K's if things are going smooth enough.

I grew up in Alaska, but have never visited any of the Aleutian Islands (the state is gigantic). Even though I now live in 'the lower 48', the Aleutian conflict still retains my interest to this day. It is often referred to as the 'Forgotten War' in Alaska. It is so forgotten that I think that the rest of the country feels that the phrase should refer to the Korean War.

IMG_1255_zps25b856fa.jpg

Above are a few references for the builds.

Thanks Mish, Mungo, Dazdot and Wyvern for organizing this group build - can't wait to get started.

Edited by Cookenbacher
  • Like 11

Cockpits:

IMG_1257_zpsc36bc95f.jpg

The Academy is on the right and the AZ/Legato is on the left. I added masking tape seat belts to the Academy, while the Legato had them nicely molded already.

Here are the Academy P-40E cockpit sidewalls:

IMG_1258_zpsed5234be.jpg

I used Vallejo Zinc Chromate green cut with a little Light Ghost grey for the interior colour.

Here they are with fuselages zipped up after both put up quite a fight.

IMG_1260_zps1af2638b.jpg

The instrument panel and radiator firewall on the Academy were too big for the fuselage to fit tightly, and the Legato is just a short run kit with no locating pins for anything.

It's my second attempt at a short run kit of any type - the first is the unfinished Spitfire IIB below (I started it a week or two ago, because I couldn't start the P-40's yet and needed something to tinker with):

IMG_1252_zps3d20ee7c.jpg

So I've got some seams to clean up, but not so bad considering how much trouble I had getting them together.

Edited by Cookenbacher
  • Like 4

The comparison between the two P-40s will be interesting! I believe both are great kits to tinker with.

The other day I bought all sort of aftermarket goodies for the Academy model at Mrs. Hannants, but I chickened out buying the kit (great logic there!). Just as well as that would have been the kit too many stopping me to close my suitcase... But at least I have the corrected spinner, which is what put me off buying it before.

Are you changing anything in that sector on the Academy kit?

It does look excellent so far

JR

• Like 2

The other day I bought all sort of aftermarket goodies for the Academy model at Mrs. Hannants, but I chickened out buying the kit (great logic there!).

I've done that as well, on the theory that a kit without all the aftermarket is just going to take up space, so I might as well fill that space with the stuff I'd need if I make an impulse buy later. I know this makes no sense.

I have the Sword 2-in-1 RAF boxing, but I'm too frightened of canopy masking to try it.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody - it seems I've hit the elusive 'like' button quota that was mentioned in one of the Lightning STGB threads. I don't remember clicking it that often.

Take my interior painting with a grain of salt Hockeyboy. I just web searched 'P-40 cockpit', stared at some results, shut off the computer, and then painted what I could remember.

Jean: I'm planning on using the Quickboost spinner as once the Academy spinners rounded look was pointed out, I knew it would bother me. I should have bought a few as the Legato spinner is fine in shape but has a big sink mark that is going to be difficult to fill. I was going to raid my other two Legato kits, but they have the same sink marks.

I've also seen somewhere that the Academy canopy is too tall and upright due to the rear fuselage not tapering toward the rear canopy. Now that I have the fuselages together, I'll investigate and report back.

PC: Thanks for the Spitfire compliment - means a lot coming from an accomplished Spit builder such as yourself! Hopefully these two P-40's will go well enough that I can build the Sword pair too, and be able to give you some tips for once (if all goes well).

Edited by Cookenbacher
  • Like 1

I've never seen a Legato P-40 before. Honestly, I'm incredibly confused about the various UK/Commonwealth marks and US versions, and always felt like if I researched them I'd be heading down a lengthy rabbit hole.

PC: Thanks for the Spitfire compliment - means a lot coming from an accomplished Spit builder such as yourself! Hopefully these two P-40's will go well enough that I can build the Sword pair too, and be able to give you some tips for once (if all goes well).

I've just built a lot of 'em, I haven't built many well! (Although I'm pretty proud of my AZ Spitfire 21.) I'm definitely going to be following along on this, I hope you'll share your thoughts on difficulties along the way to be aware of. This thread will or won't sell a Legato P-40, your experience depending...

• Like 1

Your latest Mk IX's look pretty dang great too!

The rabbit hole on this one really isn't too bad PC:

P-40B/C - Tomahawk

P-40D - Kittyhawk I

P-40E - Kittyhawk IA

P-40F/L - Kittyhawk II, Merlin engined

P-40K/M - Kittyhawk III

P-40N - Kittyhawk IV

There are of course some confusing details - tail fillets, long/short tails, number of guns, etc - but it's nothing like Spitfires.

I think Legato, as a brand, is being phased out - but the kit is still in production as an AZ product with PE or resin parts. The Legatos are still in shops and much cheaper than the AZ boxes, but don't have the resin/PE.

So far, I prefer the Legato to the Academy, since it looks more like a P-40 in my amateur opinion, but it's been a more difficult build than the AZ short-run Spitfire. The most difficult thing has been the bits around the radiator intakes - the Legato is three pieces that all have to fit perfectly in order to fit in the fuselage properly - it's like having to deal with a second cockpit when fitting the fuselage halves together.

The Academy was a little easier, but some of the bits were too wide for the fuselage and required surgery. Normally, I would chalk that up to my inexperience with a kit, but the wide parts were just too wide straight from the sprue. It's hard to accidentally add material to a part while cutting it from the tree.

Edited by Cookenbacher
  • Like 1

Researching the Academy P-40 on the web has convinced me to change out the spinner with the Quickboost set, and there are threads (of course I can't find the links now) showing that the Academy canopy is too tall and the windscreen is not 'swept' back enough.

This has been stated to be the result of the Academy rear fuselage not tapering toward the canopy.

IMG_1261_zps18a7af97.jpg

The AZ/Legato kit is above, with the Academy shown below. It appears that the internet is right in this case - the Legato rear fuselage top is sort of bowed, while the Academy is very straight. Reference pics and drawings seem to agree with the Legato interpretation.

Here is a pic comparing the Academy windscreen (right) and Legato canopy (left):

IMG_1264_zps8081d5c1.jpg

It does indeed appear that the Academy version is more 'upright'.

I've decided to replace the Academy canopy with a Legato one. Luckily I have two more Legato kits, and can scavenge a canopy from one of them, and find a replacement at a later date.

A little filing on the fuselage was required to be able to test fit the new canopy:

IMG_1266_zps3ff331c8.jpg

I've seen this done somewhere before (on that thread I can no longer find - I thought for sure I had bookmarked it!), but it's as far as they got. I've decided that I'm quite foolhardy enough to attempt sanding down the Academy fuselage to match - hey, the kit only cost me $9 US.

IMG_1268_zps6b2b4c86.jpg

Good enough I say, still some clean up required, but I think the result will be more satisfying than having left it as-is.

• Like 4

I cautiously dare you to join this GB, bearing in mind the terrible struggle that resulted the last time. But, I think we all came out a little stronger and wiser from your Sword Lightning build.

Also, where is Stew Dapple? I'm sure there is a P-40 scheme out there that's esoteric enough to entice him to join this party.

I cautiously dare you to join this GB, bearing in mind the terrible struggle that resulted the last time. But, I think we all came out a little stronger and wiser from your Sword Lightning build.

Also, where is Stew Dapple? I'm sure there is a P-40 scheme out there that's esoteric enough to entice him to join this party.

I think Stew typically sticks with 1940 or earlier, but you know, I don't think I've seen him around lately.

As for myself, while I do have the Sword two-in-one, I have no masks for it, and I've started on a Lancaster so should be busy for a while. I'll have to live vicariously through you.

• Like 1

You're a glutton for punishment Cookie.

Soon I'll be drilling out 0.5 mm plastic rod to make pitot tubes. Oh wait, that's you Steve!

Thanks for the encouragement Les and Dazdot. :bye:

PC, I'll try and give the Legato my best go on your behalf. That means that I need to provide it with a cockpit coaming, as it is curiously missing from the kit. It was not easy to install the new plasticard coaming after having installed the cockpit.

For future Legato builds, I think it would be easiest to:

- connect the fuselage halves

- insert the home made coaming

- glue the instrument panel to the bottom of the coaming

- glue in the rear cockpit bulkead

- attach the canopy floor to the bulkhead

The above sequence is pretty much what happened by accident when the cockpit floor broke off while trying to get it all together.

IMG_1269_zpsd1c8b770.jpg

The wings and horizontal stabilizers are attached now. The Legato is above the Academy in the pic.

IMG_1273_zps797a86a7.jpg

There is plenty of filling and sanding in my future.

Thanks for looking in.

• Like 2

For future Legato builds, I think it would be easiest to:

- connect the fuselage halves

- insert the home made coaming

- glue the instrument panel to the bottom of the coaming

- glue in the rear cockpit bulkead

- attach the canopy floor to the bulkhead

The above sequence is pretty much what happened by accident when the cockpit floor broke off while trying to get it all together.

This is almost exactly (less the need for an ersatz coaming) the process I use when building their Spitfires, too. Someday I'll manage to get a seat in straight...

• Like 1