Airfix 1/72 Whitley Window Glazing.

Richard M

Not sure where the other thread with the discussion on the bomb aimers window glazing has gone, the link I had no longer works?

Having just caught up on my e-mail, I had one from Airfix in reply to a message sent about the thread and possible discrepancy in the window framing. They are interested in viewing and reviewing any data and information anyone has about this, so if interested parties could send the info and pictures, plans, sources etc to the following address Airfix will make sure the development team have a look at it;

[email protected]

Best

Rich.

• Like 3

Richard,

That's sounds very promising and in similar vain to John (the Xtradecals artist / researcher) it's great to see the manufacturers seeking assistance from the modelling community.

After all they make the product... we buy the product. They make better products... and we just keep buying more.

Sounds like a win-win solution.

Cheers and thanks to all who spotted this and Airfix for wanting to get things right... Dave.

That's me. The post had become hijacked from its original subject, a question about the armament of the Fly Models kit, and some people were beginning to get rather unpleasant with each other. I did not appreciate this and asked for the topic to be deleted.

Martin

• Like 5

I have contacted Airfix again and supplied them with the original information. The fact that they are so willing to receive this information indicates to me that the deletion of the original thread was somewhat premature - locking it might well have been sufficient. After all, it did contain useful information regarding the ventral turret, which was the original intent of the thread. C'est la vie, I suppose.

Jeff

Jeff, Airfix also :winkgrin: replied to your post on the Facebook page on the 29th, but you may not have seen it because it got moved down the page by other postings

My Facebook account is tied to my work email address and I've been on leave over Christmas, and I only use Facebook when needs must! I hadn't checked my work account until I saw your post this morning.

Jeff

Thanks for putting those pictures up Chris. It looks like Fly has got this part of their kit well wrong. I may well have to go with a retracted turret after all.

Martin

Does anyone recall the name of the poster that first raised the questions about the shape that Airfix was showing in their cad drawing for the bomber aimers glass, I think it was Nick_W. If so, then I've messaged him to get him to look in on this thread & send the info he had to Airfix, if not then who was it??? :unsure:

This information is too good to loose like this & while I acknowledge the right of Martin or any member to take exception to the way a thread is developing when said thread contains input from a range of other posters, I think to delete the whole thread is nothing but wanton vandalism & has a element of toys out of cot about it. Yes lock the thread. Yes delete offensive posts, but to delete the whole thread NO. I believe the moderating team got this one quite wrong, imho of course.

Steve.

Well, if Martin is ok with it, the thread can be unhidden, we don't delete threads very often. We can then delete the offending posts and keep the useful info.

• Like 2

Well done Nick, sorry, couldn't remember your last name & got a bit confuzzled there,:unsure: goodness knows what Nick W will make of it all. :D

May I suggest that you send these directly to the Airfix, email address that Richard M has posted above.

Steve.

Well, if Martin is ok with it, the thread can be unhidden, we don't delete threads very often. We can then delete the offending posts and keep the useful info.

I am quite OK with that proposal.

Martin

• Like 1

Richard,

That's sounds very promising and in similar vain to John (the Xtradecals artist / researcher) it's great to see the manufacturers seeking assistance from the modelling community.

After all they make the product... we buy the product. They make better products... and we just keep buying more.

Sounds like a win-win solution.

Cheers and thanks to all who spotted this and Airfix for wanting to get things right... Dave.

But are Airfix actually going to correct the moulds: the kit is scheduled for August release so it may or may not be too late. Thank goodness the release isn’t, say, March: quite consistent with their Christmas announcements and clearly too late to correct.

There’s a moral here: ‘obscure’ types lacking extant examples (don’t know about reliable drawings) should be announced, with CAD images, well in advance even if this isn’t at Christmas! If there’s an error, somebody will spot it and in time for correction at the design stage. If nobody spots it, then it’s a case of ‘well I told you’.

Well done Nick, sorry, couldn't remember your last name & got a bit confuzzled there, :unsure: goodness knows what Nick W will make of it all. :D

May I suggest that you send these directly to the Airfix, email address that Richard M has posted above.

Steve.

Thank you, Stevehnz! Thank you, Richard M!

Have just sent them a link to this page, as well as Ju-87 photos

A question , is it not possible that this was a post manufacturing modification? From the one drawing it seems like it to me. Possibly to allow a new type of bomb aiming sight to be fitted? Or is the drawing showing a mod to be made to the original opening (with the bomb aiming window being wider then the pre-modified opening which was narrower than the window to start off with

Edited by Charlie Hugo

A question , is it not possible that this was a post manufacturing modification? From the one drawing it seems like it to me. Possibly to allow a new type of bomb aiming sight to be fitted? Or is the drawing showing a mod to be made to the original opening (with the bomb aiming window being wider then the pre-modified opening which was narrower than the window to start off with

It looks to me like the modification is internal only and widened the space that the bomb aimer had to work in - for what purpose is not clear. In every single Mk.V Whitley photograph I've looked at recently, as well as a number of earlier marks with retrofitted Mk.V glazing, all appear to show the narrowing of the lower panel towards the bottom. I can't find a single one that shows the plain rectangular panel depicted in the Airfix CADs. That's not to say that it wasn't like that on some Whitleys however, and Airfix may well have evidence to that effect. They have been willing to look at the alternative however, and they should be applauded for that.

Jeff

Nick,

That's a lovely set of Ju87 Canopy photographs and really highlights the internal and external canopy frames wonderfully.

Lets hope that Airfix also find these useful and incorporate these details within their new Stuka kit.

Cheers and thanks .. Dave