1/72 SM79 *PAINTED! :D *

So, I just got back into modelling, as I said in my 're-new member' thing I had to take some time out of life due to work/health. But now I'm on my 3rd and hopefully stable secure job, so I'm looking at modelling again.

I've been playing a *lot* of War Thunder with my partner, and it helped re-affirm my love of French and Italian aircraft. (And as anyone knows, there's very few of them in the game as of now).

I was looking through my stash and came accross a really old SM.79. I, do, in fact, remember buying this at Silverstone for a race day I went to with my dad. It was like £3 and the guy kept telling me he didn't know if most the parts are there. And after moving house 4 times due to uni/life I'm amazed I've still got it all. Anyway, I must've only been around 12 or so when I got it, and started it the next day. But for some reason, I stopped. I think it was because my dad went away with the RAF and I didn't want to do it without him incase it 'all went wrong' - basically I needed him there to blame and glue haha.

It is a mess really. The paint was really thinly applied, the 'glass' isn't the clearest anymore...and some of the paint like on the engine covers is insanely thick and has taken me ages to get a smooth look. It isn't going to be my prettiest model, not by far. But hopefully it'll complete something that has taken 10 years!

Here's some pictures of it so far.

16164137982_72bfe431dc.jpg

15545127643_da3a83c69b.jpg

Edited by Commontsar
  • Like 2

Thanks guys. Just a quick update. I repainted the undedsidd today. I've also repainted parts of the inside. I am buying some paint tomorrow so I can paint the pilots properly. Using Acrylic as I much prefer using them over enamel these days.

I've realised the kit isn't that ruined, not as much as I thought. If I can make the rest of what I've got look decent it'll look alright considering. I was just lucky the paint I bought for it matched perfectly haha.

This kit should be done in a few weeks in total. I'll post pics of the crew tomorrow (if all goes to plan). Gonna look on War Thunder and some Internet sites for pictures of the Italian airforce uniform.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Super psyched.

• Like 1

Love this aircraft too. Doing a lot of reno jobs with my older builds right now - it is actually quite fun.

looking forward to seeing this.

Cheers,

Mike

So I've finally made some progress. Bought paints to find a match to the tan here, turns out to be aprox Humbrol 93. Perfect.

I've also glued in place the door, the window gunner, the window block, and the cockpit. Don't judge me om the cockpit though guys. Interiors at the moment are my biggest weak spot...and the pilots in this kit are horrific giant blobs rather than people like the newer Airfix kits!

15999462720_4e132a8769.jpg

15566985823_9820e5f631.jpg

Edited by Commontsar
  • Like 1

See I was going to. But I want to just finish it. There's a lot of emotion in this. Silly, I know, but for that reason I want to preja serve what there is.

I *am* buying the Italeri SM79 soon for another project anyway, and I'll be making the same model, but a lot better :P

• Like 1

Progress again...late night. My partner and I went from playing video games to me getting some of this done, to more video games...so it didnt feel like waiting for it to dry!

So I joined the two fusalage halfs, at the same time a tiny little bit of glass was lost - the only piece that was lost in the kit. I replaced it with a bit I cut off. It isn''t the same but it's a really minor part of the model.

I've also decided I'll be correcting the bottom of the kit to the light gray that it should be. Won't take a lot, so that'll be done once construction is complete. As you'll see from the pictures the whole model is going to need a lot of paint to be done to it...so I might strip a lot of it away to be honest...

Right so here are the pictures. Tomorrow I'm getting light gray paint, and sandpaper to smooth where I've used filler (and the wing secctions are going to need it as they dont sit flush, sadly...warped old kit)!

16002735098_17c662db84.jpg

16188307811_49b7328cc8.jpg

16164363496_236ccc2ba5.jpg

16189402542_63f96a2bc1.jpg

I've decided that my £15 amazon voucher I got for christmas is going towards another SM79 kit. I was going to use it for something else, but I bought that whilst I was out today...and I want another one of these to do properly with the airbrush!

Double post, but alas I must!

So it feels like I'm going backwards. Turns out the paint I've got is a fraction off, and seeing as I'm using it on a Fiat G.50 I'm buying and the MC200 I've got, I want them all to have the matching tone - so I've stripped the poor bugger. Now, it's sad, but at least now I'll be able to airbrush it, do nice light layers, and keep the details a lot better than before...and if it goes wrong, strip it again :P

As seen above, it all goes together well, now I've just got to clean it off before work tomorrow and I'll attach the wings and tail tomorrow. That way when I get to spraying it'll be one uniform piece.

Yes, I'm nervous. First proper aircraft to spray...eek!

Oh, and I sanded down all that filler. Now it's nice and smooth and feels and looks a lot nicer than the photos imply!

Anyway, that's it for now. Stay tuned!

16199244002_0d3cd2fd8d.jpg

Here's all the parts bagged up...like some horrible Airfix morgue!

16174215056_26a11fba71.jpg[

Edited by Commontsar

• 2 weeks later...

Triple post. Because I'm either

a) Totally inept and can't figure out if I can edit.

or

B) Really late in even posting anything.

So basically this model is at a bit of a stand still at the moment. I'm still putting it together, but I didn't want to do this too quickly. Now that it's all stripped (I'll put a picture in if I can find one) I'm dubious to start painting. I know I can strip it again (though this time I'm using acrylic instead of enamel, I'm done with that I think) but I don't want to. I want to get it done well.

So I've started a MC200. I got it for like £4 at my local model shop, and so I've decided that i want to practice on that before i go for it on my precious SM79. Yeah, I am buying another SM79 to build properly, without any broken or missing parts, and with hopefully better quality. But I want to practice with my airbrush.

Then my airbrush broke.

So now I'm waiting for payday until I can buy my new H&S airbrush. I was using the ones that came free with my compressor, and they just weren't up to par build quality wise. So I'll be getting that, along with the right things to keep it in check. Below you can see a few pictures of the MC202. The bottom of it is painted. Sadly when the airbrush broke it got stuck on, and I had *really* nice panel details showing through the paint that got lost (first time i'd ever done it too :( ) but hey, good practice?

I'll keep you all updated...and hopefully in a few weeks i'll have 2 aircraft nearing completion! The MC200, then the SM79 probably.

EDIT! PICTURE TIME!

16086779140_ea11738938.jpg

16086779060_b15908a9fc.jpg

16248220606_1761b18cf3.jpg

16272357021_a15bb36feb.jpg

Edited by Commontsar

• 1 month later...

So this project is back on! Got the building finished today and just gotta start the painting with my lovely new paints tomorrow. Can't wait to get it done. Got another 2 of these to do too haha. This picture doesn't have the torpedoes that are now present on the model.

16606765815_dde277368c_b.jpg

Edited by Commontsar
  • Like 2

Great to see you bringing this kit back to life

Strange thing about the MC200, the engine always looks like it doesn't fit the fuselage properly, I spent ages messing about with the fit when I built one, it's an optical illusion I guess.

Are you going to add other types to your Italian airforce ?

Oh and don't forget the Italian Group Build on this site later on this year !

Cheers Pat

Great to see you bringing this kit back to life

Strange thing about the MC200, the engine always looks like it doesn't fit the fuselage properly, I spent ages messing about with the fit when I built one, it's an optical illusion I guess.

Are you going to add other types to your Italian airforce ?

Oh and don't forget the Italian Group Build on this site later on this year !

Cheers Pat

Well I actually finished the MC200 and a D520 (see them here: ) but I do have another SM79, a G50, 2xCr42s, an MC202, MC205, Fiat G55, Caproni c200 (i think that's what it is), amongst some more to do. I love Italian aircraft...also, I didn't know of the group build so will definately look into that. Anyway, only got up to take my partner to work...will post more later today when I'm up and have done some painting!

First cote of paint applied today. Using Life Colors....they're really nice. Seem to go far. Doing lots and lots of thin layers. The picture doesn't really show the 'pre shading' I did on the the fabric lines. But oh well, at least the colour is lovely this time. The paint on the radial covers needs touching up, as they're not as straight as they should be. But I'm so glad it's getting done.

15988981914_a0c82946bc_b.jpg

Edited by Commontsar

Update. I know no-one's replied, but needs a different post...It's painted...nearly! I've got most of it done. Just need to tidy the props up and it'll be done! Just gotta do the decals, varnish it...and maybe weather it if I'm brave enough.

Hope you like it! I'm kind of proud of it .It's my first ever bomber!

16450721850_9fb66fae83_b.jpg

And Torpedoes to be added soon!

16450714560_b122c20787_b.jpg

• Like 5

Well all your hard work seems to be paying dividends. This plane will look just great when you are finished with it! Congratulation on your tenacity.

If you buy another one, maybe it would be better to get the Italeri model, far more recent.

There is one thing that bugs me though! It is to see your D 520 with a four bladed propeller!!! Heresy! Or so I feel as a Frenchman!

OK, I've had my rant. Now you can forget about it!

Well done

JR

Haha, yeah, my 3 bladed prop that came with it literally disintegrated. So when I get a spare 3 blade I'll swap it over, but for now it's stuck with all I had!

But thank you. I've actually got 2 more Airfix kits sm79s but I am going to get an Italeri one.

Edited by Commontsar

Looks very nice, you'll find that the Italeri kit is way better than the Airfix one, I discovered one in my stash that I had started when it was first released. It was a bit trashed and the paint finish (brushed) was a bit pants so I have started to strip it back again (must be something to do with SM79's!). The build from what I remember is a bit tricky but from what I see of the Airfix version is well worth it.

100_3143_zps088e0953.jpg

Thats as far as I got but I think I must have used peanut butter to glue the thing together as bits just keep dropping off lol!

Cheers now

Bob

I'll be geting one for sure! Tbh the Airfix one has a pretty poor fit if this one is anything to go by...I've used more filler than ever before haha. That being said I don't think it's too noticable!

I'll be getting one though, though I'm looking at the CANT aircraft first!