Henrik's Airfix 1/72 Messerschmitt BF110C-2/C-4

449_01_01_15_3_05_46_0.jpg

About time I join up in here if I'm going to finish this one in time :winkgrin:

I'm still considering which markings its going to wear. Only one thing is certain its going to be wearing the darker early splinter camo down the sides. Have a old mircoscale 72-0262 with a dark camouflaged one or I'm going with kit suplied decals.

Edited by hgbn
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for the hospitality Max. The BF110 has always appealed to me by the slender look and was part of my very kit ever ( the ancient Airfix dogfight double from the 70's with the Spitfire IX) So a little nostalgia is always a part of the entertainment, when building a BF110 whatever the brand or version.

Started to mask the canopy, always been a hurdle in my builds and had often unnecessary stalled a completion more than once. Better be starting taking the bull by the horns to stay on top of things. Post some pictures later when I'm finished being cross eyed.

449_01_01_15_9_51_29_1.jpg

Finished masking the canopy

449_01_01_15_9_51_29_0.jpg

Decided to see if I could drill out the gun barrels in the nose while I was wearing my forehead magnifier. Used a 0,3 mm drill, thinks it looks okay

• Like 2

449_02_01_15_5_22_50_0.jpg

Ooooh this kit goes together like a dream. some carefull sanding at the joints before glueing and it has virtually no visual seams.

Edited by hgbn
  • Like 1

Thanks Mish.

Its really a nice little kit. The interior is somewhat simple compared to other kits in this scale. But I think it have no significance in the end. the view inside is probably very limited through the closed canopy.

Whoa, steady on there Henrik, you'll be doing a "Stew Dapple" soon and finishing a build within days! Looks very good though.....but is the shark's mouth lurking? It's a terrible fit if you're going for that scheme!

Max

Haven't decided yet on the decals. I like the wasp unit to and I could paint it in the summer camouflage underneath the white winter stuff smeared on. Thanks for the heads up on the fit of the shark mouth Max.

Decided to go totally old school on this one. Meaning building it OOB and brush paint it. Here in our new home the master bedroom is located at the other side of the wall at my humble little corner at the end of hallway leading to the bedroom. My wife is going to have night shift this evening and all night. My old compressor is very noisy to say the least. So future airbrush sessions will be far between. So I better re find my brush painting skills once again :winkgrin: Unless I want to have a grumpy wife.

Topside colours is RLM70+RLM71 or is the lighter colour RLM02?

Edited by hgbn

Yep, RLM 70 and 71, undersurface is RLM65, this from John Vasco's excellent illustrated study of the Bf110 C,D and E. I really couldn't even think about brush painting these days, a lost art indeed! Good luck Henrik.

Max

Thanks Max my chance to test the Revell paint set I bought sometime ago now I'm brush painting. First layer of RLM 65 is drying as we speak. Normally I use Xtra-colour so I'm a bit curious to see how the Revell looks like when dry.

Edited by hgbn

Dark greens camouflaged Bf 110 are not found at every corner, so it will be special to look at yours.

So far, so very good!

JR

Thanks!

Some advantage by my deteriorating eye sight is that I invested in a forehead magnifier. Even though I wear glasses it was beginning to be hard to focus on the small parts in the kits. Now I can see everything again better than ever before. A fresh blade in my NT cutter http://www.syamaddun.com.my/site/data/images/item/CUTTERNTD400P.jpgOne like these, prefer then over Exacto since the spare blades is so much cheaper and shorter so you can hold the cutter like a pencil. The closer on the cut you can get your fingers means more control. Very often I split the 6mm tape into 3mm and align the uncut straight edge of the tape along the framing so it only needs to be cut in length at both ends. Find this method much easier to control the cut of the tape since you can actually see where the frame is at all times. Instead of covering one window with one large piece of tape and trying to find all 4 edges with a tooth pick..

Edited by hgbn
  • Like 1