Miscellaneous Newark Air Museum News 2015

NAM Updater

I thought I’d create a new Miscellaneous Newark Air Museum thread to use for short updates and news snippets from eastern Nottinghamshire.

As with the previous thread as the year progresses details of museum activities will be updated in here!

This could include such things as the Indoor Aeroboot / Aerojumble Table Top Sale – 7 March 2015; Tribute to our Training Aircraft – 16 & 17 May 2015; Cockpit-Fest 2015 & Aeroboot / Aerojumble – 13 & 14 June 2015 and Victory Days 2015 – 25 & 26 July 2015 etc.

Many thanks to those people who have visited the museum in 2014 and we hope to see you again this year and a Happy New Year to you all.

Could a Moderator / Admin please lock the previous Miscellaneous Newark Air Museum News thread?

Whilst the museum is closed today (1 January) we’re back open at 10am tomorrow, Friday 2 January 2015.

Finally if anyone is visiting the Carole Nash Classic Winter Bike Show this weekend on the Showground, why not pay the museum a visit as well?

Talking of miscellaneous NAM stuff, I dropped in on 31st December, bought my usual supply of paint, Flypast magazine and assorted stuff. I realised it was the start of the year so I took out a yearly membership as it's always a Jan 1st start date (bizarre but easier to administer I guess). Just thinking that others might be prompted to do the same given that we're still in the first week-ish of Jan.

I do hope the new café will have toasties with the bit of token salad, as well as those little Bakewell tarts in the cellophane wrapper. Always like the café as well as the supply of old aircraft magazines from 20 odd years ago to be read whilst munching.

The Avro Ashton fuselage was being worked on when I was there. What are the plans for it?

Edited by HP42

Glad that you’ve decided to become a member, don’t forget you’re now entitled to discounts in the shop!

Our financial year has always been a calendar one and the membership has been synchronised into that; we’ve been looking into changing to a rolling-calendar format but we’re still waiting for feedback from the accountants.

In one of the modelling sections I posted the following about the Ashton: “In the Restoration & Behind The Scenes album on the NAM website there are a few images of the fuselage of Ashton WB491 at Newark – this includes the early stages of work on s new cockpit instrument panel.”

Basically we’re rebuilding the gutted fuselage, which includes adding the cockpit floor (also photographs in the link above) and hope to return the fuselage back to something like its service fit.

Basically we’re rebuilding the gutted fuselage, which includes adding the cockpit floor (also photographs in the link above) and hope to return the fuselage back to something like its service fit.

It would be fabulous to see it restored to display condition. I guess being just a big 'sausage' without wings and other sticky-out bits, it might be easier to find a corner of a hangar to pop it into rather than have it languish outside. It would be nice to have it as a walk-in exhibit rather like the Boeing 707 cockpit in East Fortune.

Looking at the work that’s going into the Ashton fuselage I believe that it will be a quality restoration and one that NAM will be proud of.

Sadly I don’t think that we have a “corner of a hangar” that is big enough to accommodate it – when it was in its last location over on the Southfield Site it looked quite small, but now it’s over near the workshop being worked on its true size is really apparent.

We need another hangar, but we need to complete this project first!

Despite some snow falling over night in some parts of Nottinghamshire we are pleased to advise that the museum has not encountered any such problems and will be open as normal today.

Here on the website there’s also an update about the Autojumble, which takes place this coming weekend on Sunday 25th January 2015. The museum is open as normal but there may be more traffic than usual to negotiate your way through to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier today a new museum website went live, which means that many of the old weblinks that have been posted on here over the years will no longer be accessible – sorry about that! To access the new site you may also need to refresh your web-browser.

This new site is long overdue and the museum now has a lot more control over all of the site content; much of which will gradually be updated during the coming weeks /months. Some of this will be linked to some changes in our museum membership offer so watch out as those changes start to take place.

We hope that people will find the new format easier to use on the various different devices so common these days and we apologise in advance for any initial glitches that you encounter. We have a snagging list that will note any issues that arise and we’ll work through these as quickly as possible.

As part of the upgrade we have activated a Twitter account that will be used to provide regular feedback; plus there’s moderated museum Facebook group that people can join.

The one aspect that we’re not totally sure about is the transfer of the museum email accounts so again; we apologise in advance if anything does by chance get lost!

Just want to say the new site is great. The old one was *very* dated and tired looking.- fantastic news :D

My dad used to take me to Newark a lot. When I was pretty ill when I was younger, my dad used to take me to help me relax/get myself together. I can't wait to take him this year, providing we can match weekends off work.

Thank you for your kind words. The update is something that I've been trying to sort out for a while now, I'm just glad that the transfer process went off OK today, still waiting for final checks on the emails etc.

We look forward to welcoming you both sometime this year, perhaps for one of the special events!

Edited by NAM Updater

Something for the modellers – an update has been added about the availability of Italeri aircraft kits in the NAM Shop – details in here!

Plus a fresh update about the March Indoor Aeroboot / Aerojumble has been added in here!

Heads Up about the Antique & Collectors Fair at Winthorpe this week (sellers arrive tomorrow, sale Thursday & Friday) so the local roads may be busy.

A new ‘Acquisition Timeline’ page has been added to the NAM website this morning, which will be used to provide details about how and when the aircraft and significant objects were added to the museum collection.

The first item has been added today and this is the Meteor FR.9 test-bed airframe that joined the collection in 1970.

Due to the nature of these assorted acquisitions some information for a particular item may only be listed on the page for 24 hours; so you may need to check regularly for updates.

Twitter users can also follow some aspects of this ‘Acquisition Timeline’ by searching for tweets at #NAMarrivals

For some significant arrivals this may take the form of an extended feed; like with the Vulcan acquisition story last weekend and the ongoing Viggen story!

Edited by NAM Updater