My Spectabulous 2014 Model Production Extravaganza!

Learstang

Okay the bad news first; despite the rather lurid title, I only completed two models this year, an Il-2 Shturmovik and an La-5, both in the gentleman's scale of 1/72nd. Now the good news - this doubles my output from last year! The Il-2 arrow (swept-winged variant) was from the Toko kit, with wooden wings represented by labouriously sanding down the wings to rid it of the engraved panel lines. The La-5 was built strictly out of the box, and the kit is a repop of the old, but quite nice Cooperativa kit. I'm not too happy with the exhaust stains on the La-5, but I was in a hurry to get if "officially" finished for 2014. The lack of weathering is deliberate - looking at photographs, the La-5 was usually kept in pretty good nick. I may well revisit the exhausts and the near lack of exhaust stains on my Il-2. The Il-2's engine, the Mikulin AM-38 was not a particularly oily or greasy engine, but it did put out quite a bit of exhaust. At any rate here they are, in all their mediocre glory! As usual I apologise for the poor quality of the photography, assembly, decaling, weathering, etc.

Best Regards,

Jason

CIMG0661_zps8b4a4cd9.jpg

CIMG0662_zps7d89ac35.jpg

CIMG0663_zpse36b379d.jpg

CIMG0664_zps08cadd50.jpg

CIMG0665_zps8d9c775d.jpg

CIMG0666_zpsb2e4b48d.jpg

CIMG0667_zps6aeeb440.jpg

CIMG0668_zpsb0e560dc.jpg

You may wonder why I have so many photographs for such so-so models, but I happen to go by what the Vozhd ("Boss" - Stalin) is reputed to have said - "Quantity has a quality all its own.".

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 9

Jason,

Well done mate. I'm sure your not alone in the world of 'lack of finished models'.. but hey, two complete birds are better than none.

I'm applying the finishing touches to my 1/72 Hawker Tempest and believe me the Sydney Harbour Bridge was built and repainted in quicker time.

Let's shake on 2015 being a better modelling year for both of us and remember those two Shacks are not that far away - time to clear the modelling bench.

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 1

The Il-2 was a big hunk of steel, aluminium, wood, and fabric, Prokopios (I'm using the Greek spelling, 1), to be pedantic, and 2), to be annoying). It was 38 feet long, and had a wingspan of 48 feet. For a single-engined, piston-engined aeroplane, it was quite large. I photographed it next to the La-5 to emphasise the size of it. In particular you can see how huge the wings are. Side by side with a Pe-2, it's not that much smaller than that twin-engined aircraft.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Too right about the Shacks, Dave! Luckily (or unluckily, I want it now), we have until next December to clear the way for the Airfix Shack. If I keep doubling my production every year, and if my maths is correct, then in about ten years I'll be doing about 1,000 kits a year. At that rate I'll have my stash finished in about 20 years, but only if I don't buy any more kits (not going to happen!).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

I'm no mathematician, but my back of the envelope calculations indicate to me that that's a helluva stash.

Well 1,000 kits is a bit of an exaggeration, Procopius. As it stands now, it's probably only around 200 or so unbuilt kits (with another three or four wending their merry way to my happy home). I don't even want to think about the partially-built kits.

Regards

Jason

Nice ones Jason, and as for only two builds it seems that two builds is becoming my norm as well. So I decided to change it for 2015 by starting three kits at once something I never do, however as I almost always finish kits that I have started I could be guaranteed 3 next year.

All the best

Den

• Like 1

Thank you very much, gentlemen! Mike, I would like to complete at least four this year. I've already resolved to finish my Lancaster GR.3, so that just leaves three more to finish! Hmmm, maybe my Blackburn Blackburn should move to the front of the list. What a splendiferous (actual real word) beauty! People would come from yards around just to see that model.

Best Regards,

Jason

Thank you Neil!. And I am committed to finishing this year at least one of my Lancaster-family models, be it a Lincoln, a Lancaster, or even my long-neglected Manchester. However, like most modellers I have the attention span of a gnat, so I've gotten myself off onto a rather strange tangent, the Gran Chaco War. But I shall get back to my Lancs, oh yes!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1