1/72 Halifax B.Mk.III from Revell in 2015

RZP

Looks like the Revell listings are out for 2015 and one of the releases will be a Halifax III in August 2015, a variant of their Mk.II kit.

• Like 3

Well we know it will use the fuselage from the previously issued Merlin-powered version. Let's hope they tooled up a new and accurate set of wings to go along with the new Hercules engines.

• Like 2

I hope it comes with the soon to be re-released Airfix kit decals.

I kinda fancy a 462 Sqd operated Halibag.

Fingers crossed that it's devoid of any glaring issues, as from what I read here and elsewhere the fuse section is rather good.

We just need a new wing and some accurate engines etc. etc....

Cheers .. Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader
  • Like 1

I'd expect more than one decal option. I'm doubtful about getting a new wing on the grounds of cost, but as neither of the other alternatives are exactly faultless I'll cope if the old one arrives, providing they do a good job on the engines/cowlings/props.

• Like 1

It says 'new variant' in the German announcement, does not sound like a big retooling effort.

I take it the wing and the backs of the engine nacelles below the wings will stay the same.

Hope it's worth buying, didn't bother with the original release due to numerous inaccuracies . An opportunity for revel to improve their reputation.

Know the original had very poor engines , was the rest of the wing straightforward to fix?

The aileron was not of Frise form, being the same diameter top and bottom instead of being wider at the underside. The Matchbox kit had the opposite problem of being wide top and bottom - cue for a cross-kitting exercise.

The fairings over the top of the wing were wrong for both variants.

The nacelles aft of the engine were too wide. It has been claimed that the Hercules-engine aircraft had wider nacelles: I've taken this on but am not yet convinced. If so that's one problem gone away or at least reduced.

The main wheels were too small - IIRC. The tail wheel was retractable, as on the Mk.III but not the earlier aircraft so that's another thing less to worry about.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to this, however not correcting the faults (that we will find) will only leave the door ajar for Airfix to come in over the top. How many of us are going to pre-order this without reading the reviews first? ....... mmmm... I thought so.

This is Revell's big opportunity to get things right. If its a winner (and I really hope it is) they just might have the Halibag market sown up for years to come. We know they can do it. It's been proven in the past, so let's hope they can do it again.

Cheers.. Dave.

Hi

I will be pre ordering the revell halifax, wont be getting any shackletons whoever makes them.

When i look at my stash, the majority is revell, they are usually good value for money.

I am lucky if anyone who see any kit I build, can identify what type it is ....

let alone, identify any errors ....

Cheers

Jerry

• Like 2

I was thinking of correcting the Ailerons by cutting the slot out wider under the wing and adding plasticrd to the aileron to make the difference up. Anyone tried this, seems the easiest way forwards than cross kitting wings?

Failing that, fill the whole dame area in with car filler and rescribe them correctly!

That should work fine. It's a lot cheaper than cross-kitting, but it's easier to cut out a space to fit the Matchbox aileron, and glue the two aileron halves together. Of course, if you happen to have an abandoned Matchbox kit, that's also cheaper.

I was thinking again the other day about cross kitting the old Matchbox kit and Revell kit mainly to solve the horrible engine nacelle issue - does anyone have an idea if would be possible to use the Revell upper wing and Matchbox lower wing and nacelles or is that not worth the effort?

Edited by elger

The Matchbox nacelles are a little thin, not enough to be a problem in itself, but the work needed to sharpen and rework the blunt inlets and propellers is considerable. The Matchbox undercarriage legs are anorexic but the wheels are better than Revell. I don't think cross-kitting undercarriage legs would be easy. Neither Matchbox nor Revell have good overwing fairings.

The best route out of the nacelle/engine/propeller problem is the Aeroclub replacements. If you think that's too much effort then the aftermarket parts that simply replace the Revell front bits (senior moment forgetting the name, sorry) will make it look a lot better.

EDIT: One point not often mentioned is that there are no available nacelle that is correct for the Mk.I, which had deeper inlets. The earlier Matchbox options have the shape of the Mk.II ser 1/ser 1(Spec) but without the central bulge for flow into the oil cooler. Aeroclub did do suitable replacements of this type but not the Mk.I type. This is still true for the full Aeroclub replacement nacelle parts.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

This will be interesting.

I tend to be extremely slow (generally) at building and even more so when I am doing a larger kit like a heavy bomber. (I'm still working on the Revell Lancaster and I started that sometime in 2013... and it's only an OOB build!! :D :D :D)

I have the Revell Halifax (with Frieightdog props/intakes and Z nose) in the waiting. I don't know if I have the propensity for another Halifax but this would make it interesting to, perhaps, create one similar to the MK VII that is at Trenton, Ontario, Canada in the RCAF museum.

That said, I also noted that Revell are producing a Shackleton as well... this should make for an interesting year ahead.. duelling Shackletons; albeit of different marks. :D

Cheers,

Dave

• 4 weeks later...