Italeri Wessex HAS1/3 kit bash

Andrew Perren

Go out and get your self the 4+ book on the Wessex. That should assist with the big stuff.

If you get stuck message me here or on AMI and I''ll help you out, worked on the big oily sods for 2 years.

Cheers

Good luck Andrew, it's not impossible, Steve and I have been chatting re the possibilities the last couple of weeks. I think the biggest problem will be the grill across the nose, you'll need some PE diamond mess. That provided in the HU5 kit (which you've built already) was a square pattern and won't conform to compound curces.

An idea might be to cut the support frame platework from thin brass sheet and attach the mesh from behind. You might have noticed with the 1 and 3 kits Italeri have (kindly) opened up the vent slots on the oil coller cover (lobsterback).

Colin

Thanks guys. I already have the 4+ book which has given me hope that it is possible. My plan is to use the HAS1 kit for most things but the horse collar fairing will have to come from the HAS3..

I'm going to assume that they were still carrying sonar after upgrading to Mk 31B. I will have to get some diamond mesh and work out how I will do the fire extinguisher bottles behind it.

The bottles in the nose are for the aircraft's internal starter and are filled with compressed air.

Theres an ignitor assembly and an exhaust for the starter on the starboard side of the nose, the exhaust

comes out the door.

We used AVCAT to fuel the starter, the ex RN guys we had on 816 squadron told many horror stories about

the AVPIN system the Poms used.

Sonar didnt last long in the 31B's, only til 74 when the Seakings took over the ASW work and the Wessi became

trucks.

The "horse collar" is called a "dog box" in the RAN.

Andrew, I've got a pic of the nose which I took whilst painting one in the Dope Shop at Lee-on-Solent. There is a fibreglass box between the two bottles, I can copy and post but not today. I think Steves offer should be seriously considered, I managed to model it in 72nd so 48th should be a doddle.

The sonar hole on the underside wouldprobably been left uncovered.

Colin

The box between the bottles is a cover for all the gubbins that make it work

Pressure gauge, fill point and valve work.

The sonar hole was covered top and bottom and was a very handy place to hide excess duty free

and other acts of high sea piracy!

Got my Mk1 from T7 Models this morning, thanks Martin.

I am now praying for extra decal to do HMS Ark Royal flight around 1978. Fingers crossed they get someone who's research is spot on markings wise.

I bought a set of decals from Southern Sky for the RAN Wessex.

One of the best set of decals I have seen for a while. all variants and squadrons are represented

from the early 725 Squadron right up to 816, finally with the correct Tigers head.

• Like 1

Got my Mk1 from T7 Models this morning, thanks Martin.

I am now praying for extra decal to do HMS Ark Royal flight around 1978. Fingers crossed they get someone who's research is spot on markings wise.

:hobbyhorse: I also got mine from T7 & am hoping Ark Royals SAR Flt 047 XP151 is on a decal sheet soon !!!!!

What sort of condition is she in Steve?

Pretty good actually Andrew, she has had a few bits n bobs knocked off (like seat belts and a few black boxes)

but the rest is in very good nick. I think she was the best of the fleet that's why Nowra kept her.

I back there tomorrow fiddling with one of my old Sea Venoms so I'll get some pics

836 was also one of the few Wessex 31B to carry a name.

It was called "Ethnic Express" and had the shark panel painted with the Acorn Flight marking from its time on HMAS Stalwart.

Melbourne SAR flight aircraft were "Miss Wobbles" and "Miss Dribbles" for obvious reasons. This was in 1980 when I joined HC723.

The SAR flight aircraft were 815, 819, 830, 834 but I cant remember which ones were named what. They had the Pedro markings on the shark panel and I think it was 819 and 834 that had the float canisters painted Golden Yellow with Dayglo warnings.

John

Did you ever get caught by the wind with an inflated flotation bag? Many fun jobs on the Wessex. Spent many hours squeezed in the engine bay clamping the exhausts back on. I was glad to be posted to B fight and working on Hueys. Nice and easy to work on but I had good times on the Wessex.

I got stuck doing flotation bag services in a tent at RAAF Sale (didnt we all love Sale trips) so yes I have had to give chase

to one or two.

Refitting the exhausts in a Wessex is a crime against humanity!

Colin & Andrew

Unfortunately I'll have to put the walkround photo's back a week.

Between battling with a Meteor belly panel (Borrowing it to make a pattern for ours) and doing the

Sea Venom survey I ran out of time and camera battery.

I'm back down next friday so I'll sort it then.

No problem Steve, I've found a couple of pics on the net and one Len aka 'Grizzly' alerted me to. If you can shoot the pipework lower half dead centre would be great. Also have a look if there is a restrictor plate at the bottom edge of the curved cowling (inside) or is it open? I found acrylic balls from a party favour bracelet that were the correct (?) size.

Colin

No problem Steve, I've found a couple of pics on the net and one Len aka 'Grizzly' alerted me to. If you can shoot the pipework lower half dead centre would be great. Also have a look if there is a restrictor plate at the bottom edge of the curved cowling (inside) or is it open? I found acrylic balls from a party favour bracelet that were the correct (?) size.

Colin

Colin my Son use to have a BB gun & that used round plastic balls of about the right size !! regards Len

I've been faffing around with the HAS 3 kit today and have come to the conclusion that both the HAS1 & 3 kits

are going to require some serious rework to convert to any variant of the 31.

I'm going to use the HAS 1 to make a 31A, that will be the easier of the two, only needing changes around the nose

and knocking up something that looks like a sonar. It will be "NAVY 827" the last 31A that we had at the museum til some

git gave it away.

The HAS 3 will be the 31B, the underside will need the most work but as the B models from the HU816 Squadron days

didnt have any sonar the amount of work will be the same for either kit, plus the 3 has the dog box and the correct late

model exhausts