Mumbles's meandering for 2014

mumbles

My output for 2014. Not entirely dissatisfied :)

First a mid-80's RNZAF TA-4G. Fujimi 1/72 with a mix of various decals.

IMG_8638_zps74c088d6.jpg

Then a mini RNZAF Territorial Air Force Mustang GB, 1/72 Airfix with Ventura decals:

IMG_6793s_zps77362b9c.jpg

Followed a bit later by a fifth. Airfix 1/72 again with Verlinden engine and Ventura decals:

IMG_7453s_zpsa7ebe732.jpg

Then the new 1/72 Airfix Hurricane 1, done bar for the aerial wire and pretty much straight from the box:

Hurricane_zps724412e4.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by mumbles
  • Like 8

Great little collection, especially the Mustangs - I've often thought of doing something similar with other a/c but I'm with Will on this one, I'm not sure I could, so kudos to you!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nice line up. That TA-4G is an interesting scheme. Transition from Aus to RNZAF is it? Really distinctive & I like the rest plenty too.

Steve.

Thanks Steve.

Yes, the T-Bird is in one of the hybrid RAN/RNZAF schemes. The inspiration for the build was the famous 2Sqn 4-ship photo sortie flown in 1985-86 that had all four of the basic colour schemes then in service airborne at once:

rnzaf_4_colour_t_birds.jpg

The one I did is second from the top (minus the 2Sqn fin markings which I couldn't source), and in that image has elements of no less than four different colour schemes on one aircraft. The basic scheme is the original RAN gull grey over white, the drop tanks are in the later RAN "tactical" wraparound greys (as modelled by the second aircraft from the bottom, which is wearing RNZAF SEA drop tanks), the markings are RNZAF hi-vis, and the ailerons RNZAF lo-vis green and grey which was being introduced at the time. Apparently the RAN white ailerons were difficult for the RNZAF pilots to see and formate on, so they were replaced with the camouflaged ones. The aircraft went on to be repainted at the end of 1986 as the gold skyhawk for the RNZAF 50th in 1987.

Edited by mumbles
  • Like 1