A Brace of Dominies

Ascoteer

I cut my hypodermic tubing by holding it in a pair of needle-nose pliers, using a triangular needle file to make a weak point, and then bending it away from said weak point. It generally snaps off cleanly after a bend or two, and any burrs are easy to file down using the aforesaid file :)

• Like 1

Today I have mostly been working on Dominie noses.

The upper static vent panels were made from squares of painted decal film as was the mounting panel for the ice warning vane just aft of the port upper static vent panel.

The natural metal panels forward of the windscreen (which house the windscreen deicing spray nozzles) were similarly made from painted decal film with the wipers themselves from uber thin slices of microstrip:

DSCF1091_zpshr2io1xb.jpg

DSCF1094_zpsmgpdcxxq.jpg

Edited by Ascoteer
  • Like 4

Nice work on the aerials and the windscreen wipers. Fiddly, but worth the effort. Liked the meteology as well. Of course I know pilots have to be up to speed on the weather and know their cirrus stratos from their alto cumulus, but didn't know to what extent - shouldn't be surprised though given it's importance. Also amazed at the extent of the de-icing technology. Again given its significance I shouldn't be surprised. Thoroughly enjoyable and informative.

Over and above the liquid wing/tail de-ice system, the Dom also had gold film heating elements in the windscreens (also good for stopping the plexiglass becoming brittle = some birdstrike protection at low level).

Additionally we used compressor bleed air for engine anti-icing, specifically the intake ring and the nose cowl (bullet).

We also had a liquid fuel de-ice system (for cases where fuel lacking FSII [Fuel System Icing Inhibitor) was up-lifted - eg Jet A1 from Civie airfields. This system used AL14 a Methanol based fluid to de-ice the fuel filters just downstream of the LP cocks. The same fluid could be used to de-ice the windscreens if the heating elements failed via a (rather 'Heath Robinson') manual pump on the port console (a bit like my old Hillman Imp!)

• Like 2

You know, I might actually just have these ready for Telford...

The aerial fits are now complete as are the Nav lights and Anti Coll beacons.

All that's left to do is to affix the Pitots and Temperature bulbs, semi-gloss coat, add the cabin windows and the landing light covers.

I've been playing around, on a spare wing, with Garth's (Dr GN) parcel tape idea. I must say I'm rather impressed so rather than crash mould, that's the way I'm going to go:

DSCF1098_zpsgspkwflc.jpg

• Like 5

Damn skippy it's straight!

I initially thought about deflecting the nose gear but desided against it because I never parked the jet with a cocked nosewheels. :P

Humblest apologies Ma'am, snotty nosed studes should know better....!!

That black 'un is rather nice too!

Aye. I'll do a semi-gloss coat the morrow.

When thats gone nice and hard I'll do the windows and the landing lamp covers.

Then they'll be (almost) done.

Given that the pre DAU is displayed airbrakes OUT and flaps at LIFT DUMP, which would only occurr on the landing rolloout or when the jet was parked in high winds, I'm thinking about adding the engine bungs and all the remove before flight tags.

Then I need to source a surface to display them upon - I've not found anything out there yet that anywhere closely resembles the concrete of a modern RAF ASP.

• Like 2

Please Miss - take them to Telford, I'm sure a deal can be struck so that they can be viewed by their/your fans!

Regards

Strickers

There'd certainly be space for 'em on IPMS West Glamorgan's table - even if I have to remove two of my rubbish efforts to make it!!

Strangely enough (and I shall eventually do a UAS Bulldog) I can still remember the Bulldog Pre-Landing Checks:

RPM - Max

Mixture - Fully Rich

Induction Air - Cold

Fuel Booster Pump - On and audible

Fuel - BOTH tanks selected, contents sufficient

Flaps - INTER

Harness - Tight

Canopy - Latched

Parking Brake - Off

I still remembeer the pre-takeoff cheks for the Slingsby Cadet from the flying week at RAF Swanton Morely back in 1970 when I took part in the IACE.

Controls

Instruments

Straps

Trim

Release

Spoilers

Not bad after 45 years. Oh, and I still got my ATC glider pilot wings earned that week, as a nice memory.

• Like 2

Delightful Debs. I'd love to see them at Telford.

I remember only a mishmash of checks from 30 + years ago.

Stick top (safe)

Late Arm (safe)

Camera (off)

Pylon (selected)

Fusing (nose/tail)

Bos Light (illuminated)

Is my recollection of the downwind leg checks in the bombing pattern in the Jag. And on the run in to the tgt:

Sticktop (live)

Late Arm (on)

Camera (on)

With the same again - only to safe, off and off respectively immediately after dropping.

What useless stuff to clutter up the brain with.

I also (think I) remember from the JP the HATFIRO and FOEL nav checks, the HASSELL pre aerobatics checks and the FIRAD pre descent checks.

Oh my, JP checks. Let's see now...

HATFIRO - used on Navexs, post turning point:

Heading

Altitude

Time

Fuel

Instruments

Radios

Oxygen

IIRC the pre- turning point checks were HAT

Heading

Altitude

Time

FOEL - routine check (to be done whenever you weren't doing anything ese!). Actually, IIRC the check was FOEEL:

Fuel

Oxygen

Engine

Electrics

HASELL (only one S) - pre- aeros checks:

Height - Sufficient (varied dependent upon whether you were aerobating, stalling, or spinning - and I can't for the life of me remember the various requirements).

Airframe - Clean. Flaps and gear UP. Airbrakes checked

Security - Harness tight and locked. No loose articles

Engine - JPT, Oil pressure, Fuel state, Fuel tank air pressure.

Location - Clear of A, B, and C - Active airfields, Built-up areas, Controlled airspace

LOOKOUT - The QFI's answer to the Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything!

FIRAD - pre- descent checks:

Fuel - Contents and balance. Sufficient to land with correct otg requirement (IIRC 500lbs dual, 600lbs solo were the base minima)

Instruments - functioning. Erect and synchronised

Radio - Unmuted. Channel selected

Altimeters - Set as required, cross-checked

Demist - As required

Most of these we used on the Jetstream (or at least the Studes were taught to use them). On the Dom we didn't have to memorise anything (well we did) because everything was 'Challenge and Response' so the Nav read them from the cards.

The other one I remember, much beloved of Multi-Engined Standards Sqn, was TIMTS (used whenever setting up the kit for a procedural approach/hold/airways leg/whatever):

Tune

Ident

Markers

Track Selector

Selections

Edited by Ascoteer

FOEL - routine check (to be done whenever you weren't doing anything ese!). Actually, IIRC the check was FOEEL:

HASELL (only one S) - pre- aeros checks:

There you go. That'll probably explain why I had such a hard time at BFTS - and also why no one ever thought of sending me to be a QFI.......

I once got hit around the head (literally) by a JP instructor for reciting by rote on the downwind leg in the circuit ".........undercarriage going down.....3 reds.....3 greens....." Before I'd even pressed the undercarriage down button.

• Like 2