A Brace of Dominies

Ascoteer

Sad lonely spinster?

hmm

not entirely conv........

The obvious answer would be for Ascoteer to attend a model show. There, she would find an almost infinite choice of charismatic, articulate single men (many of whom have their own unique aroma). None of them would be in any way...odd.

• Like 5

Crazy suggestion: How about moving your modelling stuff into another room - one with heating? :winkgrin:

Or buy one of those little oil filled radiators (with an extension lead if there's no electrics in the conservatory). They're really quite impressive in their ability to warm a room given their size - my son has been building a huge extension to his bungalow over the winter & had no heating for the three months over Christmas - three of these little blighters kept the place amazingly warm!

So, job jobbed & we can get our fix of Dominies again...!!!

K

• Like 1

I do my acrylic airbrushing in my office/modelling cave upstairs. The pongy/alclad stuff I do in the garage and when it's cold I rush the sprayed victim upstairs into the warm. It's a faff but better than drilling holes in the wall and fitting an extractor jobby.

Ditto. My modelling stuff is set up in a bureau so as I can drop the flap and use it as a work table and then if need be tidy stuff away in the cupboard and drawers of the bureau and close the flap.

The bureau is in a spare room we use to chill/watch TV and do hobbies.

The combination of acrylics + a quiet compressor + a long hose (so that the compressor can be stood on the landing outside the room with the door closed) means I can spray away without disturbing Mrs F whilst she's watching TV, sewing etc.

Makes for companionable evenings and an absence of complaint.

I nip down to the garage (which fortunately has an internal door to the house) to do smelly airbrushing like alclad work or priming with rattle cans etc.

The obvious answer would be for Ascoteer to attend a model show. There, she would find an almost infinite choice of charismatic, articulate single men (many of whom have their own unique aroma). None of them would be in any way...odd.

There will also be an almost infinite variety of clothing - well ok then I mean there will be a variety of fleece jackets and jeans........ :)

• Like 1

Saw on Facebook today that 32 Sqn now has ceased operating the HS.125.

I can't believe that I had hitherto missed this build entirely; the Dominie is not really a type that crossed the path of very many RN rotary aircrew, I guess, so I seemed always to look at more warry types. Won't make that mistake again. Having just read the whole thread, I can now safely say that my knowledge of the aircraft has increased about 500-fold.

Anything that has a "perch" for an Instructor gets my vote. Not to mention a servodyne (which sounds like something below stairs at Downton Abbey).

Hope Debs' conservatory warms up soon so we can see some progress...

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Despite all the advice about perfume?

Possible male suitors, where to meet them, and their fashion faux pas?

Heating my Conservatory?

(Dear Gods I'm in a Time Warp. It's 1977, I am 15, 'Jackie' is my comic of choice, and I'm reading 'Cathy and Clare'- AGAIN!)

And sundry other advice to (an ageing) single female, hopefully you will all be happy to know that work on the Doms has recommenced. The pre-DAU now has its undercarriage and main gear doors on.

I'll get some photo's up shortly. :)

Edited by Ascoteer
  • Like 5

I want pictures now

now I tells you now

(he he, although I do, I'm like the rest of us. I'll wait happy that there is progress)

I hope you arent really heating the conservatory ;)

I'd just assumed you were too busy taking our advice looking for Middle Aged (if you're lucky...) Fashion at the Bleeding Edge at assorted model shows...

Good to see the Doms back! You and Steve F return inside one week. Things are looking up.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Today, aside from the fact I have a nasty cold (who the hell sends their kids to Summer Camp with a cold just so they can infect everyone else? Rotters!), I have mainly been doing 'niff-naff and trivia'.

To whit the Nose-Gear doors.

The Airfix doors are correctly shaped but way too overscale in thickness. Accordingly I scratched some up out of 20thou Plastikard and added the door jacks/hinges from Microstrip (kit part shown at the bottom for comparison):

DSCF1022.jpg

I also did some aerials...

Airfix rather helpfully supply 3x 'L' shaped aerials. The fin mounted ones being for the ARI23118 VOR/ILS Localiser receiver, the (lower stbd) fuselage mounted one being the VHF aerial for the ARI 23117 VHF set. Surprisingly these are all well to scale in size and shape if rather thick. Several minutes work with a file reduced them to scale thickness:

DSCF1023.jpg

Sadly Airfix rather porked up the UHF, Marker and ADF sense aerials. In fact they supply 2 sets of the latter (the 'towel rails') but this is only correct for some early HS125s - the Dom, while it had twin ADF (in pre DAU form) only had a single towel rail.

While all Doms had the VOR/ILS and Marker aerials, in the early days they didn't all have the VHF set (with its associated aerial) - some merely having an ARC52 UHF set.

During my time some had a PTR175 UHF set as well as the ARI 23117 VHF set, and some had a PTR1751 U/VHF set as well as the ARI 23117. These latter aircraft had a combined V/UHF aerial (in addition to L shaped VHF aerial) that protruded from the lower side of the ventral bulge ahead of the wing (which contained the Doppler radar). Strangely enough on some a/c (such as 'T') this aerial was on the stbd side, onn other a/c (such as 'D') the aerial was on the port side.

Later, the aircraft carried a PTR1751 V/UHF and another, more modern V/UHF set.

The upshot of this is that the aerial fits change over time - you need to check your photographic resources to be accurate.

Fortunately for me, my Doms all had the lower stbd fuselage mounted L-shaped VHF aerial as well as the blade style UHF aerial mounted to the rear of the Flight Deck 'cap'.

• Like 1

Oh, I mentioned that the pre-DAU had her undercarriage and main-gear doors fitted.

Here they are together:

DSCF1024.jpg

DSCF1025.jpg

Tomorrow I shall think about masking the Flight Deck windshields and spraying the frames.

I'm rather gratified to discover that all that work I did on the Flight Decks is actually visible through the windshields!

Edited by Ascoteer
  • Like 9

Bill, I absolutely loved my (2000+ hrs) time on Albert.

But if I am honest?

The Dominie was just about the most fun aircraft any Multi-Engined Captain could get their hands on!

Edited by Ascoteer
  • Like 2

I always found the crew seats to be rather uncomfortable,very upright,and the aircraft a pain to work on,the aft equipment bay being particularly awkward,but I have to say I loved every minute.Your models are definitely doing the old girl justice.:-)

The Dom seats down the back were certainly quite 'upright' - not greatly comfortable if one was paxing out somewhere.

Ah yes, the 'black hole' of the aft equipment bay - hydraulic tank, aux pump (manual), fire bottles 1 and 2, and the No3 Battery (relighting for the use of) - beloved of pre-flight walkrounds...

The last couple of days have revolved mainly around fitting the windshields. On the pre-DAU the fit was particularly poor and required some careful filling and sanding back - thank the gods for 'Perfect Plastic putty'! It's water soluble, has no solvent so doesn't attack the plastic, goes on like polyfilla, and has a really fine texture - perfect for this job then.

After that, much masking (sounds like a place in the Cotswolds) of the framing was done .

Then I got the nosewheel bay doors on.

It all rather seems very little for 2 days work.

Pre-DAU:

DSCF1027.jpg

DSCF1026.jpg

Post DAU:

DSCF1028.jpg

DSCF1029.jpg

• Like 5

3 batteries is just showing off!

All Beefers just love dark, dank, inaccessible equipment bays. "Ah, Bloggs; tell me about the Number 17 Turbo-Cryogenic-Reverse-Osmosis-Rectifier that you can clearly see up there semi-hidden behind the Emergency Landaway Bagrat Stowage." I had a mate who was a Trapper (CO NFSF(RW), to be precise) - he was my lodger at Portland for a while, and at one stage I threatened to treble his rent if he didn't stop asking me ludicrous questions about the contents of the Sea King nose bay - I was flying the Lynx at the time, and he was a Lynx A2, but he was mugging up on the Sea King before taking over as Boss of Trappers, and wanted to bleed me dry!

All Beefers

Sorry Crisp, I'm not fully up to speed on WAFU-talk. Wots a 'Beefer'? I'm guessing QFI?

"Ah, Bloggs; tell me about the Number 17 Turbo-Cryogenic-Reverse-Osmosis-Rectifier

I never did that sort of thing as an A2, honest Guv'nor!

(at least not with Studes)...

Well I did but only with the ones I really didn't like...

For eg:

"OK Bloggs, what's the highest electrical load on the Jetstream TMk1?" *

or:

"Pilot Offcer Pratt, tell me what the longest continuous piece of metal is in the Jetstream TMK1?" **

* It's the anti-collision beacon / strobe on top of the fin.

** The main windings in the generators.

Edited by Ascoteer
  • Like 2

Just perusing this military chat fest, as you do, when I espied the pictures just above this posting of the Dominie's front ends

First reaction was to say, as we did in airborne forces ". . . . . . . . . " .....................rude stuff

As you will expect this being a family show, going out before the watershed etcetera

I have expurgated my own thoughts

Expletives deleted

naughty thoughts seriously punished

Debs, they are blloooomin gorgeous, well done m'm, best ever Doms ever

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Sorry, Debs - I wondered as I wrote it whether Beefer was a Dark-Blue-only term. Yes, it means QF/QHI. [Though beware; to a Royal Marine it means something entirely different - a gay man. History does not relate whether all RM QHIs are gay, but I'd rather you asked them than me).

The stupid thing with all these fact-fests is that 20 years on I only remember the niff-naff.

Aquaplaning speed of the Bulldog? 8.2 root of the tyre pressure in PSI. Utterly, utterly useless (though in the Aircrew Manual / ODMs somewhere, natch), not least because there was no way for the pilot to gauge the tyre pressure.

My favourite was a question of the day from 820 days. The first tourists had to come up with a new QOTD every morning, and if no-one could answer it you got much beer. The winner was "What kind of lubricant is nonoxynol-9?"

The answer is spermicidal lubricant on the johnnies carried in SF / Bootie survival packs (they put them over weapons - fnarr - to keep them dry, apparently).

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

The stupid thing with all these fact-fests is that 20 years on I only remember the niff-naff.

Ditto. Muchly!

Aquaplaning speed of the Bulldog? 8.2 root of the tyre pressure in PSI.

Psst. It's 8.9 ;)

The answer is spermicidal lubricant on the johnnies carried in SF / Bootie survival packs (they put them over weapons - fnarr - to keep the, dry, apparently).

Pure Comedy! Love it!

• Like 1

I do recall one vaguely useful thing, actually - again from Bulldog days, when as über-green studes we were trying to work out a mnemonic for something.

A mate came up with " I, I, Peter Rabbit, Charlie Elephant Doing Time". We all told him he was a git, but no-one ever came up with anything better.. and I still remember it all these years later. The man concerned is a BA A340 training captain now.

As an A2 Beefer (Beefette?) you will be able tell me what we wanted to remember...

• Like 1