Coastal Command kits and info

rivers3162

With regard to the Hudson, go for the Revell boxing. Yes it is a bit of a pig (I have a stalled build) but it features the Cyclone engined version applicable to Mk I to III. The Italeri boxing focuses on the Twin Wasp version (IV to VI) and I believe the cowlings are hopeless.

Trevor

One thing to watch with the Academy Cats is the engines. The cowls are distinctly undersized - the outside diameter is about what the inside should be - and the Quickboost resin substitutes simply replicate the problem. The kit engines which are closest to accurate are the ones in the old Revell nail (which, incidentally, comes with CC decals), and even they are slightly undersized. Hopefully when/if Mr Airfix gets around to an update the problem will be resolved.

The Academy PBY-5/5A kits have some other issues, notably involving the observers' bubbles in the rear fuselage, but do build up into quite reasonable-looking replicas.

Thank you all very much for the host of useful information! I've managed to pick up a Matchbox Halifax and Wellington so will start looking for some little extras to improve them with.

Will keep my eye out for a Warwick although given that I've only started modelling I don't know if I'm quite ready for vac form yet!

Also looking at the Italeri Sunderland but I was wondering if any of the Mk.1s used the white & temperate sea scheme or if that was only used on later versions? All the versions illustrated with the Italeri kit seem to be overall camo schemes.

AFAIK most, if not all, Sunderland 1s were in service before the white scheme was introduced, and would have had the overall camo scheme(s). I've not seen a picture of one in the later scheme. But never say never - it is possible that some may have survived long enough to be repainted. As always, the best way to approach the problem is to rely on your references - if you can find a picture of a Mk. 1 in a white scheme, you have your proof.

You might find some in the archives of 4© OTU, which was still flying Mk.Is into 1944 and in one case 1945. Photos of aircraft in OTUs are generally rare, and I've never seen one like that either. I couldn't find one in the recent Air Britain tome on the Sunderland.

You could do a prewar one in overall silver (Aluminium), either with red/white/blue (A) roundels or red/blue B ones.

Edited by Graham Boak

Admiral,Graham,

Thanks very much - I rather thought that the Mk. I was too early for the white scheme - but disappointing as for me that scheme IS Coastal Command in ww2 but I've just paid £30 for the Italeri Mk. I so I'll have to learn to love camo!

Although it does come with decals for some of the boats flying out of Oban. I recall visiting as a child and being taken to the local history museum which kicked off my fascination with flying boats.

Also looking at the Italeri Sunderland but I was wondering if any of the Mk.1s used the white & temperate sea scheme or if that was only used on later versions? All the versions illustrated with the Italeri kit seem to be overall camo schemes.

You certainly can get Mk I & II in the EDSG/DSG/White later in the war.

Click on this link and you will see either a Mk I or II in that scheme (more likely a Mk I with the three cockpit portholes, possible it was re-engined at Shorts)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ww2images/6902600189/in/photostream/

The Sunderland in this WWII film is a Mk II (with turret)

The Mk III version certainly wore it for a period, possibly not the Mk v though.

Bear in mind also, that the later version of the Mk III (though not all -only Britain based Sunderlands) and the Mk V's only had the 4 bow mounted MG's from early 1944, by which time they would have been in DSG/White scheme. Later versions of the Mk III/V also had the upper turret deleted.

Regards

Alan

Very interesting painting details seen on Sunderland in movie - have you noticed strange proportion of roundels on wing top? This is not B but looks for me like pre-war A with all white part painted red. Is it so? And the very rough demercation line for white on fuselage. And a very heavy weathering,,,

Regarding main topic - nobody told a word about whole family of MPM-Italeri Wimpy. Is it so bad indeed?

I still like mine Mk XIII :) :

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

WellyXIIIDsc01368m_zps73a6cc93.jpg

Regarding main topic - nobody told a word about whole family of MPM-Italeri Wimpy. Is it so bad indeed?

The top of the nose nose slopes down, the underside of the tail slopes up, the cockpit opening is too shallow vertically and too short lengthways. These are the same basic mistakes as the old Frog and AIrfix Wellingtons, which in turn match the drawings in AIrcraft of the Fighting Powers. Oh, and the cockpit internals are entirely fictitious.

I dealt with many of the MPM/Italeri corrections here and here. The build was started before the Trumpeter Wellingtons materialised, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered, but in the end it benefitted from a few Trumpeter spares. The paint reacted in the final stages of the build and I never had the heart to finish it,

Cheers,

Bill.

Thank you Bill for fast answer - your did a huge research and perfect work - I am deeply impressed. I wish to know those flaws earlier...This is a pitty you lost heart to it at the end.

On the other hand the Trumpeter Wellington has something seriously wrong with wheels (too narrow?) what spoils its look at the first sight for me...

I used MPM/Italeri to do Mk VI and early (turretless) Mk I as well, I posted them in last August in RFI. At least there is a chance, that MkVI is free of kit flaws near cabin and nose region :)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Very interesting painting details seen on Sunderland in movie - have you noticed strange proportion of roundels on wing top? This is not B but looks for me like pre-war A with all white part painted red. Is it so? And the very rough demercation line for white on fuselage. And a very heavy weathering,,,

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Standard B (or Type II) Roundel, same as on this 95 Squadron Mk I, dimensions 100 inch(?)

SunderlandMkIorII.jpg

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

looking at the Italeri Sunderland but I was wondering if any of the Mk.1s used the white & temperate sea scheme or if that was only used on later versions? All the versions illustrated with the Italeri kit seem to be overall camo schemes.

A Mk II is easy from the Italeri kit and some were in the later scheme

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940047-italeri-sunderland-mk-ii-raaf-10-squadron/

Italeri also do the same kit (panel lines and all - sigh) as a Mk III

http://www.italeri.com/scheda.asp?idProdotto=2349

Apart from the panel lines (sigh) it's a very nice kit.

Thanks very much - I rather thought that the Mk. I was too early for the white scheme - but disappointing as for me that scheme IS Coastal Command in ww2 but I've just paid £30 for the Italeri Mk. I so I'll have to learn to love camo!

This Photo may save you some anguish, it will require some work to blank off the aft beam gun positions on the italeri kit.

The photo is of Sunderland Mk I, L2163, at Shorts Belfast some time after April 21 1943 - Note the Dark Sea Grey/White scheme.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e242/hkins/Alans%20Planes/SunderlandmkI_zps103d7af1.jpg

Regards

Alan

On the other hand the Trumpeter Wellington has something seriously wrong with wheels (too narrow?) what spoils its look at the first sight for me...

Trumpeter made the nacelles too narrow and also got the wrong profile on the underside where it curves to meet the engine cowling. The knock on effect is the undercarriage bay being a good few millimetres too narrow (I forget the exact figure), so the entire undercarriage assembly is similarly narrowed to fit. Fixing it properly will mean major surgery to the wing, for which I've yet to summon up enough courage.

Despite this not insignificant shortcoming, the Trumpeter kit is orders of magnitude better than any of the others.

Cheers,

Bill.

• 2 months later...

I am interested in a Wellington VIII, LB240, which was constructed in November 1942 as a Torpedo Bomber variant. It then went via 32 and 8 MU's to 3 © OTU at Cranwell.

My question is: What camouflage pattern and colouring would have been applied to the aircraft - standard Sea Temperate and White Underside, or Night Bomber with Black Undersides?

Tia

Wimpyman

How about Temperate Sea Scheme with Night undersides? It would seem unlikely to have Night Bomber scheme if it was purpose built as a Mk.VIII.

The white sides/undersides were seen on torpedo bombers in OTUs (OK, Hampdens and Beauforts) but not as far as I know on operational aircraft. As it was intended as an anti-U-boat scheme, it wouldn't necessarily have been on day torpedo bomber Wellingtons anyway. If any were being considered for that use - I'd stick with the TSS/Night undersides but have no knowledge of the particular aircraft (or indeed OTU).

I'd go with Graham - Temperate Sea Scheme with Night undersides - as this is what Hampden TBs were finished in at that time, see http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205210336

Depending how long it took going through the MUs it's possible it could have caught the change from TSS to just EDSG uppersurfaces but I think TSS is the safe bet.

Edited by rossm

• 3 years later...
On 1/4/2015 at 5:52 PM, rivers3162 said:

I've managed to pick up a Matchbox Halifax and Wellington so will start looking for some little extras to improve them with.

A large axe comes to mind.  However, a Falcon set will improve the nose and all the transparent parts, which with new guns will bring the fuselage up to scratch.  However there's no quick way to improve the awful engines and propellers other than a lot of cutting, carving and some rework - although if you are lucky someone will have a spare set of Aeroclub intakes.  The wheels are OK but the undercarriage legs are anorexic.  The aileron chord is too wide on the upper wing but at least that's easy to fix.

I'd like to suggest simply buying a Revell one but their engines and propellers are even worse, although the fuselage is pretty good. The Halifax is not well represented in any scale.  Though the Revell Mk.III catches most of the flaws of the Merlin  one, Coastal Mk.IIIs are thin on the ground, most retaining their Bomber Command colours.  The only white one I know was an A MkIX.