F-5A Hellenic Air Force ( PM Model - 1/72 )

LanceR21

Hi guys !

This is going to be my first challenge for next year in modeling and only in one scale - 1/72, hoping that I'll finish every single kit in next period of the year... just can't start some kit, work on it for a while and stop... ( well, MiG-15 and F-84F will wait... :banghead: )

Most of you had an opportunity to have one of those old ESCI/Italeri F-5A's, I just saw it on store shelf when I was a kid. Nowadays I can't find it even online... I really hope that Trumpeter/HobbyBoss will release new kits, the last case scenario will be buying a new Wolfpack (... old ESCI... ?! )

Once in a while, I love to be masochist, doing simple and ruff kits, like this one for example - scratch-building and scribing panel lines, that's what i love to do ! :woot.gif: Kopro/KP kits are not good, but this is more like a chump ! Only aftermarket thing here will be an ejection seat and decals. There is no such a thing as a cockpit in this box, only two "pipes", holding the seat, which looks like two wooden boards glued together... there is nothing I can do - just make a cockpit ! I mean, how hard can it be... :spam:

Greek aircrafts - I love them ! Choosing between camouflaged version, "Aegean blue" and NMF was not an easy job for me, 'cause they are all great - want to have them all ! I realized that this kit is not going to be like Tamiya/Hasegawa, so I decided to be "Aegean blue" - it's also a great painting and tehnique practice !

This is how it looks now...

See you soon !

Northrop_F-5A_Freedom_Fighter_Greece_-_A
1_zps7c27203e.jpg
20141230_221819_zps321d91c5.jpg
20141230_221917_zps50e65ea6.jpg
20141230_225900_zpse307c99e.jpg
20141230_231938_zpsa192fe84.jpg
20141231_014942_zps4351845b.jpg
20141231_020232_zps0f2aa6b0.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

For some strange, bizarre reason, I like crappy kits like this. Keep up the good work taming this beast.

Cheers,

Tom.

Very nice scribing!!

What do you use for scriber? The lines are really thin, like hasegawa's kits.

Can't wait to see more of this HAF Freedom Fighter!!

The roundels of these decals are thicker than the original ones. I would suggest trying Icarus Decals for the F-5's

Very nice scribing!!

What do you use for scriber? The lines are really thin, like hasegawa's kits.

Can't wait to see more of this HAF Freedom Fighter!!

The roundels of these decals are thicker than the original ones. I would suggest trying Icarus Decals for the F-5's

Thank you !

I'm using one from Trumpeter, home made knife and simple needle... :thumbsup:

Almost finished !

20150710_225428_zpscrack2jw.jpg

20150710_225434_zpszusu82j5.jpg

20150710_225524_zps6bkf4emc.jpg

20150710_225540_zpsfeiwzhge.jpg

20150710_225647_zps22cfbiqq.jpg

20150710_232956_zps1o9ktxwk.jpg

20150710_233005_zpsl4uhfvw2.jpg

20150711_011718_zpspsfdxmht.jpg

20150711_011756_zpscfguneof.jpg

• Like 1

Somewhat masochistic, but .... wow! Really impressive.

I'm fascinated by your scribing of the panel lines on the kit. There is something I never understood on this technique: I know what kind of scriber people use, I know what is used as a template or ruler to get the lines straight, but I don't know how to translate the positions of the lines from a drawing onto the model's surface. Do you use the old raised lines as a guide or do you draw the pattern freehand with a pencil on the model, erasing and redrawing until it looks right?

Thanks in advance.

Ole

Edited by Doc72
  • Like 1

Somewhat masochistic, but .... wow! Really impressive.

I'm fascinated by your scribing of the panel lines on the kit. There is something I never understood on this technique: I know what kind of scriber people use, I know what is used as a template or ruler to get the lines straight, but I don't know how to translate the positions of the lines from a drawing onto the model's surface. Do you use the old raised lines as a guide or do you draw the pattern freehand with a pencil on the model, erasing and redrawing until it looks right?

Thanks in advance.

Ole

Right, I'm masochist when it comes to kits... :mental::thumbsup: But in the other hand, today's kits are boring and they should be called puzzles, everything is detailed and super precise... I just can't find anything exciting there. From time to time, I do quality kits, just to relax myself from projects like this...

Scribing is really an easy job, you just need patience and steady hands and on the first place, good plan. Usually, I do that when parts are not glued yet in order to to some corrections if it's needed but I made an exception this time. First, you need to find good and precise blueprints in scale. The easiest way to scribe panel lines is to draw them first on the plastic and then do the job. You also asked how I translate positions of the lines from a drawing onto the model's surface - well, if everything is in scale and main parts are matching with your blueprints, then, I do it with a ruler by measuring the distance of each panel. Raised lines are useful if you are a beginner in scribing and it can definitely help you. I use to do that few years ago and it works.

Cockpit is almost done...

20150718_221525_zpsu3awdqum.jpg

20150719_005203_zpsk6va1y72.jpg

20150719_005255_zps9aec3lfe.jpg

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 4

Right, I'm masochist when it comes to kits... :mental::thumbsup: But in the other hand, today's kits are boring and they should be called puzzles, everything is detailed and super precise... I just can't find anything exciting there. From time to time, I do quality kits, just to relax myself from projects like this...

Scribing is really an easy job, you just need patience and steady hands and on the first place, good plan. Usually, I do that when parts are not glued yet in order to to some corrections if it's needed but I made an exception this time. First, you need to find good and precise blueprints in scale. The easiest way to scribe panel lines is to draw them first on the plastic and then do the job. You also asked how I translate positions of the lines from a drawing onto the model's surface - well, if everything is in scale and main parts are matching with your blueprints, then, I do it with a ruler by measuring the distance of each panel. Raised lines are useful if you are a beginner in scribing and it can definitely help you. I use to do that few years ago and it works.

Thank you for the explanation. That way, it doesn't sound that difficult. I will give it a dry some day. Maybe on one of these recent Airfix kits after filling the trench-like panel lines on the model.

• 2 weeks later...