Oh wise group build leader,

I humbly prostrate my unworthy self and ask that I be allowed to mangle this old chestnut:

entry.jpg

Apart from the funky Prisoner type circles from the Model Alliance Wings of Stars sheet, I may also add some resin exhausts, a Squadron vac canopy and the Eduard etch. Seeing as I have never actually used any resin, vac or etch before should not present a problem, after all what could possibly go wrong?

Anil The Optimist

• Like 5

An extended Xmas break meant little styrene molesting was done as I was taking in the Late Turner at the Tate Britain: Meh, is my considered opinion, Ruskin was right, the good stuff happened much earlier. Still, nice to meet the entire population of Japan in one gallery , all diligently capturing every moment on their smartphones…”Look, me in front of Turner painting, me in front of annoyed small brown man trying to look at Turner painting , me uploading photos of me to Facebook, me having exhibition catalogue surgically inserted by still annoyed small brown man etc.”

Enough arty nonsense, as I wait for my Yahu etched panel and various other goodies, I cracked on with gay abandon (until her mum came round and walloped me). Look ma, my first phototech!

pitetch.jpg

pedals.jpg

It is remarkable how much satisfaction there is in fiddling with microscopic bits of brass and making them go where you want. I will never fear 1/72 109e aileron balances again. My (un)patented etch pickyupythingy worked a treat as did this new brass item for applying the CA:

etchtools.jpg

It’s an Eduard tool that you can clean in Acetone, which will also strip your work surface, bleach the cat and get you as high as an ejecting SR71 pilot. Good stuff. I will return tomorrow as I now have some more remedial work on me stalled whiffer.

Good evening and Good King Wenceslas

Anil

• Like 4

Isn't photo etch fun?

Spent all of today priming, spraying and attaching the wee beasties, will wait until tomorrow till everything is washed and weathered before posting but one little update. The canopy crank is very prominent in these and needs to be silver while the handle is zinc chromate. Much fun was had trying paint and then glue these microscopic pieces, and I have cunning plan for the knob at the end of the crank handle...

etch1.jpg

Am retiring my as eyes can no longer focus and I am in danger of spilling me Old Pulteney 21, a hanging offence in Scotland.

Anil the Visually Challenged

• Like 1

A satisfying week of diminishing but pleasant returns: All the 'pit etch was painted and duly installed.

The kit seat got Eduard Super Fabric belts that could possibly do with some muting: Funny things, they appear to be very thin plastic.

seat.jpg

Note to self: straighten wonky etch pedals (or deflect rudder). The pit side came up well with the prominent crank handle being built up using coloured PVA. Placards/switches are Mike Grant decals. A bit of silvering but invisible to the naked eye

port.jpg

stbd.jpg

I like the 3d effect of the levers and knobs, not as busy as a real ‘pit but a good attempt. Not sure about the lurid green but it came out of a Model Master enamel bottle labelled "Zinc Chromate Green" and that in itself is a call for thousand paint gurus to start rabidly howling...

portint.jpg

stbdint.jpg

This lovely Yahu premade panel will round off the interior (it’s for a P40M but I won’t tell if you won’t and wait till you see the Quickboost K-14 not N-3 gunsight...). I think its supposed to be black: But hey. I was born in Africa and came out a rather pale shade of brown intend of lovely ebony, whaddya gonna do eh?

yahu.jpg

The three cooler etch pieces didn't fare so well, my chosen method of supporting during airbrushing meant a few clogs but nothing to tear up my IPMS membership card over:

coolers.jpg

Academy leave a bleedin’ great ‘ole where the carb intake is:

carbintake.jpg

So I made this nifty little blanking plate. Strip cut to shape, doused in Roket Hot and then some e-cig mesh pushed into to form a mesh impression. Blast of Metalcote and Robert is a distant relative on your mother’s side.

carbintake2.jpg

A lot of work for what seems a like a few small bits but I think the real joy of the “Gentleman’s Scale” is the jewel like effect you can achieve in such tiny spaces- remember I’ve shot these with a 90mm macro from centimetres, to the naked eye they look like clockwork (if your clock maker was sloppy with his airbrush and threw oil wash everywhere ,that is).

Finally, what a relief it is to have decent tripod, my Benro Transformer holds my brute of a Nikon D600 rock solid and makes close up photography a positive hoot.

Well a weekend of eating, drinking and chasing my redhead around, looms but I should be closing the fuselage on Sunday for next weeks shenanigans.

Me. I’m having fun, I am

Anil

• Like 3

Looking good anil just remind me what scale this is? As For the zinc chromate everyone has Their own Slight variance Some bright some yellow some dark and all shades were never the same I wouldn't worry the colour looks right to me

• Like 1

Curtiss used their own mix of interior green on the P-40.....which still varied in shade from batch to batch.

Just go with what your happy with mate :)

Only thing i will point out, in almost all case's the area behind the scalloped plexiglass behind the cockpit was painted the exterior camouflage colour rather than Interior Green

• Like 2

Curtiss used their own mix of interior green on the P-40.....which still varied in shade from batch to batch.

Just go with what your happy with mate :)

Only thing i will point out, in almost all case's the area behind the scalloped plexiglass behind the cockpit was painted the exterior camouflage colour rather than Interior Green

Cheers Mungo, I am now at peace with my naff green : The scalloping colour advice in most welcome as I would have to respray everything after I had sanded down the seam at the pilots headrest anyway, olive green it is.

Anil

A minor update while I wait for the fuselage to dry before ritual deseaming: Note these ‘orrible little stubs pretending to be 0.50 cal machine guns

acguns.jpg

Now what they need to be, is some thing like this, courtesy of Quickboost.

qbguns.jpg

So a nerve racking half hour with tiny diamond files meant I got 1.15mm holes opened up in the upper wing without destroying it. A small victory for a small brown man.

holes.jpg

Tomorrow is another day even if, frankly my dear, you dont give a damn…

Anil Going With the Wind

• Like 2

Well done anil but would you do it again?

What kind of superkingkamaya dimwit would want to go through this much eye agony again?

moreguns.jpg

Doh!

Anil The Armamentally Challenged

Some great work there, really like the etch work

Why thank ye Mr S and I really, really like your P40STGB sig, even thought of appropriating it.

Anil The Logo Envious

• 4 weeks later...

Ah the joys of an extended Xmas break and handholding my Japanese clients have meant I touched base in good ol' Blighty but a few days ago so my poor Kitty has been neglected. Never mind, she's all zipped up and various detail parts added:

zipped-up.jpg

I went with the Eduard PE panel in the end as the lovely Yahu just looked very wrong in its resplendent light grey, I was most pleased with the cockpit (and the fact most of it is still in there and not in the carpet monsters gullet);

pit.jpg

The "wrong" gun sight was a joy to put together even if the hokey Eduard coaming cut outs wouldn't allow it fit snugly. As this is my first open canopy effort I was amazed how good the PE panel and the delightful Quickboost gun sight looks, even if my eyes crossed manhandling the tiny reflector glass into position:

panel.jpg

The scratched carb intake grille looks better than expected:

grilles.jpg

Added some spurious PE to the wheel wells, should look OK when painted:

wells.jpg

God may be in the details but praise be to the Czech resin pourers and acid etchers. Canopy masking and primer tomorrow, if this keeps up may even do a P-40M that's in the stash...

Good night and good hunting,

Anil

• Like 2

Excellent work and patience with that etch

Thanks DD, rather than rushing to destroy loads of kits (unlike some who can do detail as well as speed e.g. Cookenbacher!) I thought it might be more fun to try all those things I admire in others models: A 1/72 brimming with detail is really just one of those "wow" things when you look at it. I am going to do a few quickies after this but not till I master the Fine Art of Denying the Carpet Monster. And speaking of patience, the fun will start when I try to work out how to get these in to the 0.2mm holes I have drilled for them....

sights.jpg

- Anil the Nanotech Lover

• Like 3