Indian Air Force MiG-21bis #C2316 (1/48, Eduard)

I've finally switched to my favorite scale and topic - 1/48 jets. This project will be almost out of the box (Eduard profipack contains masks, PE parts) with resin wheels, ejection seat and pitot tube made from turned brass. I hope you'll enjoy following pictures as I will enjoy the building progress. Here we go :)
BvDbgbm.jpg
These pictures are from November when I started this build. I've used Mr. Paint interior green and my trust in the shades of the colour went out of the window when I glued prepainted PE parts without checking it before. Silly me, but it's beyond a repair so I will be smarter next time. Once painted with green, I applied the pigments into the nozzle. I've played with it since then so it looks more decent now. Wheel bays are painted with MRP-81 Anodized Aluminium, details painted by a brush and Vallejo Colors. Up to this point, I was pushed by my friend to build faster, but I am unable to, so from here I will build in my own tempo.
2014_11_16_15_00.jpg
2014_11_16_15_01.jpg
2014_11_16_16_36.jpg

Back to work! I assembled the fuselage, dorsal spine with the fin, wing and the whole damn thing. Now I am going to sand seams and repair engraved lines and rivets.
IMG_5026.jpg
IMG_5034.jpg
  • Like 6

Good start, I do like the Eduard Migs, very nice kits. If it makes you feel better about the cockpit colour issues, it's probably the etch that's to blame, the colour is a bit off! Those Mr Paint paints are good, is that their metallic you used in the wheel well? I wondered how they matched up to Alclads...

Good start, I do like the Eduard Migs, very nice kits. If it makes you feel better about the cockpit colour issues, it's probably the etch that's to blame, the colour is a bit off! Those Mr Paint paints are good, is that their metallic you used in the wheel well? I wondered how they matched up to Alclads...

Thanks, I just had a chat with people behind the MRP and I was told that the shade of the color is exactly the same as the sample they got from a real thing. Eduard's PE parts are a bit blue-ish. Wheel bays are also MRP + dry brush with Uschi van der Rosten metallic pigment. Great stuff.

Thanks, I just had a chat with people behind the MRP and I was told that the shade of the colour is exactly the same as the sample they got from a real thing. Eduard's PE parts are a bit blue-ish. Wheel bays are also MRP + dry brush with Uschi van der Rosten metallic pigment. Great stuff.

You're not the first person to recommend those pigments, I must give them a try!

Nice job so far! There are so many different shades of Mig interior green that it is not incorrect at all, even from individual cockpits with refurbishments, replacements and wear and tear of panels.

• Like 1

David,,

hello and :post1:

I LOVE MiG's ... and its gonna be even better to see this as its INDIAN scheme you are doing which I LOVE.... :heart::heart::heart:

You have done an EXCELLENT job on it so far and look forward to seeing what you do with it ...cant wait ...

it looks GREAT already. :worthy::worthy:

• Like 1

Thanks chaps :)

I've done some small parts on the fuselage and wings, added control surfaces, PE parts and Master pitot tube made of turned brass which is a kick bottom detail. Now I'm about to apply surfacer on the canopy before I will glue the wind shield and start to apply black base over the whole airframe. It's a real fun to build this kit.

t0TKYr8.jpg

sRH9X7q.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very attractive scheme and judging the pictures of the real one and your model you nailed it! Love the bright yellow combined with the brown color. Those Indian Mig's are always a colourful break from the grey planes we see so often.

Evert

Thanks gentlemen, your words means a lot to me since I don't find my builds so attractive and I like 'em more over the time. Now I just dislike what I did. I know it's odd, but I can't help myself.

Here's a shot of the upper side after filters and wash. A lot of stuff done for the first time. Next one will be better since I am learning it hard way.

itQ2yqX.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
On 2/6/2015 at 1:14 AM, David Lengyel said:

Thanks gentlemen, your words means a lot to me since I don't find my builds so attractive and I like 'em more over the time. Now I just dislike what I did. I know it's odd, but I can't help myself.

Here's a shot of the upper side after filters and wash. A lot of stuff done for the first time. Next one will be better since I am learning it hard way.

itQ2yqX.jpg

Hello David,

I just purchased this kit and I love your MiG-21. Are there any updates? I've got a passion for Indian Air Force aircraft and your bird is spot on. What were the exact colors you used for the camo? Looking great so far!

Edited by Hobo