Airfix Vanguard & Comet Being Reissued

garryrussell

Has the Vanguard dropped in price since last week? Could have sworn they were both series 4 & £14.99, just had a look at the Airfix site and the Vanguard is down to series 3 & £10.99. I'll be buying a few more if it's £10.99.

Paul Harrison

I would imagine Gary Russell knows more about this, but looking at photos I think Invicta used ex Air Canada Vanguards, as they have different positions for the passenger exit door handles, BEA ones are positioned low, and I don't think Invicta ones had the small oval windows, possibly where the toilets were

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Invicta-International/Vickers-952-Vanguard/1985837/L/&sid=235b08fdddc11c45e0f3b41422ecf585

This picture shows the door handle position different to BEA Vanguards

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Canada/Vickers-952-Vanguard/2409531/L/&sid=54248e09009e5984b502d52bbd855aa4

Yep

Plus the horizontal bar on the cockpit triangular window was only on the prototype and the BEA 951 aircraft (G-APEA-F)

As regards the pax operators, Air Viking and Silver City were two others.

One thing to watch for is if you model G-APEF (forget PK-reg) in MNA or G-APEG in ABC livery, they both kept their faded BEA red wings. On the first MNA livery, the ex TCA kept the black cockpit and the ex BEA kept the white. MNA was the only operator of The V.951,952 & 953

• Like 1

Can't get the link, but there has never been a Saudi Vanguard

There isn't one Gary.Its a Photoshopped wind up! Looks good though until you look real close. Threw me too,I didn't have picture of one or not able to find it in Vanguard fleet histories.

Too see it Google Image search Vickers Vanguard.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Would have liked the Vanguard to have the TCA or Air Canada as an option. the only other airline to operate them other than the freighters.

Airfix USA Division released the Vanguard with TCA decals and the Comet with BOAC decals, which was completely wrong as BOAC never had Comet 4Bs, but I guess they felt they would sell more to people that saw TCA Vanguards and BOAC 'Comets'; in North America. Whisky Jack made a much more accurate TCA decal sheet for the Vanguard and i have a sheet in my stash, as well as an Airfix USA Vanguard.

• 1 month later...

Airfix US also released the Boeing 707-420 as Air Force 1 & RCAF plus Caravelle III in United

Yes and again both wrong as Air Force One was a Boeing 707-320 and not a 420 with RR engines and United's Caravelles didn't have a spine running down the roof.

Seems Airfix USA didn't care about authenticy!

Yes and again both wrong as Air Force One was a Boeing 707-320 and not a 420 with RR engines and United's Caravelles didn't have a spine running down the roof.

This begs the question whether they were at all aware what authenticity actually means, let alone whether they cared for it.

It also begs the question of how authentic (even once we take the engines and dorsal fin extension out of the reckoning) the 707-420 and Caravelle are...

Edited by skippiebg

Airfix USA Division released the Vanguard with TCA decals and the Comet with BOAC decals, which was completely wrong as BOAC never had Comet 4Bs, but I guess they felt they would sell more to people that saw TCA Vanguards and BOAC 'Comets'; in North America. Whisky Jack made a much more accurate TCA decal sheet for the Vanguard and i have a sheet in my stash, as well as an Airfix USA Vanguard.

I wondered where those Airfix TCA Vanguards came from. I've seen pictures of them on Google image searches. I thought I don't remember those,now I'm not surprised I'd never seen one!

About time too. I spent 20 Years looking for another Comet after my childhood one went wrong. I finally found one at Telford in November for a Tenner. Then now I find out about this.. Very pleased to hear it. Just can't believe its taken them so long to reissue these kits.

That was exactly my point...they reissue without any regard for accuracy

The TCA US issue Vanguard was out for I think two years 1963-65

Edited by garryrussell

• 1 month later...

Forget the cabin windows, why on earth is it at that attitude at a Flight Level that appears to be close to its maximum?

Does it matter!!?? Its only a piece of CG art!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Forget the cabin windows, why on earth is it at that attitude at a Flight Level that appears to be close to its maximum?

Can't see a problem with that. Vanguard had a service ceiling of what, 30,000? And cumulus can form with tops under 6,500 ft.

Nick