1/72 Blackbird Lincoln Conversion - Masks off!

woody37

OK, with some clarity about the tail end, here is my recommendation for making the cuts when building the conversion to keep cuts to a minimum (Note the drawing in the images below are the Lancaster, not the Lincoln, the Lincoln Warpaint profile is incorrect as it shows the rear end being the same angles as the Lancaster):

45c_zps374c5fc9.jpg

I appreciate that the off centre line will result in some minor difference in mating surface dimensions (a2 + b2 = c2 principle, but nothing that a course sanding stick, kick bottom attitude and a bit of fettling shouldn't sort!)

Alternatively, if you want to do what I did to keep the resin plug well lined up, cut an additional slot in the plastic parallel to the others. I inserted some plasticard tabs to the cut on the forward fuselage ready to locate the rear end to . Then sitting the fuselage over a profile drawing (in my case on the PC monitor as I didn't have a printed version!!), apply some glue and locate the rear end of one side only to get the angle desired. This was then allowed to dry and then tabs added to the other half in the same way. The two halves were then taped together and the second rear end part glued in place using it's oppo to correctly align it:

45d_zps83a2131f.jpg

Inside the fuselage showing the rather hasty approach to fixing things!

46a_zpsab429a03.jpg

• Like 7

The build so far is tempting me to get the conversion, but it's the lack of the alternate radome that might possibly put me off. Either way, the price doesn't really put me off, and i'm sure it'll help Airfix shift a few extra B.II kits. The RAAF nose plug (trimmed down) may also come in handy for anyone wanting to build a Canadian Mk.10AR Lancaster, an added 'plus' for me.

Looking forward to seeing this build progress,

WV908

The build so far is tempting me to get the conversion, but it's the lack of the alternate radome that might possibly put me off. Either way, the price doesn't really put me off, and i'm sure it'll help Airfix shift a few extra B.II kits. The RAAF nose plug (trimmed down) may also come in handy for anyone wanting to build a Canadian Mk.10AR Lancaster, an added 'plus' for me.

Looking forward to seeing this build progress,

WV908

That's a good idea about the RAAF nose plug - I've always wanted to do the Mk.10AR Lancaster. Neil, thank you for the explanation and drawings - most helpful to anyone attempting this conversion.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

As they say at the sea side

That's the way to do it

and probably Neil your way is going to be just as righty as the proper adjusted way

Loving this conversion, another classic

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Hacker, thanks for posting that up, great reference. I can confirm that the Warpaint profile is incorrect as the rear end mirrors the Lancaster, so take care if you use these drawings.

I've just checked the build against Hackers posting above and it's pretty close so I'm happy :)

• Like 1

Hacker, thanks for posting that up, great reference. I can confirm that the Warpaint profile is incorrect as the rear end mirrors the Lancaster, so take care if you use these drawings.

I've just checked the build against Hackers posting above and it's pretty close so I'm happy :)

It is no problem. l have what you may call an extensive reference library both in book and PDF form that l have collected over they years. Always try to help out a fellow modeller when ever l can or as l usually say its my random good deed for the day .....makes up for all those l killed in my sleep lol

• Like 1

How she looks with the canopy and nose sat in place....in a Rolf Harris accent - can you tell what it is yet?

The sanding I've done at the back end makes it look like there's a lump on top, but it's just an illusion exaggerated because of a gap in the seam caused during the tail lift

47_zpsc18c0075.gif

48_zpsd1c7beff.gif

Next job to get the gear nacelles on, drill out a turret location and start on the interior.

Cheers

• Like 10

I`ve just read the entire thread from the start and it is another classic Neil,....to add to the Halifax, Stirling, Whitley and others!

You should contact somebody like Gary Hatcher at SAM Publications to see if they are interested in putting them all together in print, just like the book which was done on Luftwaffe modelling. They did a book about modelling RAF Bombers but yours could be aimed at the next level up as a Bomber Command Master Class,...it would be a great source of reference!

Keep up the brilliant work mate,.....you are doing a great job,

Tony

PS- Are you still struggling for decals or are you fixed up? Drop me a PM if you are stuck on anything as I may be able to help?

• Like 3

Neil's work here (and his other WIPs) make me green with envy - always so neat and clean looking. I try (very unsuccessfully!) to emulate some of his work.

TonyOT's suggestion about having these WIPs collated and published is a good one (thinks ... Tony's WIPs could also be published!),

It's a pleasure to read all of these WIPs. Thanks for taking the trouble to put the together.

Happy 2015, everyone,

Jonny

• Like 1

I`ve just read the entire thread from the start and it is another classic Neil,....to add to the Halifax, Stirling, Whitley and others!

You should contact somebody like Gary Hatcher at SAM Publications to see if they are interested in putting them all together in print, just like the book which was done on Luftwaffe modelling. They did a book about modelling RAF Bombers but yours could be aimed at the next level up as a Bomber Command Master Class,...it would be a great source of reference!

Keep up the brilliant work mate,.....you are doing a great job,

Tony

PS- Are you still struggling for decals or are you fixed up? Drop me a PM if you are stuck on anything as I may be able to help?

Hi Tony,

TBH, if I was doing it for a book, I'd probably feel under pressure unless they could lean on past builds too, thank you for the kind compliments. I've ordered some generic codes and roundels, but ideally wanted something with a bit more character like the ones operating from RAF Tengah that had bomb tally's on them. I might do it as RF476, could cobble together some of the nose art from the decal collection. Still got time to sort that out!

Neil's work here (and his other WIPs) make me green with envy - always so neat and clean looking. I try (very unsuccessfully!) to emulate some of his work.

TonyOT's suggestion about having these WIPs collated and published is a good one (thinks ... Tony's WIPs could also be published!),

It's a pleasure to read all of these WIPs. Thanks for taking the trouble to put the together.

Happy 2015, everyone,

Jonny

Hi Jonny,

When I'm sneezing from resin dust and superglue fumes, it all feels far from clean during the build, but hopefully, people can learn from my mistakes as they happen...story of my life ha ha!!!!

Much of the time, the ned result is more about patience than skill in that I'll keep going back over something if it's not looking right. Costs a ruddy fortune in primer!!!!

Got the interior painted and the fuselage sewn up last night, next job, tackle the seams, then stick the nose on, but happy with the progress :)

Cheers

Wow Neil, you're treating us royally to another magic build thread and I think you've nailed the rear end just about spot on. I was saying to Tony, if I still lived in Sale we could've popped round and watched over your shoulder.

Colin

Wow Neil, you're treating us royally to another magic build thread and I think you've nailed the rear end just about spot on. I was saying to Tony, if I still lived in Sale we could've popped round and watched over your shoulder.

Colin

Cheers Colin,

Where do you live now? I keep threatening to meet up with Tony

Neil, it's still not too late to go with the MR.31 nose. Don't leave it up to me to build one; it will never be built, we both know that! Seriously, though, this is looking good.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 2