Vietnam: J-6(MiG-19)1/48 -={FINISHED}=-

So i have narrowed the contenders down to:

-A "spotty" MiG-17F no. 2072 using the Hobby Boss kit.

or

-A "patchy" Shenyang J-6 no. 6065 6066 using the Trumpeter kit.

BTW i'm using this decal sheet: http://www.lds.airplanephoto.net/decals/12-lds-48007/index.htm

but i still need to decide which one to build.......... :frantic:

:cheers:

Edited by The dragonborn
  • Like 1

N-thing the J-6 option, less often seen and quite attractive. If you're going to use the Trumpy kit I can offer some advice, too.

Edited as the autocorrect changed a Chinese manufacturer into a Snow White companion, LOL.

Edited by Bonehammer
  • Like 1

By popular demand i'm going to build........(drum roll): :frantic:

The beast(J-6) :wicked:and not the beauty(MiG-17 IMHO :whistle: )

15555392944_f3e1d3699f_c.jpg

If you're going to use the Trumpy kit I can offer some advice, too.

Yes please :thumbsup: , i would like to know where the fit gremlins :devil: are hiding in this kit.

3 hours to go :waiting:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got the cockpit done yesterday.

The only addition is the masking tape seatbelts, and the grey colour used is vallejo 70905/fs 35237, the gear bays will get same the grey.

16238589406_2315fcbca6_c.jpg

And today the cockpit was mounted on the intake splitter. One headache, was the fact that the leading edge of the splitter plate was moulded on the intake ring, with a nasty seam to follow, hence the filler.

Also got the quite spartan exhaust assembly done, as you can't fit it after joining the fuselage as the instructions say.

16081019717_5704df4941_c.jpg

And i'm not looking forward to cleaning that filler mess up :owww:

:frantic:

Edited by The dragonborn
  • Like 2

Will be watching... one of my favourites the Mig-19.......

You might like this too... seen back in Jan 2011, a poor shot, taken in horrendous weather and lack of concentration but you get the idea.

16240856632_622300deb5_b.jpgShenyang J-6 (Mig-19) 6058 - Hanoi, Vietnam Air Force Museum by Totallyrad.co.uk, on Flickr

• Like 1

Great start there.

Plus, as Radleigh's photo shows, no need to put a fence around the museum exhibits when the ones on the wings are that big!

• Like 2

One headache, was the fact that the leading edge of the splitter plate was moulded on the intake ring, with a nasty seam to follow, hence the filler.

Also got the quite spartan exhaust assembly done, as you can't fit it after joining the fuselage as the instructions say.

And i'm not looking forward to cleaning that filler mess up :owww:

:frantic:

I had missed that one as I built the radar nose version. The worse gaps were on the underside with all the alternative parts for the cannon armed Farmer.

The kit lacks the spring-operated doors on the upper fuselage. They're barely visible on the photo Radleigh provided: follow the flag poles down along an imaginary line and you'll see them... You can 1) live with it, 2) engrave all 8 doors with the help of a template, 3) cut to size aluminium tape and stick it onto the fuselage in the appropriate locations. Also, I don't know where Trumpeter got the idea that there are strakes on the fuselage on each side of the tailfin. They were missing in every walkthrough I checked.

HTH,

Bone

Edited by Bonehammer
  • Like 2

Progress so far:

16310740996_c49a3d7211_c.jpg

16335814492_8ba06ce855_c.jpg

The wings only attaches by the fuselage fairings, and that makes careful dryfitting and alignment very important.

I did try to engrave the the small intake doors, but i'm not really happy with the result.

Also, I don't know where Trumpeter got the idea that there are strakes on the fuselage on each side of the tailfin. They were missing in every walkthrough I checked.

Oh bugger those are going to be fun removing with the fin attached. :poo:

But anyway thanks for the tips Bone, they are spot on. :thumbsup2:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...