S.A.I. Ambrosini 207, vacu 1/72 scratch conversion

JWM

Hi,

Some vacu forms for today from my shelvs. And fighters, not secondliners.

First is S.A.I. Ambrosini 207. She is in markings of 74 Escadrilla, 3 Stormo, 23 Gruppo, Regia Aeronautica, Cerveteri, Italy, July 1943.

Markings are taken from a profile by Richard Ward, from a book "50 Fighters 1939-45", Aircam No. S17, Osprey Ltd, via Wing Palette. I am writing this full reference here, since no other sources about use of this type in 74 Escadrilla are know to me.

S.A.I. 207 - This was a fighter - an example of concept of "light fighter": - like Caudron 714 or Miles M 20. All those concepts became not sucessfull, indeed. S.A.I 207, like others, saw also very limited use.

One can read more about this type here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosini_SAI.207

Now there is a nice kit of Ambrosini 207 in RS in 1/72 scale. However - I did this model many years before RS released it... it was in 1996.

As basis I used a vacu model by Modelland - but this was model of next Ambrosini design - S.A.I. 403 Dardo. Dardo was just a single prototype. I basicly exclude prototypes from my collection, just to have some limits of my interest to models of military airplanes from 1935-45. With prototypes I will have to end up with 1000 models in stash...

Here is this vacu form kit:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/72-ambrosini-sai-403-dardo-vacu-153029318

S.A.I. 403 was develpment of S.A.I 207 - its differs with wing, tail, front of fuselage... :) . Only.

The conversion was a scratch work.

One can compare plans for both S.A.I Ambrosini (207 and 403) and read more about this interesting and rather forgotten family of Italian fighters here:

http://www.aviastar.org/air/italy/ambrosini_s-403.php

http://www.aviastar.org/air/italy/ambrosini_s-207.php

Comments welcomed

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

sai 207 DSC03083sai 207 DSC03084

sai 207 DSC03082sai 207 DSC03081

sai 207 DSC03085sai 207 DSC03086sai 207 DSC04934sai 207 DSC04935sai 207 DSC04936sai 207 DSC04937

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 15

Thank you Houston for your kind oppinion! I appreciate it very much. And I thank you for New Year greetings, have a happy New Year also - I wish you many interesting models in incoming year :)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• 2 years later...

HI Jerzy!!!!

Wonderful build of this little known fighter in your collection!!!

I have missed your nice work in this aircraft, and watched by first time without knew what this one really is; I would have thought that it was a normal mainstream model of the subject.

I liked the way you have finished this bird, with that soft weathering and solid nice green and grey base, really a great subject to know many more about that. 

For sure will be back to get thelinks to some  reading getting knowledge of those forgotten aircraft, as all the world was not only filled with Mustangs and Spitfires!!!!

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Lusis - Alfonso,

In morning I have just tome time click "like". Now I can tel that I appreciete very much your kind words of enthusiasm.

I appreciete it very much. Below some new photos in better light. Edit - I put all photos to first post...

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
change of organization
  • Like 2

Hi Jerzy!!!

Thank you very much!!!

I was wondering how difficult will be to find this jewel on Ebay, but for sure will try, this one deserves all the job invested in her as its a true rare example of a nice looking bird!!! It was a pity it was no so more known or maybe the mainstream makers would have done one.

Thank you very much for the new pocs, for sure as the first chance will  get mine and will ask you for advise to make a nice models as yours.

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hi, Luis Alfonso,

SAI 207 and SAI 403 were produced recently by RS in 1/72. It should not be very difficult to get it. For instance in one internet megastore I 've just found one of each still remaining available for about 15 pound each (inc. VAT)...

Cheers

J-W

26 minutes ago, JWM said:

Hi, Luis Alfonso,

SAI 207 and SAI 403 were produced recently by RS in 1/72. It should not be very difficult to get it. For instance in one internet megastore I 've just found one of each still remaining available for about 15 pound each (inc. VAT)...

Cheers

J-W

Hi Jerzy!!!

Have seen something about this RS kit here http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/reviews/kits/rs92036reviewpm_1.htm

Will look in this side of the pond and hope to get one for me as this aircraft looks like a very short term project taken with discipline and encouragement. Also, seemed more a racer than a fighter and looks wonderful in that dress of Regia Aeronautica's Green and grey!!!

Thank you very much for your advice!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Also, seemed more a racer than a fighter and looks wonderful in that dress of Regia Aeronautica's Green and grey!!!

Indeed - it  came from SAI  Ambrosini 7 - a racer plane. Like Caudron 714 came from series of Caudron racers...

Have a fun building it!

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JWM said:

Indeed - it  came from SAI  Ambrosini 7 - a racer plane. Like Caudron 714 came from series of Caudron racers...

Have a fun building it!

Cheers

J-W

As soon as I get one, for sure will try to have as many as I can!!! :)

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 1