1/48 - Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-23BN "Flogger-H" by Trumpeter - released - nose correction set by Cold War Studio and from Ciro Models

Homebee

I knew you see it my way (if shapes are close, work the plastic). The canopy is also available from Ciro Models. My concern is modifying the windscreen, if needed. $15 for the earlier MiG-23 kits is a deal! Another concern are the larger nose wheels (if noticeable at this scale) and the nose gear bay doors (blisters are far too small and not properly represented on the inner side).

Regards,

I was going to order two of the complete correction kits but they charge double to sell out of the Czech republic. What should have been $24 in the standard concurrency conversion wound up being $44. I guess we pay a premium for living in the US. I will just wait til Zvezda comes out with one. At this rate the kit would cost about $75 to build. I will just wait.

I guess we pay a premium for living in the US.

No. You're just on one side of the wall, Europeans are on the other. Shipping costs when buying from Ebay US or Amazon.com from Europe sound like a joke but they aren't

No. You're just on one side of the wall, Europeans are on the other. Shipping costs when buying from Ebay US or Amazon.com from Europe sound like a joke but they aren't

Agree

.especially when you get the package (late) and often discover the actual postage is a fraction of what is actually charged for 'Shipping'
..must have high charges for 'packing materials' and labour over there. I used to buy a lot of my hobby goods from the USA but not anymore

shipping charges make everything (including envelope items like decals) cost prohibitive.

• Like 1

That is not what happened. The cost of the kit is 250 Crowns including VAT. x2 is 500 Crowns, including VAT. The exchange rate is 25.5 Crowns/$ that makes the complete cost under $20 The shipping Charges were listed as 100 Crowns. When I went to check out the total charged came to Royal Pounds and it was 35 Pounds That makes it $52. And also it makes it Highway Robbery. Eduard performs the EXACT same thing for purchases in the US. This is why it is impossible to buy anything such as overtrees from them . The best thing is to find a friend in the Czech republic to make the purchases for you. I buy from dealers in the Czech republic all the time and the prices are very reasonable except from Eduard and now Cero. Eduard has an arrangement with Squadron (MMD) which is actually illegal by US law. Not sure if Cero made the same arrangement. I did notice that Hannants in the UK has stopped crying most of their items. I can buy Eduard items from Czech retailers for less than half the price. You will finf the EXACT same thing with the Eduard site. If I do not log in and try to make a purchase it comes out as one price. As soon as it shows that it is going to the US the price doubles. I have had many discussions with people on these modeling sites from Europe about this. The Europeans see one price but US customers see another price.

Edited by Otakar

OK I figured out how to get past the double cost but not how to get the VAT subtracted. I just chose to pay in Ero and it converts to a much lower price. About 20% less. Because I already have the older MiG-23 kits which I bought for a decant price I bought 4 canopies and two of the exhaust stacks. I can fix the intakes myself quite easily.

Edited by Otakar
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I can fix the intakes myself quite easily.

I am sure you could also fix the lower airbrakes very easily. Glue shut. Use stretched sprue tree to fill the side which is too long, sand, polish, scribe in the correct outline and done!

Regards,

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Chinese must have problems with fuselage noses... between Kinetic, Hobbyboss and Trumpeter..as far as I know they sc!#&ed up the F-84f, the mig 17pf, the mig 19pfu, the mig 23bn the F-100c/d,the su-15 flagon f...the beat goes on....

Edited by Mike Esposito
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Source: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=290991&view=findpost&p=2781368

Hi! As mentioned in one other thread on this forum I have started preparing some corrections for the MiG-23 family in 1/48 scale. The first and most needed one is the MiG-23 BN nose which will be followed by a MiG-23 ML/MLD nose. This is the first picture of the current work with the general shape. More and better pictures during the weekend. As you see there is a lot of work to be done nut it already is miles ahead of the Trumpeter offering.

MiG-23%20BN_zpsedrhodqf.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

lets hope for the CWS nose very soon!

just for comparison, here you have a vey nice build of a MiG-23BN (the first completed one I 've seen I think) where you can see the trumpeter "nose style very" well.

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/8-flugzeuge-modern/12563-mig-23bn-flogger-h-trumpeter.html

! It looks even worse when built :-D

yeah..... what I thought exactly!

the conversion set will be an absolute must... when it is out i will make up my mind on purchasing a MiG-23BN/-27 type...

lets hope for the CWS nose very soon!

just for comparison, here you have a vey nice build of a MiG-23BN (the first completed one I 've seen I think) where you can see the trumpeter "nose style very" well.

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/8-flugzeuge-modern/12563-mig-23bn-flogger-h-trumpeter.html

That looks nothing like a BN. The conversion will be required. The conversion looks very nice but the main canopy still looks like it might have to be brought "UP" a bit in the front to make the lower section parallel with the centerline of the fuselage. Otherwise it looks very nice.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What will be the cost of this conversion? It looks quite good. Not perfect but immeasurably better than the Trumpeter nose. Once the panel lines are toned down it will definitely be a requirement for any proper build. What I like is the fact that it is a complete nose and I can use it with any Trumpeter MiG-23 and do not have to spend the much higher price for the BN version from them. I have three of the M/MF versions already which I spent $27/ea for and one of those will do just fine. The irony of this aircraft is that it might have made a marginally decent ground support aircraft but would have had it's A$$ handed to it in any kind of dogfight against against a western fighter of the era. So the BN version is a much better representation of a "nice" aircraft. 

Here is a piece of trivia and a challenge for anyone who wants to accept it. Try to find a picture or video of ANY of these MiG-23/27 aircraft in flight with its wings in full sweep. On the ground you will almost always see it in that aspect but I have yet to see it in the air in that configuration. I bet that even at full Mach the wing on these aircraft could not be swept full back without holding some UP-elevon into it. Meaning that it now can't achieve full mach. I would venture to bet that once the wing is swept full back the airframe became way too nose heavy. Unlike any of the British or US aircraft which could do it at almost all but landing speeds. This aircraft is definitely "cool" looking but functionally a led-sled.

3 hours ago, Otakar said:

... and do not have to spend the much higher price for the BN version from them. I have three of the M/MF versions already which I spent $27/ea for and one of those will do just fine.

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Flogger/24912.html

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat.php?id=1407&cid=88&min=0&orderby=dateA&show=12

Nozzle is different.