What on Earth is Procopius building these days? -OR- I am Curious (Beaufighter)

Procopius

Hindsight! Forget which comedian it was who commented "We all know that a British accent reading the phone book sounds better than an American accent reading the Gettysburg Address."

It's true! I also love the Eddie Izzard -- while we're bringing up crossdressing comedians -- bit on the difference in roles between British and French actors in Hollywood: Britons always diabolical villains or masterminds, Frenchmen always canny seducers.

Must admit I felt raped. Was watching Rick Steves "Europe through the back door" and got carried away and felt the need to donate.

The title of the program was clearly a dire warning which went unheeded.

Rick Steve has a helluva racket, though; I've seen his program every now and then, and it struck me as amazing that a man capable of such placid banalities could (1) have a nationally syndicated TV show, and (2) be paid to do what I would gladly pay to do. So there may be an element of jealousy in my dislike of him.

Oh, and re the Beaufighter, I missed the part you are doing with the canopy, and painting it from inside. I am coming around to the dark side and building some military planes, but those canopies with innumerable little panes seem impossible to do correctly.

Given how your airliners look, I can't imagine a military plane could give you much trouble. I usually just cheat and use the Eduard masks; I've only masked probably three or four canopies "by hand" as it were, ever. I really find this stupid Amodel Jetstream 31 in 1/72 calling to me, speaking of crossing benches.

My sister's here, off to watch a terrible basic cable show with her now.

Gear supports in! These were a tight fit for me, and needed a little sanding. But they're in. Painting the camera and an errant aerial now, and then...gosh. Still not sure on weathering. I'm thinking a semi-gloss or satin coat will be the final clearcoat; it's noted as satin on top and gloss on the bottom in the decal instructions.

How was the terrible basic cable show? I suppose it wasn't a documentary on Beaufighters. No, it was probably a documentary on zombies.

Happily not, I don't really do the modern zombie craze, only Italian movies from the 1970s-1980s for me. No, it's a show called The Librarians on TNT; my sister KR is a technology librarian -- newly minted; she's had her degree for a few years, but worked as a feature writer at a society magazine until a library position opened up. We both agree that one of the actors on the show looks like the late David Foster Wallace, which pleases us.

Here is KR with Madeleine:

1965016_862245170466963_6267006149769608

I hear tell there is a model build on here somewhere?

Pretenders. Now we're talking. Chrissie....

Flanders & Swan. Go to you tube & look up

Armstrong & Miller. Besides the RAF pilots,

who are achingly funny, look for piano or

Brabbins & Fyffe. It's F & S brought up to date.

Oh, Weathering. I'd go for pale grey/white off the exhausts.

A bit of grubbiness on the cowlings, and that's about it.

The Beau is coming along just nicely.

Well done indeed so far and looking forward to the rest of the build.

Loving the interspersed music bits and pieces but for the life of me the big hair, spandex, over the top, rock bands out of the US gave me the heebie-jeebies.

Did like the Pretenders posts...Back on the Chain Gang great english guitar melodic pop (in the right sense) and Brass in Pocket from the same was a big hit Down Under.

For the record I was lucky enough to play the Big Day Out Festival in Australia in Adelaide 1994 with such bands as Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins,The Ramones, Bjork, The Breeders, Teenage Fanclub, The Mark of Cain, Straitjacket Fits, The Cruel Sea.

Opened the Atrium Stage and swapped beers with Bjork......great memories.

Lots of bands in Australia but for me bands like Sunnyboys, The Saints, Ed Kuepper (in general), The Church, The Church, The Church, Powderfinger, Cold Chisel (well Don Walker), Flowers, INXS (Early) and especially Died Pretty (Doughboy Hollow album 1991 is a stand out and one of my all time favourite albums) were some of the artists I looked to and enjoyed either seeing or playing with or listening to.

Caught Nirvana with Kurt at the Thebarton Theatre in Adelaide and supported The Stone Roses on their tour at the same venue.

Lots of great memories.

Started playing music many years after I started making models.......but luckily I'm still doing both :winkgrin:

Chocks Away!

• Like 3

I hear tell there is a model build on here somewhere?

You might suggest that, I couldn't possibly comment.

Go ro you tube & look up

Armstrong & Miller. Besides the RAF pilots,

who are achingly funny, look for piano or

Brabbins & Fyffe. It's F & S brought up to date.

Do they do the chav RAF pilots?...googlegooglegoogle...they do!

Oh, Weathering. I'd go for pale grey/white off the exhausts.

A bit of grubbiness on the cowlings, and that's about it.

Yes, I'm thinking along much the same lines. Not sure if I should try using my new charcoals, or what, and if I should apply after or before the satin coat. Alternately, I could risk it and break out the "good" airbrush, lay down a line of white, and then another of grey, I'd imagine. The potential for disaster seems high, though.

Loving the interspersed music bits and pieces but for the life of me the big hair, spandex, over the top, rock bands out of the US gave me the heebie-jeebies.

In fairness, Europe is Swedish, but yes, I'm with you on that.

For the record I was lucky enough to play the Big Day Out Festival in Australia in Adelaide 1994 with such bands as Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins,The Ramones, Bjork, The Breeders, Teenage Fanclub, The Mark of Cain, Straitjacket Fits, The Cruel Sea.

The Breeders! I love Kim Deal. It's hardly The Pixies without her. The Ramones were my first "real" taste of rock/punk music, and a pretty heady brew they were for me, as for many a great-in-his-own-mind teenaged boy. I still have a massive soft spot for them (probably near the top of my head).

Degrees of separation: Billy Corgan owns a tea shop a few miles from my house.

Who did you play with/as, if it isn't rude of me to inquire?

Also, I'm very surprised Bjork drinks beer, I would have figured she daintily sipped ambrosia from an elaborate cordial bottle.

It doesn't look it, but it's very cold in Chicago right now, -18 C and very damp. Here we can see Chicago landmarks the Marina towers and the mighty, priapic eyesore of the Trump Tower:

10906280_911671615524318_114722622563496

• Like 4

And in between the two I spy The Langham - where the Fritags put down (very) temporary roots back in November........When it was also bl**min cold.....

Then you really were perilously close to me, as my office is next door to the Westin building, just out of frame to the left.

Well, back to work today, after being off for the last twelve days. I haven't even left and I'm already sick of it.

I hear you brother! Just had our traditional 12th night meal and 'wassailed' our apple tree. Nothing like a good mix of Christian and pagan traditions to round off Christmas after my first day back. The propect of going back to reality tomorrow emphatically does not appeal. Still, Airfix have new BoB spitfires and hurricanes in 48th scale coming up shortly...there are compensations, I suppose. Paul Edited by PaulR
  • Like 1

Hey, it was 8C here at five this morning

as I set off for work. Had to wear a jacket

as I walked to the car!

Boy,you've got it rough,you walked to the car? 10p a gallon and you walked?

• Like 2

Okay, almost done:

10891694_912015872156559_459090417430177

I should probably satin coat it. And then, I don't think it would hurt...to unmask the canopies...

10429404_912015715489908_350622944379667

10537788_912015758823237_850571791764768

Okay, I think it's done.

10891556_912015782156568_657482308471532

Wait! The hedgehogs! How could I forget those?

And the wingtip lights! Jimeny christmas, Edward!

10868079_912017448823068_207218425215873

Okay. Okay. Okay.

Whew! What a wild ride.

• Like 8

So I guess this is kind of coming to a close here. I'll wrap up with what is in fact Mrs. P and my's song, the best sort of Bob Dylan song, one which he is not himself singing.

If you like Bob Dylan, that's fine, I respect your opinion, but the sound of his voice has a Manchurian Candidate-esque effect on me: I would stop at nothing to make it stop.

• Like 5

If you like Bob Dylan, that's fine, I respect your opinion, but the sound of his voice has a Manchurian Candidate-esque effect on me: I would stop at nothing to make it stop.

Curb your tongue, knave!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

That was a cracking build thread from start to finish PC, and the end result is a lovely Beau (even if it is not my favoured variant - there can be only Mk.I!)

I do hope you will either start another or continue this thread ad infinitum with each new build.

Very happy new year to you and Mel :bye:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

The Breeders! I love Kim Deal. It's hardly The Pixies without her. The Ramones were my first "real" taste of rock/punk music, and a pretty heady brew they were for me, as for many a great-in-his-own-mind teenaged boy. I still have a massive soft spot for them (probably near the top of my head).

Degrees of separation: Billy Corgan owns a tea shop a few miles from my house.

Who did you play with/as, if it isn't rude of me to inquire?

Also, I'm very surprised Bjork drinks beer, I would have figured she daintily sipped ambrosia from an elaborate cordial bottle.

Despite being dangerously off topic here's a montage!

10372588_386942484800882_405859338701891

The first snap taken by me behind the drums is the very humble but very excited power pop indie guitar band "Colourwheel" opening the Atrium Stage at the 1994 Big Day Out in Adelaide, second snap is the mighty Breeders from side of stage while performing and the last snap is the wonderful Kim Deal coming offstage at the end of the Breeders set.

Hope you enjoyed those shots ...I know I did!

For the record the Pixies are one of my favourite American bands and I saw them a few years ago (again at the Thebarton Theatre "Thebby" ) for the 20th anniversary tour of the release of the Doolittle album which still stands as one of my favourite albums.

Now I sat and glued some plastic with Billy Corgan...and had a cup of tea......but that's another story :winkgrin::coolio:

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 3

I always knew you had sound judgement; couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

Things have changed. The only one of his that I like.

And things have changed on here too (see what I did there?)

No more PC Boof build.

Now what do I do with my afternoons?

I shall complain to the management!

Where's Mike when you need him?

Oh, Yeah, Great build. Gotta love a Beau!

Stay warm!