What on Earth is Procopius building these days? -OR- I am Curious (Beaufighter)

Procopius

What am I getting up to? Okay, I realize you don't care, but a strange impulse compels to me want to write every now and then (not only am I a failed graduate student, I'm also a failed writer*), and also I have a bizarre urge to complete as many builds as possible each year. I reckon my fear of failure** will impel me to keep on building and babbling. But possibly not! I'm inconsistent and unreliable, that's part of my charm.

Blah blah blah. I'm wrapping up work on the AZ Spitfire IX Joypack; I decided to do all three at once, because otherwise I would have only built three Spitfires this year, and it's actually worse than that, because one of them is a Seafire 47, so really only two. As that would have meant I built more Mustangs (two Commonwealth P-51Ds, one Mustang IV) and Meteors (an NF.13, an F.4, and two RAAF F.8s, plus a Meteor III ruined by a disastrous superglue/noseweight accident) than Spitfires this year, radical corrective action was required. It turned out to be a good idea, because my initial positive impressions aside, if I'd only built one, I'd be unlikely to return to build the other two without a lengthy refractory period. From simply stupid engineering choices (there's not really a good time or way to put in the exhaust stacks -- if I had to do it again I'd put a strip of plasticard on the inside of the housing for them to rest against and sand down the edges of the little flat piece of plastic all the exhausts come out of so I could add it later easily), to the continuing frustration of attempting to get the right sit with limited run kit landing gear (Airfix has hit upon a genius solution, with square pegs; you have to work VERY hard to put their gear on wrong), and just the constant stupidities that can derail any build -- I knocked over my only bottle of flat clear; the flat coat went cloudy on one model and one model only, though all were sprayed at the same time; I've dropped everything I've picked up: a near complete Spit, wetted decals, very small parts, a can of cola, glue, etc -- I think I'm ready for the projected Eduard 1/72 kit for 2015. I plan on buying at least ten of any double boxing they make, and I rarely buy more than two of any kit: I am dead freaking [stronger language available] serious about Spitfire IXs. They are the most beautiful anything ever to have existed, and the fact that they came into being expressly to kill the hated (by me, intensely) Focke-Wulf 190 just makes it all the sweeter.

So here's one of the Spitfires earlier:

10425854_906694622688684_321254150063573

This is an LF.IXe of 318 (Polish) Squadron in Italy in 1945. Not visible here is the hideous gap between spinner cone and backplate, which I did not mention earlier but which is arguably the kit's worst and most annoying flaw. Suggested workaround is to only build black-nosed Spitfires of 2TAF, so you can glue it all up before painting and sand at your leisure.

Here's a group shot around 2 PM Sunday:

10881585_906694589355354_580364087381111

Yes, my workbench is super messy. In the foreground is a Spitfire IXb using markings from the Print Scale "Presentation Spitfires" set, which was kindly sent to me last Christmas by Ed Russell, of I believe Red Roo. The decals are not as terrible as some of the stories about Print Scale might have lead me to believe, but I should not have flat coated them today, (I applied them this morning), rather letting micro-sol and -set work their dark magics on them overnight. Past Me often screws himself in service of creating a sadder but wiser future me. In any case, this is "ZD-B/Turf Club I" of 222 (Natal) Squadron, and the last Spitfire is now done up using Southern Expo decals as MH434 when she, by curious coincidence, was also ZD-B in 222 Squadron, a year later. I built a Fw190 likely shot down by MH434 earlier in the year, so that's my first dogfight double, as well.

Edward. These are not the Beaufighter. You have lied. You are a liar.

I am not a liar -- unless it's convenient and easier to do so -- and I'm getting to the Beaufighter. I'm going to build this boxing: https://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=122025A good old fashioned Beaufighter X. But I have a thing, I prefer to build aircraft that saw combat, or could potentially see combat (like RAFG), and the cool thimble-nosed decal option is for a postwar aircraft, as its underwing serials clearly indicated. Freightdog to the rescue! Their "Brits Abroad, Part II" sheet has decals for a thimlbe-nosed TF.X in 1949 during Operation FIREDOG in what was then Malaya. As the Malayan Emergency is another area of interest for me, this rings three bells: thimble-nose, aircraft on active service, and weird little 20th century war. FIREDOG is especially interesting to me, because it's basically what the RAF was doing instead of fighting it out with MiGs above Korea, and lucky for the RAF, too, given that the Meteor and the Vampire were its frontline fighters at the time. In any case, that's what I'll be building. The Spitfires are almost totally done -- I have to swear a lot and cram in their exhaust stacks tomorrow morning -- and then I can tidy up and start on the Beauf. The plastic has already been washed. God willing, I might manage to finish it before the new year, wouldn't that be something?

I now leave you with a song whose title describes me at least thirty percent of the time; you may not like it so much as I do, but it does have Karen "Doctor Who" Gillan and Paul Rubens of Pee-Wee Herman fame in it, too. Karen Gillan does nothing for me, I have my own, far superior redhead. But I like the song.

*Some might say frustrated writer, but frustration would imply I've not accepted that my destiny is to do none of the things I dreamed of in childhood. I'm not that naive.

**Having sampled it at length, I don't much care for it.

• Like 20

Not so sure about the 'failed writer' bit as I think you may have just found your genre. That is as amusing and informative an introduction to a WIP as I've read, you have me hooked already. I look forward to the next instalment of Beau(fighter) Jest (sic).

I like the look of those Spitfires, they would look great on the receiving end of my Jagdwaffe collection :)

Duncan B

I wonder if there didn't oughta be a gathering together somewhere of the collected wit and wisdom of procopius (our BM version)?

Not sure we are ad idem on Karen Gillan - but I forgive you as one's head must of course be turned by having one's own superior red head.

• Like 4

It would make for a very tasty tome. Sort of like a build review of a 1/72 Spitfire (IX of course) written by GK Chesterton. Fortunately you have the latter's literary wit and wisdom, and not his physiology (beer and pizzas permitting) :)

Looking forward to the build.

• Like 1

Far superior to Karen Gillan... you sir, are a lucky, lucky man. (I haven't watched Dr Who since they canned it first time around, but now that I have seen Ms G, I may have to catch up on some of the newer seasons. ;) )

Oh, and the plastic has been assembled well. :D

Okay, Spitfires done. Here's the glamour shot: 2014, all on one kitchen table! Yes, the kitchen is a hole. We want to fix it in 2015, we did the rest of the ground floor this year.

10888505_907540892604057_630015756512686

Not so sure about the 'failed writer' bit as I think you may have just found your genre. That is as amusing and informative an introduction to a WIP as I've read, you have me hooked already. I look forward to the next instalment of Beau(fighter) Jest (sic).

You have no idea how upset I am that I didn't think of "Beau Jest" myself. This is exactly what I'm talking about!

I wonder if there didn't oughta be a gathering together somewhere of the collected wit and wisdom of procopius (our BM version)?

Not sure we are ad idem on Karen Gillan - but I forgive you as one's head must of course be turned by having one's own superior red head.

If it were wisdom alone, it'd be a very short book. More of a broadside, really. However, my life from 15-27 is a pretty good example of what not to do.

As for Mme. Gillan, well, I freely admit to bias, and quite aside from that, I feel it's one of the three duties of a married man, to wit:

1. He must eat at least one helping of everything his wife cooks. (Corollary: he must not compare it to anything his mother cooks. And the ultimate Freudian slip: I typed "wife" for mother first go-round.)

2. He must be convinced that no woman is more aggravating than her, but also that he is so inured to her many faults that he's now temperamentally unsuited for life with anyone else.

3. He must proclaim her beauty far and wide, even if she's a bit bog-eyed.

Here she is during her short hair phase, torturing a small bird. You may all tell me how lovely she is, how unsurpassed her beauty is, how many tens of thousands of ships her face could launch, etc.:

1238827_668273389864143_2012532369_n.jpg

It would make for a very tasty tome. Sort of like a build review of a 1/72 Spitfire (IX of course) written by GK Chesterton. Fortunately you have the latter's literary wit and wisdom, and not his physiology (beer and pizzas permitting) :)

Looking forward to the build.

I quite liked -- though may not have understood -- The Man Who Was Thursday when I read it as an Impressionable Youth; of course, I like to think of myself as Auberon Waugh-esque, but of course, everyone thinks they're Tim (or Jim, in the USA) at work, and not Gareth (or Dwight), too.

I also run when possible, to stave off the pizzageddon. And now a confession: I don't actually much care for beer. I know this is unmanly. However, if rye whiskey (apparently almost entirely a US drink) and ginger ale were good enough for that most British of quintessentially American authors, Raymond Chandler* (my hero), it's good enough for me.

Far superior to Karen Gillan... you sir, are a lucky, lucky man. (I haven't watched Dr Who since they canned it first time around, but now that I have seen Ms G, I may have to catch up on some of the newer seasons. ;) )

Speaking as someone whose first exposure to Who was as a seven-year-old in the USA in 1990 who found his parents old paperback novels of Tom Baker-era episodes (and a side note: the 1970s and 1980s were the greatest decades on earth for trash fiction and trash movies, two of my great loves -- I am reminded of this because there were excerpts from the Remo Williams AKA The Destroyer novels in the backs of the Dr. Who paperbacks -- blew my young mind) -- speaking as this person, who grew up watching recordings of old Who from when it was shown on PBS and set the hearts of our nation's weird nerds aflame, I can't recommend nu-Who; they have replaced cheesy effects with cheesy dialogue and plotting.

Next post: actual photos of the Beauf (bourguignon)!

* As you all know, Chandler attended Dulwich College, served in the Canadian Army, and had volunteered for the RAF at the close of WWI. I think his essay "The Simple Art of Murder" is one of the greatest ever written on the subject of detective fiction.

• Like 3

Nice spits, and remember: everyone is good at something. What you mentioned about unfulfilled childhood dreams resonated with me, and real live redheads are much better than tv redheads by far. About destiny, there exists in my experience a boomerang effect. At least that is what my dentist told me.

• Like 1

Ah, Procopious is building British aircraft and writing about it, all is good in the world again :D

Damned fine collection for the year by the way. Not that I'm biased by the fact that most of them appeal to my particular tastes or anything you understand ;)

I like the look of those Spitfires, they would look great on the receiving end of my Jagdwaffe collection :)

Erm, Duncan, you do know they lost, right?

• Like 2

That is quite an impressive angle you have in the "Glamour Shot". Were you hanging from the chandelier or merely loitering on top of a kitchen cabinet?

Having a good read - keep this going. ( See, we do care )

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

This thread has existed for 13 hours and I just now discovered it. Well that was 13 hours wasted.

As Col. said, all is now right with the world.

That's a fantastic 2014 collection PC - the Phantom is still my favorite, and shouldn't the FW 190 be on fire?

• Like 1

Nice spits, and remember: everyone is good at something. What you mentioned about unfulfilled childhood dreams resonated with me, and real live redheads are much better than tv redheads by far. About destiny, there exists in my experience a boomerang effect. At least that is what my dentist told me.

You clearly have a very philosophical dentist; mine is Chinese but hails from Singapore, which lead to an awkward conversation when he noted that I was reading a book on the Malayan Emergency (of which there are precious few, and even fewer on the Confrontation with Indonesia; I should like to build some AURI aircraft in 2015).

Childhood dreams are a funny thing. According to my parents I wanted to be an astronaut until I saw the Challenger explode on live TV -- one of my earliest memories is seeing the ship suddenly turn into a crooked column of smoke -- but that's too distant to really trouble me. More recent ones still rankle a little, of course; I had dreamed of becoming a student in the UK, and thereby becoming a subject of HRH, eventually, and that one I do wish had come to pass. But of course on that front, while there's life there's hope, (though Mrs. P shows no enthusiasm for such a project, her Montessori accreditation means she could easily find work in the UK, were it not for the fact that even the accents on Life on Mars are beyond her ability to extract meaning from) and in the event of my premature demise (killed, for instance, by one of the careless cyclists or cabbies who careen through Chicago, the city won't be safe, to paraphrase Diderot, until the last cyclist is strangled with the guts of the last cabby), Mrs. P has been instructed to scatter my ashes off the White Cliffs. She threatens to just carry them around with her to annoy people, though.

Damned fine collection for the year by the way. Not that I'm biased by the fact that most of them appeal to my particular tastes or anything you understand ;)

It's not easy going through life as a man of discernment in the modern era, but I think we bear our shared burden well.

Erm, Duncan, you do know they lost, right?

And how! My hopeful next project is the Airfix Lancaster I/III, having just secured decals for the shark-mouthed Canadian one.

That is quite an impressive angle you have in the "Glamour Shot". Were you hanging from the chandelier or merely loitering on top of a kitchen cabinet?

Having a good read - keep this going. ( See, we do care )

Cheers,

Mike

I stood atop a chair and leaned over, tempting fate mightily. And, like the narrator of Bartleby the Scrivener, I am not insensible to your good opinions.

Cookie - the Fw190 is on fire -- in my heart.

Anyway, as promised! LE BOOF:

10419058_907587255932754_301603136598300

The fit so far is amazing, the engineering is beautiful. But we've yet to run up against the Hasegawa mania for making ten men from the same set of bones, so trouble may yet arise. But so far, my feeling is that Airfix will have to work hard to better this one.

The wings:

10690057_907587445932735_902058217802524

But wait, what's this...?

10676269_907587372599409_272114302642205

GOD D--

10897096_907587312599415_224758013764470

Sigh. Edward's luck.

Also, special bonus colour section: the stash!

10846049_907587672599379_693608587820525

10406645_907587599266053_128764684609345

1958124_907587519266061_3476864941241289

Mrs. P -- Melanie, I might as well use her name -- recently (correctly) calculated that I had about ten years worth of models in my filthy grotto. That was a very awkward conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8AisTXgAGA

• Like 9

Legacy collections are the best kind. Not bragging or anything here, but I built 2 kits this year. I bought somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 (this year), with 300+ in the stash. It looks like you've got some Hunters. Your Tornado to Phantom ratio is correct.

Is that displacabinetorium from Ikea? Looks to me like a novel solution for my smaller kits. Filth Grotto would be an apt moniker for my little corner of the basement.

That glue spot on your Beau should sand out given time to cure. I am guilty of ruining far more valuable/complete items so don't be too hard on yourself.

• Like 1

More recent ones still rankle a little, of course; I had dreamed of becoming a student in the UK, and thereby becoming a subject of HRH, eventually, and that one I do wish had come to pass.

We had a delightful episode here in California, gosh, about twenty five years ago now. An elderly lady, whose husband had passed away, decided she would return to her native England and live out her days among relatives. A small issue reared its' ugly head. In all her years over here, she had become a U.S. citizen, so could not just hop on a plane and move to England. Eventually, even Her Majesty got involved, and something to do with The Birthday Honours List, restored her British citizenship, so she could move home. End of the story you ask? Not so.

Interviewed six months later in her new California home she said " I just forgot how chilly and damp it is over there".

Re your stash - that is not even the work of one weekend - not a hint of an airliner to be seen.

Cheers,

MIke

• Like 3

Pah! You call that bench untidy? I cock a snook at your "untidy" workspace. Next time you're in my neck of the woods, pop in and I'll show you how to do an untidy workspace properly. :bleh:

Thoroughly entertaining read so far young Procopius, please continue. ^_^

Progress! I am using one of the two ancient bottles of Pollyscale RAF Interior Green that I obtained from ebay a while back. Pollyscale made, of course, the most wonderful, most incredibly formulated acrylics in America -- but only after they were destroyed by Testors/Modelmasters; until then, they made awful, shoddy paint that nobody liked. In any case, this being used after their irreversible destruction, the paint performed beautifully. I know there are sink marks. You cannot see them when the fuselage is closed up, and nobody will know if you keep your yap shut about it.

10885439_907617962596350_375334282988970

Legacy collections are the best kind. Not bragging or anything here, but I built 2 kits this year. I bought somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 (this year), with 300+ in the stash. It looks like you've got some Hunters. Your Tornado to Phantom ratio is correct.

It's actually even more skewed. I have a Tornado F.3 also, but also three more Phantom FG.1s!

As for Hunters, I keep meaning to build some of those. At least two 74 Squadron ones. Cannot believe nobody's made decals for the 112 Squadron ones, they're throwing away money. I love sharkmouths.

Is that displacabinetorium from Ikea? Looks to me like a novel solution for my smaller kits. Filth Grotto would be an apt moniker for my little corner of the basement.

I think so. I inherited it from an uncle when my wife and I were first married and she was attending graduate school in another state; I made only about two-thirds of my current salary then, and she obviously earned nothing, so I lived with her parents and with her horrible, terrible birds, who would crash into my models and wreck them. With the shelf, they instead crashed into the closed glass doors. Very satisfying.

Interviewed six months later in her new California home she said " I just forgot how chilly and damp it is over there".

Oof. Fortunately it's chilly (and then some) and damp over here, as well. In fact, Illinois is unfit for human habitation. We have three good months a year, if that.

Re your stash - that is not even the work of one weekend - not a hint of an airliner to be seen.

Several factors have kept me from building airliners:

1. Wrong scale, mostly. I only do 1/72, or rarely, 1/144 for my wife, who cares nothing for planes -- she is a cheerful philistine -- but who loves tiny things.

2. Airliners, like NMF aircraft, seem to require more care to get right, as they're so smooth.

3. Decals and careful decal placement -- one of my many Achilles' heels -- if Achilles were say, a centipede -- are very important to airliners.

4. No guns.

That said, I've long considered trying to buy and build the 1/72 Concorde. It's often been said it can't be built, but I think what most people mean is that it can't be built well, and that's never stopped me before. And I do love the weird postwar British passenger carriers. We have some photos of my late great-uncle, a travel agent, debarking from a Vickers Viscount in some third-world hellhole in the 1970s that look very cool. There's a beautiful sadness to those old British airliners, to my mind, the sense of a world passing and becoming incomprehensible.

Pah! You call that bench untidy? I cock a snook at your "untidy" workspace. Next time you're in my neck of the woods, pop in and I'll show you how to do an untidy workspace properly. :bleh:

Thoroughly entertaining read so far young Procopius, please continue. ^_^

Ah, well, you can't see all the garbage that missed the can and which sits on the floor...

In other news, we're waiting to see if Melanie is pregnant this week; if so, her due date would be such as to derail my trip to the UK for the 75th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. On the plus side, if that does come to pass, I will need little help in playing the role of a stern, distant disciplinarian for the next twenty or so years.

• Like 8

I have given myself permission to purchase more models after seeing that stash. Of course, my build rate is less than half of yours, so nevermind.

The Long Winters! I've seen them play in Seattle, and I think they have some sort of Alaska connection too (I grew up in AK).

The interior green does certainly look the part, and don't worry about the glue spot.

Congrats to you and the lovely Mrs. PC if it turns out to be the case.

• Like 1

My sister has become a US citizen so may well face the humiliation of being denied the right to return to the land of her birth some day!

Did someone mention Life On Mars? I do hope it was the original BBC version and not the nonsensical and inferior US version. How can Cops carrying guns and shooting gangsters be anything other than the norm in 1970's US?

A TFX in that grey over black scheme is going to look sweet.

Duncan B

• Like 2

Love your collection in the kitchen,love your stuff in cabinets and stash............. I'd get a joint of frozen beef or a bag of spuds dropped on them if I left mine behind enemy lines. Come to think of it,we haven't got a kitchen table, we must have had a break in or I'm underprivileged and in need of help from a charity or failing that Oxfam,Band Aid,Snow Leapard and Donkey world.

Is that wood grain correct for a kitchen table? I prefer Beech but the sand gets everywhere.

• Like 1

But, unless my eyes deceive me, the Stash contains a Tarpon. Hoorah!

Yes, and my most prized kit, an MPM 1/72 Albacore, which took some finding. As I've mentioned at length at the slightest provocation elsewhere, my interest in the Indian Ocean Raid drove me here to this site originally (I have hundred of pages of photocopies from the ADM, AIR, and CAB sections of the National Archives on it, including some "Y" Service reports that I don't believe any published writer has covered at any length in their examination of the raid. But I could be wrong. In any case, when DP Caspar did a Forgotten Operations sheet on IRONCLAD, I had to have it, since many of the aircraft on it were with the Eastern Fleet during the raid.)

I have given myself permission to purchase more models after seeing that stash. Of course, my build rate is less than half of yours, so nevermind.

But arguably better quality!

The Long Winters! I've seen them play in Seattle, and I think they have some sort of Alaska connection too (I grew up in AK).

I'm incredibly jealous!

My sister has become a US citizen so may well face the humiliation of being denied the right to return to the land of her birth some day!

It's always weird for me to read something like that; here, almost nobody emigrates, unless it's to Canada or New Zealand, (or, uh, Russia, I guess) there to become absolutely insufferable, the inescapable fate of all American expatriates. I am already insufferable, so I have nothing to fear. But emigration here is a radical, almost unreal act. But there are two mutually opposed David Foster Wallace quotes that I love, and this is one of them:

“Are we not all of us fanatics? I say only what you of the U.S.A. pretend you do not know. Attachments are of great seriousness. Choose your attachments carefully. Choose your temple of fanaticism with great care. What you wish to sing of as tragic love is an attachment not carefully chosen. Die for one person? This is a craziness. Persons change, leave, die, become ill. They leave, lie, go mad, have sickness, betray you, die. Your nation outlives you. A cause outlives you.”

Did someone mention Life On Mars? I do hope it was the original BBC version and not the nonsensical and inferior US version. How can Cops carrying guns and shooting gangsters be anything other than the norm in 1970's US?

Oh, absolutely, rule #1 of American remakes is to only watch the original version.

Yes, armed American police shooting villains in the 1970s is novel only because they generally shot them fewer than fourteen times back then, having only revolvers.

A TFX in that grey over black scheme is going to look sweet.

Here's to hoping!

Is that wood grain correct for a kitchen table? I prefer Beech but the sand gets everywhere.

Oof.

That glue spot on your Beau should sand out given time to cure. I am guilty of ruining far more valuable/complete items so don't be too hard on yourself.

I forgot to mention -- my bete noir is Hasegawa Phantoms; I've ruined no less than three, and they're not cheap. One was thanks to a "helpful" hobbyshop employee who upsold me a big bottle of lacquer thinner instead of a small one of enamel thinner, for the purpose of making an enamel wash. He was a Bf 109 fan, so I should have known to be suspicious.

Oh right, le buff:

10885042_907634062594740_920087982737760

Also, I believe it's considered fashionable to display one's supper for the masses. Well, tremble, you hoi polloi! TREMBLE:

10357124_907636199261193_957680322776351

You even leave it in the pouch to cook it on the stovetop.

• Like 3

Ooh a food wip. There's no end to this. How do you get a whole Kangaroo in a Microwave?

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Procopius,,

All I did last night and all day yesterday was sing HAPPY IDIOT after I had read your thread and in doing so forgot to 'send 'MY reply... hence posting it now.. :fight::police:

:banghead::banghead::tomato:

anyhoo the models on display are EXCELLENT.. :gobsmacked::bling:

AS for the microwaveable Green Pea and Potato Curry..you should taste MY home made curries .. {real Indian style,,,LIKE ME } :evil_laugh::coolio:

• Like 6

Mild curry? Really? Tsk tsk.

I suppose you have to start somewhere.

Remo Williams? That takes me back.

Perhaps that explains why I like Robert B Parker.

Life on Mars. I thought you meant the Bowie song at first.

To de-clutter is to de-clumsy. I've found, anyway.

Ha, Duncan trying to curry (again) favour in post 18

after his initial remark from the safety of Norwegian waters!

Failed writer? Do shopping lists count?

Initial tests of the Beaufighter produced a report that read something like,

"Entry to this aircraft is difficult. It should be made impossible"

And yet those brave young men did so many brave things in the machine.

• Like 4