Airfix 4.5 litre Bentley

kpnuts

Hi all I am so cross(mostly with myself for not testing it first) I received some humbrol acrylic chrome in a spray can today, and, eager to try it out I did it straight on the bentley engine, it clearly says acrylic on the can, and I primed the engine with humbrol enamel so there should have been no problem, anyway I started spraying and thought this smells very much like celloluse paint.
6aEWubT.jpg
now that is exactly the effect I would expect spaying cellulose on enamel not when spraying acrylic.
so now its getting the oven cleaner treatment, so take this as a warning.smell your paint first.

Normally you can't spray acrylic or anything else over enamel.

Yes, chrome on the engine is wrong......

Use Halfords primer and Peugeot aluminium.

It looks like aluminium - I use it all the time on my big builds for ally parts.

I use Halfords rattle cans for almost everything in my kits and models now and if used over Halfords primers, they work brilliantly.

Hopefully after a primer coat your engine will look fine again.

Roy.

Thanks for all the replys I think I have managed to rescue it I've got some Uschi metal polishing powders and sprayed the engine matt black and used some of them will post pics later.

Looks nice, have you glued the exhaust manifold in place yet? It might not bother you but I'll point it out just in case, the manifold should be a browny black colour as they are made from cast iron on the full size cars.

Looking good, and the open fire, love it!!

Hi all not done much modeling last few days, just don't have the energy to get all the stuff out, but today I've ordered some rivets for the mudguards some acorn nuts for the engine and some braided hoses for the break pipes, hope I can get on top of this virus soon its really getting me down.

They don't have hydraulic brakes buddy, they use a system of rods and levers from a compensator shaft that is linked to the brake pedal. The compensator shaft runs across the chassis pretty much under the under the position of the front seats.

It's scary to think the first batch of Bentleys didn't even have front brakes.

Humbrol matt 100 then whilst still wet randomly dabbed on matt 33 then whilst both still wet loaded the brush with white spirit and dab on manifold letting the colours mix till I got the effect I wanted.

• Like 1

This brings back memories. I built the motorised version way back in 1971. Can't remember what happened to it, probably got crashed and smashed :(

There are images of the original instructions over at the Airfix Tribute Forum here

Cheers