P 51C

Right then chaps, my first RFI.

Accurate Miniatures P 51C in the colours of 311th Fighter Group based in China in 1944/45.

The model was built OTB but i did cut and lower the flaps and use Ultracast wheels and exhausts.

The model is a pretty pain free build. My only chritisisms would be the thick transparencies, the flaps being moulded in the up position and a bit of filling at the wing routes. I also filled the panel lines on the wings as per the real thing.

The NMF was achieved by priming with Tamiya light grey primer, some panels on the fuselage were then masked and painted gloss black. The wings were then masked and the fuselage painted using Alclad Aluminium, I then unmasked the wings and masked the fuselage and painted the wings with Duraluminium to try get the painted aluminium effect. The darker panel around the exhausts commonly seen on P 51s was painted using dark aluminium.

The national markings were painted using miracle masks, I didnt' get a great finish on these due to my own over excitement! Entirely my own fault. The spinner, tail and wing tips were painted using Tamiya XF 3 yellow mixed with some XF 4 yellow green to try to add some depth. I also tried some oil dot weathering on the wing tips with mixed results The anti glare panel on the nose was painted using Tamiya olive drad lightened and darkened again to add some depth.

For weathering I bought Mig Productions weathering set for NMF aircraft which performed well and then applied a random over spray of a very thin mix of Tamiya matt black and red brown. Some fuel mstains were added using AK Iteractive fuel stains mix. The whole model was then varnished with Vallejo matt varnish.

Pigments were used on the wheels and exhausts. Brass tubeing was used for the gun barrels.

I'm fairly pleased with how the model turned out, it was really a test bed for trying a whole load of new stuff.

Any comments and questions welcome.

James

image_zps7799c659.jpg

image_zpsd0375f1b.jpg

image_zps6793d8e3.jpg

image_zps3d0e092d.jpg

image_zps0bdb2825.jpg

image_zps6af2e30a.jpg

image_zps0c3d75a9.jpg

image_zps16c15df8.jpg

image_zps7799c659.jpg

image_zpsb6a173c7.jpg

And finally a shot with Accurate Miniatures P 51A built a few years ago.

• Like 18

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Modelling Minion I agree, it's good to see a mustang finished on something other than an ETO scheme. Having done a bit of research for this build I can voach that there are some very cool schemes for natural metal aircraft from the PTO and South East Asia.

James