Hasegawa F.6, done old school. 'Coz it's cool.

And because I've got (gulp) a week to get this built. So, it's going to be a Mach 1.5 (not Mach 2 because she's an old girl) race to the finish. It's also 34C here, and steamy, so there'll be no hanging about on the threshold while I wait for clearance.

Obligatory box and sprue shots, then full afterburner and a vertical climb...

Box etc.

16116509315_69bdd1f99e_z.jpg

Sprues.

15496811793_31084c4a7b_z.jpg

I'm probably going to run with the 11 Sqn variant, in gray and Nat metal. But we'll see what we see...

Rob.

• Like 5

First update - it's been a busy and rewarding afternoon. The first serious modelling I have done in quite a few years. And it's been a real retro trip - an old kit, basic tools and 80s internet radio :D Just like I'm a kid all over again. :weneedanappyemoticon:

My first task was to make sure the airbrakes were going to align, because that's a well known problem with most kits - to that end, a test fit revealed that a couple of bits of Evergreen were needed in the airbrake wells, to be used as spacers (visible in the photo). An initial test fit also showed that the airbrakes themselves are somewhat variably undersize, so some thin Evergreen was glued along the edges so as make them fit a little squarer into the wells. They're still not perfect, and if I was doing this seriously I'd make new ones, but ain't nobody got time fo' dat, as the cool kids say. The fuselage halves and airbrakes were put aside to cure, and I moved on to the wings.

Wings were very little problem - a quick run around the outside of the top to remove a bit of flash, and the same for the lower section, and they were glued together. Of course, it was only later, as I was test fitting them to the fuse halves that I realised I had forgotten to fill the pin marks inside the wheel wells... :dunce:

While the main components were drying, I made a start on the overwing tanks - I'm going to add them, I think, because they look so right on F.6s, as well as so wrong to the eye - stuff is supposed to hang under wings, innit? Again, a bit of flash removal, glue together, put aside.

Next task, make sure the fuselage halves aligned. Thankfully, a bit of a sanding to remove flash (see a pattern??) and all was ticketty-boo. One of the nicest fits I have ever seen on a kit. A bit of thought resulted in smoke from the ears, and also the adding of the cockpit floor to one half, as that's going to want to set up really well. Fuse halves were taped together while that dried, then I started on fettling the wing to make a good fit. A little bit of sanding and filing here and there and I called it close enough. I took the liberty of removing a small sliver from the inside end of the flaps, at the wing/fuse joint, to give a visual separation.

In between times, small components were removed from sprues and cleaned up, ditto the dried bits of glued stuff (apologies for the technical term, but this is serious stuff!).

Main bits, progress so far. Filler in the wings will be a PITA to remove, but oh well, and the added bits of styrene are visible in the airbrake wells.

[post='15495411724_e7a95a9e28_z.jpgHasegawa Lightning prep 1 by RobG67, on Flickr'][/post]

More tomorrow, I hope. :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

Hi Rob

Great stuff, I am apparently building the same kit, which strangely enough seems to have no flash problems, but has other issues like its incomplete no instruction or decals.......still mustn't grumble !

Are you sure about the temperature it's snowing here in Bonny Scotland, none of this toasty 34C nonsense please, I would have to pull the armchair right up to the fire to get anywhere near that !

Happy Christmas mate, good luck with the build.

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Hi Pat

There's mostly nothing major in the way of flash, just those little daggy bits that a mould gets when it's high mileage. But they all need cleaning up... And if I'd known, you could've had the decals from this one. Oh well.

And yes, I'm sure that it's 34 (or was... at 2030hrs it was still 28C and 74%), no fires needed. :D

• Like 3

Got some fast work going on there Rob. Sounds great therapy after such a long lay-off.

It's a simple kit Col, thank Hasegawa-san, and mostly it fits pretty well. The biggest issue is going to be when I get to the stage of painting, because that's the bit I hate. Which explains the umpty-faarsand built-but-as-yet-unpainted models I have hiding in various boxes and etceteras all over the place.

We shall see...

• Like 2

Hi a Rob

Come on mate, we can both finish this, after all you have all the bits, and the correct decals, talk about spoilt !

Now when it comes to paint are you an airbrush man or a hairy stick man ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

Update. (Note - no photos, coz of reasons what will become clear.)

Early awake yesterday morning, straight into the painting. Threw some colour onto the pilot (who is, as yet, anonononymously nameless), and then grabbed some very dark grey and splashed it around the cockpit (such as it is). Seeing as I had the dark grey out, I dabbed a bit onto the tyres as well. After it dried, I dropped a dash of Future onto the 'instrument panel' in preparation for the first decal of the build. While the Future dried, I looked at the decal... and realised that a black cockpit was probably not strictly according to Hoyle, as the instruments would all disappear against the black. Yeah, always read the instructions, even when you know what you're doing... an overcoat with a medium grey has ended up with an approximation of a Lightning cockpit colour, which is appropriate, and the area is only an approximation of a Lightning cockpit.

A bit of Googly research on the shape of overwing tanks led me off down a varied and interesting path of aviationary avenues, most of them in no way related to Lightnings, Group Builds, Hasegawa kits or even modelling. When I returned a few hours later (yes, it was a long deviation), I had discovered that the supplied tanks are not what one would call correct, but I decided to just trim them up a bit at the rear end and leave them be.

Hoping to make some progress on the airframe, I decided to check the instructions (!!) and see which of the strakes were to fit on which side. Starboard 35, port 34, check. Offered up 35, went to look for 34... nada. Hmm. Check again. Nope. Something fishy here (at first I blamed Mr Jockney, who may have been exacting some small measure of revenge for my having a complete kit, but I realised that that was silly - if I was going to nick bits, it would be something hard to reproduce, like an undercarriage leg. Or a canopy). I checked the photos I'd taken for the GB (prior planning prevents poor performance), and saw that yes, the part I was seeking was actually there at the beginning... a bit of thunking had me working out that I'd probably lost it down the laundry drain when I washed the sprues. So it was off with the U-bend, 'just in case' it had managed to resist the flood and float above the tide. A bit of plumbing later, and I discovered that not only do my drains need a good cleaning, but that I was in for a bit of scratchbuilding, as well. Ho Hum. A request was duly sent to BaE Workbench, were the fitters had a fit, and duly knocked up a replacement from a bit of sheet. It'll look OK under a coat of paint, guv'nor, honest. Thick paint, mind, thick paint.

Airbrakes... decided to do a final fit and glue of these, then after fiddling around with them for a while, and flush with the success of the replacement strake, I just couldn't stand the gaps. The rest of the afternoon (and half the night... good thing I'm single) was devoted to various investigations into ways to make the airbrakes look pukkah. I'm not into scribing, so piling Miliput into the hole and sorting the edges later was not going to happen. Much Googling (again - what did we do before t'interwebz were invented??) and I decided I'd run with the ancient and noble technique of mixing superglue and baking soda to make a solid putty. Off up the local shop to acquire baking soda (abbr BS), and I started working on ways (can you see where this is going?) to make the infill removable so as to facilitate ("Oooh" cried the crowd in awe) the trimming and fettling of said infill. I played about with various combinations of aluminium foil, from the kitchen cupboard, drink powder tin seals and even Bare Metal, but to no avail - things just wouldn't.stay.were.they.were.supposed.to!! It was getting late by this time, and I had one of those Eureka moments that afflict the terminally stupid from time to time - an oil based release agent would work, wouldn't it. Hunted high and low for petroluem jelly (which I KNOW I have), ended up with a tube of fishing reel grease. A deft swipe onto the inside of the fuselage (as a test - just like Manuel, I learn, I learn), followed by superglue and BS, proved the concept, and I started on the airbrake well. After getting the port side cast and mostly cleaned up, I decided that it was time to call it a night...

In summary, progress yesterday. Part painted a pilot, painted a cockpit (twice), painted all 3 tyres, filed a bit off the ends of the overwing tanks, scratchbuilt one strake, moulded one airbrake. No-one died and I'm not on fire, so it was a good day! :D

Pat, I have both paint delivery systems, but prefer the airbrush for larger areas - the hairy stick tends to dry off much too quickly here, leaving an (even more than usually) shoddy paint job. I have tried adding extender to acrylics, and while it seems to work very well in the airbrush, it doesn't help with the paint brush. I do brush smaller areas, such as pilots. And wheels. And well, small things. And even if you nick me decals, I have spares in the decal folder. Nyah, nyah, nyah. :P

• Like 4

G'day mate

Blimey did you get out bed on the wrong side or what !

I think I can sum up why you are in such a pickle...... You're too bleeding fussy !

We only have a few days to finish, and you think you have got time to mix some colonial cocktail out petroleum jelly and baking powder, who do you think you are Tom Cruise ?

Right enough of this nonsense, you bragging about being single and not having 2 sets of twins off school to juggle as well as finishing this GB, will cut no ice with me I can tell you.......... Errr might have gone slightly OTT there !

OK seriously unless you have unlimited time between now and the GB close or access to alternative parts, I would build what you have, remember its your aircraft. Struth if people are going to get themselves in a lather over the wrong shade of Grey ( I believe there are 50 ) then they will need counselling when they see mine !

Enough of this flannel and get blooming on with it !

Cheers Pat

Ps thanks for the decals and the last cold tinnie out of the fridge !

• Like 2

Some days are just not worth bothering with. :) Never mind, life happens.

And I'm not being fussy, I'm being careful... however, modelling has to take a break today, off to town to do stuff. Hopefully I'll get a good run at it this arvo.

As for bragging about being single... there are times when it's good, and times when it's about the worst thing in the world. And as I age, I really wish I had someone to continue the lineage. Oh well, too late to worry about it now.

Decals you are welcome to. The tinnie, too. Although it's been in the fridge a while, I haven't had a drink for over 25 years... you might want to take it to a party and leave it there. :D

Edited by Rob G
  • Like 1

Hi Rob

Thanks for the update and especially the advice on the tinnie !

Fresh start today, finish a bit and move onto the next bit, I'll post some photos of mine later on which normally has the effect of everyone feeling better about there own builds......... Funny that eh ?

As for the other stuff, never loose hope, lots of girls have dreadful taste in guys, if they didn't most of us on here would also be single !

Catch up later,

• Like 1

Of course you know what's gonna happen now Ray. At the end of your Lightning build with all of its diversions, there peeping from under the corner of the instruction sheet will be the missing strake, having been there all the time. It's funny, no matter how many times you have lifted that sheet or checked other places for it the part-blinkers stop you noticing that missing piece.

Good Luck in completing this bud.

EDIT ****

Ooops my apologies to you ROB. You would think that having read through this I would at the very least have got the name right. There is also another big clue given in your username.

• Like 1

As a single (and happy about that) bloke I see where you're coming from Rob. I'm on medication for depression (for external factors) and some days are better than others.

Not being on fire is good :thumbsup:

Keep going and you can always roll it into KUTA VII, something I may have to do as well....

• Like 1

Right, update time.
It's been a busy couple of days away from the bench, but things have moved on. Nose weight added, cockpit is painted and decalled (such as it can be), fuselage is together, nose and tail bits are on and faired in, and all the seams are made good. I'm actually quite happy with the way it looks so far.

I'm glad I spent the time doing the airbrakes, they look much better than the modified kit originals. They fit tight enough that they won't need glue, which will give me the option of taking them out to fix them if they prove to be ugly when the top coats go on...

[post=15958622710_72ff6facd0_z.jpg20141230_000734 by RobG67, on Flickr][/post]

And here she is, in the jig while the wings set up. Empennage later tonight or maybe first thing tomorrow, then on with the canopy and first colour!

[post=16145931045_26cfe3c469_z.jpg20141230_204550 by RobG67, on Flickr][/post]

Edited by Rob G
  • Like 4

Update.

Things have been progressing well. The wings and empennage went on last night and, mercy of mercies, have set up in their correct positions. Today was 'paint the pilot' day, as well as continuing with all the detail bits and bobs. To that end, the canopy was prepared and Futured, the missile rails were installed, the Red Tops were converted to training rounds (if anyone can give me a colour on these, I'd be a happy bunny :D ), the seat was painted up and the wheels and gear were painted.

All was on target for a well-timed finish until late this afternoon, when work called... instead of having the rest of the week off, I have to pack a bag and go for a wee drive in the country, to spend a couple of days fixing whatever it is that the client broke. Yay. Given that the job is 300km away, and that we work 12 hour shifts and don't go home in between, I'm scuppered for more modelling until Saturday morning my time. Which will make things a bit tight, me thinks. Still, if I can get a good clear run at it on Saturday and Sunday, it should just squeeze in, although the decals may be wet when I take the final photos. :D

Here's some progress pics. First the bird herself, just to show that I'm progressing...

[post=16154987715_fba0ce46f4_z.jpgLightning overview by RobG67, on Flickr][/post]

[post=15532645784_1fab90d134_z.jpgLightning side view strake by RobG67, on Flickr][/post]

and the pilot. Ladies and gentlemen, may I present SQNLDR Ronan Layt RAAF, on detachment to RAF 11Sqn because frankly, no-one wanted him back home.

15532648714_e8eb7b0dbe_z.jpgRonan Layt 1crop by RobG67, on Flickr

He's a little dusky, but a few months of English summer will no doubt sort that right out. (ie, I'm going to have to run a little bit of a highlight over the old boat race.)

Ciao for now, see you Saturday.

• Like 7

Hi Rob

Only 300km away, I thought a trip to the corner shop was further than that in your part of the world !

Great progress mate, thanks for the encouragement, let's both complete this GB together !

Cheers Pat

I thought his name would be SQN LDR Justin Thyme.

It's looking great Rob.

I did actually play around with variations on Thyme... but Layt is actually in the phonebook, so....

And thank you. I'm hoping it will be done in time and still look OK. ;)

Hi Rob

Only 300km away, I thought a trip to the corner shop was further than that in your part of the world !

Great progress mate, thanks for the encouragement, let's both complete this GB together !

Cheers Pat

For some of us, the corner shop is more than 300km away. :D Luckily, I'm not one of them. My job however, is that far away. Downside, working New Year's Day and not getting to work on my Frightening, upside, double time and a half for the public holiday - made it hard to say no. ;)

And get a move on man, time is running out!

Your Lightning is coming along nicely, the painting of your Pilot is incredible but how are you going to get a 1/48 pilot into a 1/72 kit?

Duncan B

I think that that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said about one of my models Duncan. Are you sure you're posting on the correct thread? ;)

Truth be told, it's just some simple blocks of colour (done in the morning while I can see and don't have a shake), and then a few layers of ink used as a wash. And it's def not a 48th plane driving guy, I can tell you!

• Like 1

Yay, I made 2 pages!

Update: Overburgers are on the wings, canopy is masked and on (I remember now why I stopped doing 1/72th aircraft...), paint has been applied to the airframe - black over the canopy frames and Barley Grey under the wings. Hopefully it will be OK for masking and the next colour before bed tonight! If so, things should just work out, if not, then the chance is very small that it will be done in time (even though I get an extra 10 hours). I'll still finish it off though.

• Like 1

Racing along to a finish, I don't think I'm going to make it. Here's a couple of shots from the middle and end of the painting session that ended today - sadly, some of the Barley Grey on the underwing was damaged by the tape (old Kabuki, with dodgy glue). No big deal, she's going to be weathered anyway, might as well use it as a learning tool. I've still got to add the bare metal sections, the decals and the various odd coloured panels (aerial fit etc) to the airframe, as well as painting the gear wells and putting her up on her legs, which are ready for installation. I'm going to give it a darn good try... Humbrol MetalCote dries quickly, and superglue is a saviour. :D

Photos.

Some masking in place.

[post=16191310221_02d8d7e738_z.jpg20150104_120249 by RobG67, on Flickr][/post]

[post=16191313831_1e0b860756_z.jpg20150104_120230 by RobG67, on Flickr][/post]

General view after masking removal.

[post=16007116769_8cbe180781_z.jpg20150104_155248 by RobG67, on Flickr][/post]

Underside after masking removed.

[post=16005714498_dc85d69939_z.jpg20150104_155345 by RobG67, on Flickr][/post]

Damaged paint.

[post=16193178455_d913787c88_z.jpg20150104_155403 by RobG67, on Flickr][/post]

• Like 4