OEZ 1:48 Su-7BKL/BMK Fitter A

Icarus

Season's greetings everyone.

I would like to drag my second submission kicking and screaming into this Group Build, out of the stash of Doom. As you can see, I have barely started it, but unfortunately found that whoever had had this kit before has made a somewhat ham-fisted attempt at converting it from BKL status to BMK....apparently blindfolded! I kind of lost my mojo on this kit then.

Anyway, here's where things stand now. As you can see, there are resin seats, wheels, and Hi-Decal decals to contribute to fun and games. I'm inclined to do either the Algerian or Egyptian AF BMK Fitter A

DSC017191_zpsf5ece59a.jpg

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 3

Thanks Mish - you're quite right. Not exactly a far-advanced build, but a KUTA is the only thing that will get me beyond the despondency I feel looking at the amateur surgery done unto this poor kit before I got hold of it!

Icarus

• Like 1

OK. A bit of work over the festive period, mainly on the cockpit detail painting:

DSC017241_zps605393aa.jpg

Which will count for very little when the kit is built, as the cockpit is a dark and hidden place. Oh well!

DSC017261_zps8b748485.jpg

Icarus

• Like 1

Thanks Mish. However, the seat has been giving me a lot of grief - it doesn't fit! I have been scratching my head trying to work out what's wrong, so in desperation I broke open the Eduard Fitter-A that I have in the stash (which is essentially the same plastic with some updated resin/PE). Lo and behold, the seat is much smaller:

DSC017291_zps504cccf2.jpg

So that explains it. Looks like some more painting is required.

More progress on the main aircraft...

DSC017301_zpse63be711.jpg

I know the Fitter had all of the aerobatic ability of a dodo, but it does look vaguely cool, in a Blake's 7 kind of way (showing my age....).

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

Bugger re. the Pavla seat - I just got one to use in my Su-7 - I did think it looked pretty big in the packet when I got it but didn't go any further than that.

Dry-fitting it into the OEZ cockpit I think I can make it fit with a bit of sanding of the instrument side panels etc..

Thanks for the heads up!

Aaron

Oh dear. Once Pandora's box is open...

Have just been delving around the resin bits of the Eduard Su-7, and found this bit that goes behind the bang seat.

DSC017321_zps6e3f6470.jpg

It too will have to form part of this expanding KUTA build. I guess I will need to ask our Czech friends how I order replacements for what is now turning out to be an Eduard donor kit...

Icarus

Edited by Icarus

I have been having a good, long think about this (not easy for a surgeon, but there we go.)

If I used the resin seat from the Eduard kit, I would also have use all of the associated PE as well, subsequently "neutering" any subsequent build of the Eduard boxing of this kit . Looking at fu_machu's excellent build of this kit, admittedly with a pilot figure in it, he seems to have gotten a good result by using the Quickboost seat, sanded down. So...

DSC017331_zps0c965c51.jpg

This is the proposed solution.

I have used my original Quickboost seat, after a lot of sanding, and added the great resin detail from the Eduard kit behind the seat. At the moment everything is tacked in place with white glue just to check how it looks, before painting the detail, but I think it works.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Icarus

Edited by Icarus
  • Like 1

yeah, looking good. Once you have this sorted it's not to bad kit to build. I think my port wing was misaligned though, I had the leading edge matching up but the trailing edge was a good mil out. I ended up having to pad the bit where the aileron went (thankfully underneath) to avoid a huge gap.

Change of plan (final one now).

Just looked at the Eduard website, and their Brassin version of the Su-7 seat includes the resin posterior support, plus pre-painted PE seatbelts. I have therefore ordered this as a replacement, and will use the correctly-scaled bang seat from the Eduard donor kit for this OEZ one.

Anyway, off to paint the cockpit (and new seat...)

Icarus

Really annoying when bits don't fit like that. It's sort if understandable when combining resin from different sources, but I bought the neomega full mig 21 um conversion and I'm not kidding you when I say absolutely nothing fitted! Had to hack up the seats, the tub, fill in gaps. Absolute nightmare. I have the su7 too and the neomega cockpit for it. I'm afraid to start it.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh well - life has intervened, so won't get this finished in time. Finally got all the correct-sized bits of the cockpit delivered, and have started painting them. With a fair wind behind, should get the cockpit and main a/c priming done this weekend, but no more. The rest of the build will be on the Association of London Modeller's forum - see you there...

DSC017341_zpsce87356b.jpg

DSC017351_zps68709353.jpg

Icarus

• Like 1