Sweden:- Heller Saab Lansen

Just putting down my marker in preparation for the kick off. I have many options to choose from, hopefully I will be able to pick one before the start

Heller Tunnan, Lansen or Viggen
Revell Hunter FGA9 converted to a J34
Airfix Vampire T11
Italeri Twin seat Gripen
Airfix P-51D
1/48 Airfix Spitfire PR.XIX but I need some AM decals for this
Special Hobby J-21R
T6 Texan but again I need some Swedish decals
I do have a Draken too but I did a Draken for the last GB I entered

:hmmm: choices

Edited by chrisrope
  • Like 1

Any of those options sound cool but my vote goes for the Hunter as you can guess Chris :D

Failing that the Viggen is a close second or P-51 in third place as they look quite smart with the triple crown roundels.

Some interesting options there Chris.

Home-grown Swedish built aircraft are always nice to see :)

But then again Brit types look particularly fetching in Swedish markings :winkgrin:

Cliff

The Hunter FGA-9 is a bit wrong for the Mk.50/J34 variant as well as it features the 'DogTooth' wing design which the Swedish variant predated.

I'm looking forward to seeing that Lansen though. Great looking plane with strong Hunter overtones :)

Cool which version?

One of the options that comes out of the Heller box ;) I may need to source some better roundels/triple crowns though

The Hunter FGA-9 is a bit wrong for the Mk.50/J34 variant as well as it features the 'DogTooth' wing design which the Swedish variant predated.

I'm looking forward to seeing that Lansen though. Great looking plane with strong Hunter overtones :)

I have the Freightdog F.4 conversion set which should get it close enough to an F.50 :)

• Like 1

One of the options that comes out of the Heller box ;) I may need to source some better roundels/triple crowns though

I have the Freightdog F.4 conversion set which should get it close enough to an F.50 :)

I might be able to help with some Roundels depending on size.

Is the F.4 conversion replacement wings then? That is the only visible difference (to my eyes) that puts me off making an Airfix J34 (and even that won't put me off for long as I NEED a Swedish Hunter!!)

Is the F.4 conversion replacement wings then? That is the only visible difference (to my eyes) that puts me off making an Airfix J34 (and even that won't put me off for long as I NEED a Swedish Hunter!!)

There's slight differences in the centre fuselage vents and a couple aerials under the belly but the smaller bore tailpipe is another obvious difference. Some nutter butchered a Revell F.6 Hunter kit and posted it in RFI early last year if you have a look ;)

• Like 1

Cheers I'll check the sizes:)

The Freightdog set is for the Revell kit and replaces the centre section, tailpipe and wing leading edges. The hardest part would be getting hold of a reasonably priced Revell Hunter to chop up.

Back to the Lansen, the all important box and sprue shots

20150103_122036.jpg

I did threaten to start this once before so there are some loose bits and some primer splashed on it, nothing started though

20150103_122224.jpg

As I have these decals, it would be daft not to use them

20150103_122419.jpg

20150103_122434.jpg

Finally the not too great Heller kit decals, all ever so slightly off register :(

Looking at it though, I only need to use 8+9 from it so I should be OK a long as I can sort some roundels

20150103_122455.jpg

Hopefully starting soon

Cheers

Chris

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Certainly is. And look now it is :) :) :)

8FE81DDA-52CE-401F-81C4-90DCF5F962C0.jpg

I've also added the lower nose panel and lower wing

4F2F7341-99E1-40D4-875F-32962A988E86.jpg

That's all in about 3 hours of modelling over 2 days. More than I've managed in the last 9 months since the baby was born ;)

Cheers

Chris

P.S- Cliff, the roundels are approx 13mm or 1/2 inch (ish)

• Like 1

The A 32 was unpainted bare metal underneath. You can use any aluminium colour you like. Just remember that SAAB aircraft was in a very matt aluminium and not as shiny as for example American aircraft. I think that Humbrol 56 will do just fine.

Andreas / Rudolf_Filip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Short update with lots in it :)

Lots of filling, smoothing and then primer, I applied a black base coat and masked off the nose and fin cap

C812F858-E5FA-45B0-B5B0-C8E8EAE0E0FF.jpg

191E7697-0FD9-4704-894C-94904A9CDC03.jpg

I then applied a coat of Halfords aluminium for the undersides

9ED9FEA2-B678-4E01-B65D-7A15ED5F7FD1.jpg

254E89A6-D898-4063-A584-8C8DA8163F29.jpg

And then masked off ready for the green top coat

0FFA9445-DB71-4208-A51C-6DB077FC2690.jpg

30EF7ACE-D89C-4388-B4F0-877C3B41C914.jpg

Hopefully get the green airbrushed on Friday

Cheers

Chris