revell 1/72 shackelton aew 2

For me, It's primarily about cost.

Even if the Airfix kit is HUGELY superior in detail & accuracy to the Revell kit, I'm not in a financial position to throw £40 at their Shack! I am aware that RRP is a fluid number. But even so, Until I see the price of the Revell kit is comparative (which i doubt, considering the costs of their B-17's & Lancs....), I'll have to go with their offering......

Which is a shame, As i really, REALLY want to support Airfix!!!!!!!

Maybe i'll just relive my childhood with an EvilBay'd Frog kit. (either would do!)

Not a chance, having spent the last fifteen minutes ready this threat I'm wouldn't touch a MR.1 or T.4 conversion with a barge pole, don't want the Shackleton Trust coming after me for royalties or my knee caps as I certainly can't pay! :winkgrin:. I'll leave that one to new Alley Cat....

A couple of years ago I actually got asked to leave an aircraft museum while measuring a subject for a planned resin kit, even after getting permission a few weeks earlier from the owner, on the day we turned up the museum assumed we were making a bundle out of it and made me put my ruler away before I agreed a fee, offered them fifty quid but it wasn't what they were hoping for!

Colin

I have a extreme doubts they own the copyright. They undoubtedly legitemately hold a lot a material on the machine and they are within their rights to restrict access to that material to whoever they want to, but that is a whole different ball game to owning the copyright.

To ask for a contribution/donation to assist maintaining the archive, is fine but thinking it's a cash cow is another. Undoubtedly the likes of Boeing, Lockheed et al have it locked down, but thier motivation is not making money out of licensing kits as they are multi-billion pound companies selling aeroplanes, licensing kits I would suggest is a pain for them. Their motivation I venture, is to ensure their corporate identity is consistant.

Folk in my opinion just need to exercise a bit a common sense, a quick Google will tell a musuem if they are dealing with a multi-million pound organisation or a chap knocking out decals or resin parts from the shed at the end of his garden.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

I'm also of the opinion that a number of people have made their mind the Revell kit will be a clunker, for no other reason they have decided/dared to go head-to-head with Airfix. Competition is healthy, and it could well spur on both manufactures to make something special to prove they are the best? Has anyone considered that?

It is also diconcerting that some have given up on the Revell kit based on very little infomation. I personally hate it when when we get the get keyboard critics 'dissing' a kit based on images of sprue shots et al. I'll never pass comment on a kit until I have actually obtained it or seen it in the flesh, I'll also don't pay attention or give a review the time of day unless the reviewer has the kit in hand. There are too many vaguraries with photographs of unknown provenance. Some of what has been displayed on here is a worrying extension of that and reminds me of the Medieval ducking stool, if you float your damned, if you sink your damned too.

Just my opinion.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

For me, It's primarily about cost.

Even if the Airfix kit is HUGELY superior in detail & accuracy to the Revell kit, I'm not in a financial position to throw £40 at their Shack! I am aware that RRP is a fluid number. But even so, Until I see the price of the Revell kit is comparative (which i doubt, considering the costs of their B-17's & Lancs....), I'll have to go with their offering......

Which is a shame, As i really, REALLY want to support Airfix!!!!!!!

Maybe i'll just relive my childhood with an EvilBay'd Frog kit. (either would do!)

Having had my fingers burned with Airfix's 'limited run, pre-order only, get it while you can, Nimrod' (I bought two at full price, £39.99 & they ended up selling all the rest of the allegedly 'pre-order only' kits for a tenner or so!), I have not bought any of their premium priced large size kits on release since. That way I got a Valiant for £20, Sea Vixen for £25 & a Javelin for the same price. Merlins & Lynx have also been fairly readily available for half price or so. If Airfix sell all the Shacks for £50, good luck to them, but I'll wait a year or so & see if they come down to half that!

K

Airfix and Hobbycraft did these.

Trevor

I know (I have both), but the Airfix kit - while nicefor its age - is now 35 years old and went out of the cat by 1988 or so, and the Hobbycraft kit was among their earliest releases and is rather simplistic. The Swords slipped underneath my radar. In any event, there hasn't been a -4 AFAIK. And in 48th the situation is similar - there's the ancient Hawk kit, and while I think someone announced a new one a couple of years ago, I'm ignorant whether this ever saw the kight of day.

In any event, I'd expect the Revell Riveteer kit to be quite a bit lower in price in Germany than Airfix's - if it appears. If I was Revell and not too far gone in the project, I'd possibly reconsider it, because likely the UK will be the main market for the kit, and a lower retail in Germany (with better sales as Airfix, but on a negligible level) means nothing for sales in the UK.

I personally hate it when when we get the get keyboard critics 'dissing' a kit based on images of sprue shots et al. I'll never pass comment on a kit until I have actually obtained it or seen it in the flesh, I'll also don't pay attention or give a review the time of day unless the reviewer has the kit in hand. There are too many vaguraries with photographs of unknown provenance. Some of what has been displayed on here is a worrying extension of that and reminds me of the Medieval ducking stool, if you float your damned, if you sink your damned too.

Just my opinion.

Marty...

The internet is unfortunately ripe with those that consider themselves judge jury and excecutioner in our hobby, there are a lot of people who have a wealth of knowledge of many aircraft

types and can spot an error from a mile away.

I believe Sir that some years back you took my daughter to task over comments she made regarding the Cyber Hobby Sea Venom. Now I have been restoring Sea Venom's since 1981

and when Danni bought the sprue photo's to my attention we both agreed that there were serious errors in the kit, which she then pointed out on this site. To which you made the "Cyber warrior" remark.

The subsequent review that The Girl wrote (with some input from Dad) proved without doubt that the original comments were justified. I purchased a copy of the kit to see how bad it actually was and

all that achieved was a waste of fifty bucks.

I would suggest the issue is not the comments being made about sprue shots etc but rather who is making them.

• Like 2

The internet is unfortunately ripe with those that consider themselves judge jury and excecutioner in our hobby, there are a lot of people who have a wealth of knowledge of many aircraft

types and can spot an error from a mile away.

I believe Sir that some years back you took my daughter to task over comments she made regarding the Cyber Hobby Sea Venom. Now I have been restoring Sea Venom's since 1981

and when Danni bought the sprue photo's to my attention we both agreed that there were serious errors in the kit, which she then pointed out on this site. To which you made the "Cyber warrior" remark.

The subsequent review that The Girl wrote (with some input from Dad) proved without doubt that the original comments .

Not me Sir,

I have no interest in the Sea Venom what-so-ever. I assume you have made a mistake of indenty, but I do take exception remarks above as they are not true I assume you have an apology in you.

Marty..

Edited by marty_hopkirk

Well don't then, get the kit it in hand and make a proper and informed view based on actuality and review on reality rather than write a cyber warrior based view based what could be distorted images.

The internet is great, but this part is terrible, get the get kit inhand first and comment and your credility will be enhanced, otherwise your view is dubious and you are just another internet warrior.

Marty...

Not me Sir,

I have no interest in the Sea Venom what-so-ever. I assume you have made a mistake of indenty, but I do take exception remarks above as they are not true I assume you have an apology in you.

Marty..

1st qoute is from post #8 in this thread. It would appear the remarks are true and no apology is required.

Mark.

• Like 4

Airfix Shackelton or Revell Shackelton, only one way to find out................................................................. :banghead::chair::bangin::boxing:

I've just had a mad thought. It couldn't be that Revell and Airfix are sharing a tool with Revell bringing out the AEW Mk2 and Airfix the Maritime versions, could it?

Also, should the IPMS book the return of the Shackleton nose for SMW2015?

I have a extreme doubts they own the copyright. They undoubtedly legitemately hold a lot a material on the machine and they are within their rights to restrict access to that material to whoever they want to, but that is a whole different ball game to owning the copyright.

To ask for a contribution/donation to assist maintaining the archive, is fine but thinking it's a cash cow is another. Undoubtedly the likes of Boeing, Lockheed et al have it locked down, but thier motivation is not making money out of licensing kits as they are multi-billion pound companies selling aeroplanes, licensing kits I would suggest is a pain for them. Their motivation I venture, is to ensure their corporate identity is consistant.

Folk in my opinion just need to exercise a bit a common sense, a quick Google will tell a musuem if they are dealing with a multi-million pound organisation or a chap knocking out decals or resin parts from the shed at the end of his garden.

Marty...

Marty,

You seem to be having difficulty in understanding things. I've never stated the SPT own copyright, just that we own the design. We're not talking logos, the word Shackleton, or who can make a representation of a fullsize aircraft. We own purely the design, and the associated rights that come along with it, as laid down in the contract between us and British Aerospace.

To address another point of yours - whether we're a small charitable organisation or a multimillion dollar company, our archive is intellectual property just the same as any historical data that belongs to Boeing or Lockheed. We decide who gets access to the archive, and the cost, and its not for you or anyone other than our Trustees to decide whether a donation is 'fine' - and thankfully the MOD, SAAF and various aviation authorities have more respect for that than you appear to.

I've already stated earlier in this thread that we're not looking for licencing, or stupid enough to take on a company the size of Revell to try and get them to stop in favour of our supported project, nor would we want to.

My personal opinion on the subject is that I've built a number of Revell kits and found them to be variable in accuracy; so given my close links with the Shack, I'll be paying close attention to their example of Shackleton when its released. I will be very surprised if they manage to make a kit that is accurate given what I have seen and heard so far - however I would be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong.

My money will be buying an Airfix kit, as I firmly believe it will be the best representation of a Shackleton in model form to date.

Regards,

Rich

• Like 1

I'm also of the opinion that a number of people have made their mind the Revell kit will be a clunker, for no other reason they have decided/dared to go head-to-head with Airfix.

Or maybe the fact that they have recently brought serious shape errors to market with a Spitfire and a Halifax.

• Like 1

I think we are going around in circles here.

Modelldoc says that not even CAD renditions will be on show at Nurenburg.

We all need to cut Revell (varying) degrees of slack until we have 'something' to hit them over the head/shower them with garlands/meh*.

I suggest we reconvene in several months time and praise/condemn/exasperate in due course.

Trevor

* delete as appropriate

• Like 2

Or maybe the fact that they have recently brought serious shape errors to market with a Spitfire and a Halifax.

You're quite right. It's not hard to pick some random kits from a catalogue and extrapolate to see what a future release will look like. I'm guessing a future Airfix Shack will probably have heavily overdone panel lines, a tricky fit, flow marks in the canopy and will come with shockingly bad QC, such as warped parts and duplicated/missing sprues, decals and instructions. Not really a problem, Airfix customer service can fix any issues, they're very good thanks to all the practice they get.

• Like 1