revell 1/72 shackelton aew 2

Modeldoc - Seems you are in the know about Revell plans. Do you know where did they will get their measurements/drawings from ?

If it is from an actual example well I will be happy.

Robert

Is it not common marketing sense for Revell to review the potential duplication at an early stage? Duplication will (as already outlined) restrict potential sales for Revell, whereas a new MR3 would be advantageous for them for several reasons: Firstly, Revell would incur no more wrath, bad press and disappointment by eclipsing the old worn out FROG mould with something laudably better.

Secondly the MR3, being such a different beast will whet the appetites of more purchasers than a duplicated subject, including many who first buy An Airfix MR2/AEW.

Any decision to manufacture with clear knowledge of duplication has to reduce the commercial success of a product.

If the 'bean counters' ARE in charge at Hobbico Revell, (if they haven't already done so), they need to calculate the effect of their Revell committing an avoidable blunder and loss of profit.

A good Revell MR3 may have production runs equalling the old Frog items popularity.

CHANGE DIRECTION NOW REVELL! YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE!

• Like 2

I'm with Welkin77; I will, I repeat will buy both an MR.2/AEW.2 and a new-mould MR.3. It is a puzzling decision by Revell. Of course, if they do as good a job as Airfix, or nearly, and it's 2/3rd's the price, I would buy their MR.2/AEW.2. But like everyone else, I'll just have to wait and see.

Regards,

Jason

Can i just say.... Buy British! :-)............. Airfix are a world apart from i was a lad, they are finding their place in the modern modeling world, i thinks...... Not knocking anyones point of views.... But as said in a earlier post.... The young team from Airfix, at Telford, impressed me greatly. Giving the back ground to what goes on behind the dark curtains! ohherr missus...

I just hope, to make everyone happy in our SHACKLETON WORLD! Just wish Revell would do a MR3, just to keep it a even world......

Mark

• Like 1

You read that, Colin! Get to work! Put me in for one set (for now; I'll get to the Shackleton T.4 some other day).

Regards,

Jason

Not a chance, having spent the last fifteen minutes ready this threat I'm wouldn't touch a MR.1 or T.4 conversion with a barge pole, don't want the Shackleton Trust coming after me for royalties or my knee caps as I certainly can't pay! :winkgrin:. I'll leave that one to new Alley Cat....

A couple of years ago I actually got asked to leave an aircraft museum while measuring a subject for a planned resin kit, even after getting permission a few weeks earlier from the owner, on the day we turned up the museum assumed we were making a bundle out of it and made me put my ruler away before I agreed a fee, offered them fifty quid but it wasn't what they were hoping for!

Colin

• Like 3

I wouldn't doubt Revells ability to produce high accuracy Shack. They've done some super stuff lately. Sadly though they don't appear yet to have developed the common touch that The Airfix team have adopted to their benefit.

We don't know why Revell had such a bad day or days over the Shackleton 'meetings'. Perhaps the wrong personnel were tasked with the job or lacked preparation. It has the hallmark of an expedition doomed to fail due to a lack of in communication skills. I wonder if there was an interesting meeting on their return to Revellbase!

I saw Airfix team do an excellent talk to the RAES recently. It was to a full audience at Loughborough University. They understand the value of raising the profile of their company and gleaning valuable contacts through networking in this way. They clearly enjoy what they do. It was professional and immensely interesting. Their interest in feedback is very prominent, moreso than any manufactuter I've experienced which is all good for us!

• Like 2

A couple of years ago I actually got asked to leave an aircraft museum while measuring a subject for a planned resin kit, even after getting permission a few weeks earlier from the owner, on the day we turned up the museum assumed we were making a bundle out of it and made me put my ruler away before I agreed a fee, offered them fifty quid but it wasn't what they were hoping for!

Colin

I find that attitude disappointing.

When we at CAM have been approached for similar requests its never been an issue, hell most of the time I do the measuring, photographing

etc myself. So far I've assisted CMR, Fisher Models Barracuda Studio's High Planes and a few others.

Any manufacturer is welcome to contact us, all we ask is the museum gets a mention we would never ask for cash.

• Like 5

Not a chance, having spent the last fifteen minutes ready this threat I'm wouldn't touch a MR.1 or T.4 conversion with a barge pole, don't want the Shackleton Trust coming after me for royalties or my knee caps as I certainly can't pay! :winkgrin:. I'll leave that one to new Alley Cat....

Colin

We wouldn't go that far. One knee maybe... both knees just isn't sporting!

More seriously, we can't let you see the drawings - but we don't mind people looking at or measuring up the MR1/T4 nose we have. The only other one you'll find (which a lot of people forget about) is at Flambards.

Bear in mind that yet again a lot of the skin panels on the fuselage are different, the mainwheels had the earlier single unit late Lancaster/Lincoln style brakes, and the inboard and outboard cowlings are different due to using both Griffon 57 and 57A engines. Oddball versions would see your aircraft carry cheek mounted 20mm cannon barbettes, an air to air refuelling point on the rear fuselage, and a proper rear turret. Don't even get me started on the RAE's infamous "Zebedee"!!

I've been thinking that aftermarket stores for any Shack model would be interesting. Spare wheels in a carriage frame in the bomb bay, spare engine, panniers, overload fuel tank, or just because its in the design, a "Tallboy".

There's quite a bit of scope.

Regards,

Rich

• Like 4

I think it's been implied that Airfix was 'in' first with Revell trailing behind. Could it be the Revell got word of Airfix's plans and tried to steal a march? Perhaps they wanted theirs out first to get that initial rush of buyers money.

I have no idea when who knew what, but I was approached by a friend who assists Rv. with research in May or so whether I could contribute any references for their feasibility study. I told him back then that the 3 and the earlier versions were rather different aircraft, as it was and is a main point to be able to produce at least two boxings with a difference of any given new mould. No idea when the SPT (or rather the museum with the 3) was approached but if it was after my contact then my info must have become lost in translation somewhere along the line, cause otherwise they couldn't have been surprised.

Maybe it's only good that I wasn't able to locate the few books/-lets I have, or otherwise I'had been be stoned if they're no good and Revell had botched it :boom:

• Like 1

We wouldn't go that far. One knee maybe... both knees just isn't sporting!

More seriously, we can't let you see the drawings - but we don't mind people looking at or measuring up the MR1/T4 nose we have. The only other one you'll find (which a lot of people forget about) is at Flambards.

Bear in mind that yet again a lot of the skin panels on the fuselage are different, the mainwheels had the earlier single unit late Lancaster/Lincoln style brakes, and the inboard and outboard cowlings are different due to using both Griffon 57 and 57A engines. Oddball versions would see your aircraft carry cheek mounted 20mm cannon barbettes, an air to air refuelling point on the rear fuselage, and a proper rear turret. Don't even get me started on the RAE's infamous "Zebedee"!!

I've been thinking that aftermarket stores for any Shack model would be interesting. Spare wheels in a carriage frame in the bomb bay, spare engine, panniers, overload fuel tank, or just because its in the design, a "Tallboy".

There's quite a bit of scope.

Regards,

Rich

Rich you have done it again! :Tasty: Oh the thought of all those different shacks, we could have!

It is a gold mine, me thinks!So much said, but i honestly think it can only get bigger! Just look at the amount of posts on here and other sites..... The Shackleton is one like the lanc and spit! Forever British.......

So let enjoy whatever Airfix or Revell give us peeps :thumbsup:

Edited by maudesman
  • Like 3

How bout my one thought for a build..... The prototype with full armament....ie "cheek" barbettes :bouncy: , top turret and rear turret...... Now that must sound interesting to some? Sounds like a full and proper roast beef dinner of an idea? :Tasty: Or am i just one of many? :-)

Mark

Edited by maudesman
  • Like 3

I'm just happy we're finally getting some Shacks....................along with the Airfix Javelin, Sea Vixen and Gnat, 1/144th scale Victors, Valiants and Vulcans and the 1/72 Lightning twin tubs its like all my dreams have come true!

All we need now are some Scimitars.

I'm just happy we're finally getting some Shacks....................along with the Airfix Javelin, Sea Vixen and Gnat, 1/144th scale Victors, Valiants and Vulcans and the 1/72 Lightning twin tubs its like all my dreams have come true!

We need the great Mr Airfix :mike: to down scale the lovely 1/48 Javelin to 1/72...... :please: Now that would make 2015 to be a very Great British :bobby: year......... But we all can but wish.... clutching my lucky four leaf clover! :D

Edited by maudesman

I second that, but may I remind you that there also is the Venom which has been completely neglected by mainstream manufacturers (at least the single seaters), with just the ancient Frog 1/72 kit and the almost as ancient Glencoe (ex Lincoln) to 1/fiftysomethingfitthebox. Another rather neglected subject (though not British) is the Banshee.

We need the great Mr Airfix :mike: to down scale the lovely 1/48 Javelin to 1/72...... :please: Now that would make 2015 to be a very Great British :bobby: year......... But we all can but wish.... clutching my lucky four leaf clover! :D

,,,and the equally lovely Sea Vixen of course....!!

Definitely drifting off to a wishlist now!