revell 1/72 shackelton aew 2

The owner of the Cypriot Shacks won't sell. Believe me we have asked repeatedly, as they are crammed full of spare parts.

It is pure maddness then, why would he just let them rot away! im still rubbing the ears of my lucky budda! Those parts would be put to great use by the team! After seeing the two lancs flying together, not long back... What would be no more fitting than seeing the shack and lanc in formation! id pay to see that anyday!

Instead of giving monies, to mad groups and countries. Surely it would better be invested in the history ot our great engineering past!

Perhaps im not pc enough!

My little rant!

Mark

If we are looking to celebrate our great engineering past - as indeed we should - I wouldn't start with Shackletons. A beautiful sound indeed, and an impressive beast, lovely modelling subject, but looked at more realistically it was approaching obsolescence before entry into service and long obsolete before leaving it. As one ignorant or possibly just sarcastic American airman put it "What are you guys flying now, Liberators?"

The owner of the Cypriot Shacks won't sell. Believe me we have asked repeatedly, as they are crammed full of spare parts.

Just out of curiosity, why won't he sell? Surely he cannot be getting any personal benefit out of keeping two deteriorating derelicts on an airfield? I suspect he will wait until your Shackleton is finally flying and then, knowing spares will be at a premium offer to sell at a vastly inflated price? Very sad situation.

Allan

Just out of curiosity, why won't he sell? Surely he cannot be getting any personal benefit out of keeping two deteriorating derelicts on an airfield? I suspect he will wait until your Shackleton is finally flying and then, knowing spares will be at a premium offer to sell at a vastly inflated price? Very sad situation.

Allan

Just look at the way we hoard kits

These are just bigger!!!!!

• Like 3

Just look at the way we hoard kits

These are just bigger!!!!!

Hi,

It appears to me that it is only through hoarding that most of the examples of old machines have survived to this day.

look at all the ex bob film '109's recently sold, they had been hoarded for years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2846976/Stars-skies-Collection-six-Messerschmitts-appeared-1969-film-Battle-Britain-sold-4million-sitting-hanger-decades.html

Cheers

Jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

Allan

Your very likely right there.

The majority of my aircraft restoration career was with the RANFAA Museum and RAN Historic Flight. the up side was I had very little to do with finding parts

nor the wheeling and dealing that goes on with it.

Now out in the big bad world and looking for parts for WZ-897 I've found two things, first if you have a part its worth nothing, but if somebody has a part you want its worth

a fortune and secondly everyone wants to play secret squirrel with their stash and thinks its their God given right to rat through yours.

I've had my fingers burnt twice in the last few months, first a supposedly decent museum had a Sea Venom part that I needed, they wanted a couple of canopies for a project.

Now as we are still sorting and catalouging our spares the museum owner wanted to hold off swapping parts but was happy to buy the Venom part outright.

The representative from the other museum said he'd be back with a price, next I know the part is up for sale on E bay and gone.

To top it off this individual got onto our farce burke page and slagged us off for being unco-operative.

Second one, I was given the contact details of a gent who had a Sea Venom in his back yard, contact was duly made and I asked if he wished to sell it.

He got back to me a week later via text, yes you can buy it for your best price but no you cant look at it first. I did tell him I was looking to use the wings of

his aircraft to get mine taxying and would have to inspect them to see if they could handle the stress. Still waiting for an answer on that one.

The gent with the shacks will either be waiting for a moment to pounce or he'll hang on to them until he carks it and the family has to deal with the corroded remains.

Rebuilding aeroplanes is great fun except for this part. This parts sucks.

Hi,

It appears to me that it is only through hoarding that most of the examples of old machines have survived to this day.

look at all the ex bob film '109's recently sold, they had been hoarded for years.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2846976/Stars-skies-Collection-six-Messerschmitts-appeared-1969-film-Battle-Britain-sold-4million-sitting-hanger-decades.html

Cheers

Jerry

At the risk of going off at a bit of a tangent, love the link and the photos.Will make a B of B 1112 soon and these pics are great.

Got curious about those Cypriot Shacks, here they are on Google Earth, now what aeroplane is parked behind them?

paphos shaks by wallycacsabre, on Flickr

No... it's a Mk.1 Whitley that Revell measured up after they crawled all over those hot and decaying Shacks??

• Like 1

No... it's a Mk.1 Whitley that Revell measured up after they crawled all over those hot and decaying Shacks??

Hi

What we leave it up to somone else to climb over our hot british birds now :)

cheers

jerry

• Like 1

It's interesting to hear the comments from Rich regarding how rude (and clueless) Revell were.

If their Halifax and Lanc are anything to go by, there will be no dihedral to speak of, oversize / incorrect engines and undersized landing gear. The Airfix Lanc in comparison is spot on to my eye, and a lot less delicate. If I do buy the Revell kit, it will only be for the Decals and AEW bits to bolt on to the Airfix frame.

WV908 - with the Revell Halibag still sat solemly in bits, a Revell Lanc scrapped and three Airfix Lancs on the go....

No offence intended but, I really do not see the point of your comment. You are almost assuming as inevitable that the Revell Shackleton is going to be a clunker. Based on what evidence precisely?

One could just as easily turn round and say that if their HE-177, Junkers JU-290, FW-200 , B-17 and Blohm und Vosss BV-222 are anything to go by that the Shackleton will be a real stunner at a bargain price that will give its Airfix competitor a serious run for its money. There is not a manufacturer in existence that hasn't produced it's share of horrors. I think you are being very unfair on Revell. and for no good reason. Should the kit turn out to be far better than you seem to think it will then I think you may be forced to reconsider your plans for same.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 5

Here's a radical idea, let's just wait till the Shack is released before slamming it. We haven't even seen any CAD drawings yet.

Can we at least post some photos of the real aircraft and menace them with red lines?

Edit: I should hasten to add that the above is in jest. I genuinely do appreciate the efforts of those qualified to judge the accuracy of a kit.

• Like 3

Can we at least post some photos of the real aircraft and menace them with red lines?

Edit: I should hasten to add that the above is in jest. I genuinely do appreciate the efforts of those qualified to judge the accuracy of a kit.

:fight::bleh:

:mario:

Here's a radical idea, let's just wait till the Shack is released before slamming it. We haven't even seen any CAD drawings yet.

Far too radical for some!!.

Allan ( a k a Gaston le Red Pen!)

Edited by Albeback52

No offence intended but, I really do not see the point of your comment. You are almost assuming as inevitable that the Revell Shackleton is going to be a clunker. Based on what evidence precisely?

One could just as easily turn round and say that if their HE-177, Junkers JU-290, FW-200 , B-17 and Blohm und Vosss BV-222 are anything to go by that the Shackleton will be a real stunner at a bargain price that will give its Airfix competitor a serious run for its money. There is not a manufacturer in existence that hasn't produced it's share of horrors. I think you are being very unfair on Revell. and for no good reason. Should the kit turn out to be far better than you seem to think it will then I think you may be forced to reconsider your plans for same.

Allan

No offence intended but I don't see the point of your comment. You've obviously missed the bit further back where Revell were looking around a full size MR3 Shack to use as a prototype for their new Shack kit, and were rather upset when the it was pointed out to them that the difference was rather more than moving the pair of wheels from the front to the back. Or when they told us that the original manufacturers data was wrong regarding the later style exhausts

I don't doubt they can create a good kit. I don't doubt they can create a value for money kit. What I do doubt is that they can create an accurate kit, within the year especially given how utterly clueless they've been so far.

I'll happily let anyone bring any Shack kit to Coventry and place it at the side of a genuine AEW2 (minus radome). If you're really nice I'll even arrange to get the genuine AEW Mk2 drawings out. LIke this -

10877818_10152887044936544_974815152_n.j

As you can see - with this kind of thing available, judging accuracy isn't just based on opinion.

Kind regards,

Rich W

Shackleton Preservation Trust

• Like 4