JB's 'Shark Mouth over China'

I'm in with this. One of the first kits I bought when I got back into modelling about 8 years ago. It's got close to the top of build pile a few times, but finally it's time has come.

Eduards 1/48 P-40N

CurtissP-40N_048Eduard_Box01_zpscd2b3cfd

A reboxing of the Mauve Kit with added extras. Includes resin details, etch and a display base.

In box photos to follow nearer the start of the GB.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

So whats in the box.

CurtissP-40N_048Eduard_Parts01_zps826873

CurtissP-40N_048Eduard_Parts02_zps77f68b

A nice selection of resin and PE. The spares box will do well out of this.

CurtissP-40N_048Eduard_Parts03_zpsf34f23

Not a lot of progress to report beyond tiding up the resin bits.

Spent a bit of time studying the options and have decided to finish it as a P-40N flown by Lt.Col William N Reed of the 7th Fighter Squadron 3 Fighter Group (1944). Which I believe was part of the Chinese American Composite Wing. Decision purely taken on aesthetics, i think it had the best looking shark mouth design of the options available and a blue and white striped tail to break up the olive drab.

CurtissP-40N_048Eduard_Parts04_zps154693

Update of the last couple of weekends work.

Resin cockpit insert added and painted.

CurtissP-40N_048Eduard_Build02_zpsb0d177

CurtissP-40N_048Eduard_Build05_zps66d7bd

This next photos shows were things started going wrong. Somehow I ended up with representations of the grand canyon at the wing join.

Look closely you will also notice that I forgot to add the instrument panel when I closed everything up, think I was too focused on getting the resin floor to fit correctly.

Finally I managed to break off a couple of the gun barrels.

CurtissP-40N_048Eduard_Build07_zpsba7579

Got the day off, so once I have watched the Patriots - Colts game I am going to try to fill the gaps. Just waiting for a call from Ready Mix!.

• Like 2

Ooooh that's a gap! would it help fixing the top half of the wings first to the fuselage then gluing the bottom half after?

Unfortunately I had already glued the top and bottom of the wings together, plus the gap was that big I not sure it would have help. Gap was filled using a mixture of scrap bits of plastic card and plastic putty.

CurtissP-40N_048Eduard_Build08_zps2cba5a

This was followed by a quick trip to the paint booth for some primer. A big improvement,

CurtissP-40N_048Eduard_Build09_zps0037da

Just need to spend a bit of time tidy up and re scribe a few panel lines that got obliterated.

• Like 1

All your image links are broken now, mate. Just wanted to point that out because I'd really like to see this one!

**EDIT: Looks like it's PhotoBucket that's broken at the moment, as the same issue is occurring across a lot of threads. Sorry!

Edited by caszerino

Now that PB is back up, it looks like it could still turn out great. I'm hoping I don't have wing root gaps like that anytime soon! And forgetting to install the IP is exactly something I would do. I get too focused on something, and screw up something else. So you have got my sympathies there!

• 1 month later...

Haven't posted for a while but progress has continue, although at a snails pace.

Got some paint on it now, and it looks a lot better. Tried to put some warn areas on it by spraying the OD over some aluminium, with micro mask dotted on to represent the warn areas. The result wasn't quite as subtle as I was aiming for, think I might have left the mask on for to long as when I tried to remove it, more of the OD came up that I was hoping.

Curtiss%20P-40N_048%20Eduard_Build14_zps

Curtiss%20P-40N_048%20Eduard_Build12_zps

• Like 1

Wow! From horror story to Cinderella story! It looks fantastic now! I've completely stalled out on my P-40B, unfortunately, to the point that I'm actually doing another non-GB build to try to get myself remotivated. Yours is definitely inspiring me a bit to get mine finished for this GB!