Fuerza Aerea Ecuatoriana Kfir C.2 - Finally completed !

Hi Giorgio. This is looking really nice.

Don't rush to outline the airbrake if you would rather wait for the white decal lines to arrive. I'm sure we would all be very happy to have this posted as 'complete', if that's all that's left to do :winkgrin: .

Up to you though, of course!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Cliff, unfortunately there's no option, I could not find any other white strip of the right thickness therefore I focused on attaching the last few bits.

The build followed the traditional pattern started when I first opened the box: troubles and more troubles ! The carpet monster swallowed one of the landing gear doors I had scratchbuilt and another had to be made. At least however I managed to make from scratch the main doors. These are large and fairly complex parts but the use of plasticard and pression in the right points led to a decent result.

So, with only a few hours before the end of the GB, here is my model of FAE-905:

IMG_1411_zpsudgjt8sd.jpg

IMG_1412_zpsk0ci4f95.jpg

IMG_1415_zpsasghmxvw.jpg

IMG_1414_zpscvubquvl.jpg

IMG_1413_zpsl1k4eilq.jpg

I did not add all the smaller antennas and I also could not find a good way to reproduce the typical pitot tube used on the Kfir. The brass tube replacement is however better than what the kit supplied...

The airbrakes white lines are missing and so are some minor stencils. To be honest, at this point I can't be bothered !

Am I happy with this model ? Not much but it's not too bad when seen from a couple of meter or more. It's also quite colourful, the camo scheme and markings combination has a somewhat exotic flavour, that IMHO fits well with the subject of this GB.

The kit I used was a nightmare, plagued by bad fit and misshapen parts. Really, I have to start being more clever in my purchases: it does not matter if a kit is cheap, if it's bad it's going to lead to frustrating builds like this one !!!

The homemade decals on the other hand gave very little trouble. I can see myself building more and more subjects from lesser built air forces now !

I have to thank all those who followed my build, those who gave advices and those who simply pushed me to keep going. I admit that I have been tempted a few times to throw this model in the bin... And of course let me thank the hosts and the sponsors of this GB, it was a fantastic chance to see a lot of great models in very interesting markings.

Oh, and one final thought... have I mentioned before that we really, really, really need a new state of the art 1/72 kit of the Kfir ????????????????????

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Like 2

Hi Giorgio, I think that we all felt your pain so thanks once again for persevering!

The end result was certainly worth all the effort (said as someone who only had to watch ;) ).

Cheers

Cliff

For all you went through with this kit, Giorgio, from my POV, you've solved every single issue - and then did so in amazing fashion.

The result is one of 5-6 'eyecatchers' (for me) in this GB.

Congratulations, and special thanks for pushing through all the problems and completing your work.