Indonesia : Mig-21F-13

Having already signed up to build something South African, I couldn't stop myself from volunteering to do a second build. (A little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me that this is going to end in tears....)

So here's the starting point for my Indonesian Mig-21F-13 in the rather flashy scheme of the AURI display team :

Ind01.jpg

Should be a simple OOB with decals by Aztec......

....should be.......

See you all in January

mike

• Like 2

Interesting. I've got the 72nd scale version of that sheet for the F-7s. That scheme is spectacular, but has way too much potential for disaster for my fists of ham to have a go :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for everyone's input and apologies for the delay in getting this one off the ground.

We're up and running with the cockpit. Quite comprehensive and all parts seem to fit together well. Having said that, there's a lot of parts ! The ejection seat is made up of 9 parts and 4 rather anaemic etched seat belt pieces.

Here's everything (except the control column and cockpit coaming) lined up for primer :

Indo1.jpg

Not looking forward to painting this but it's a "necessary nasty" for any kit I build........

mike

• Like 1

Another, very interesting topic.

One note about something I'm always missing on these birds (Indonesian MiG-21F-13): please, don't forget to add that small IFF-antenna atop the spin, Mike.

You can see it on the photo above too, as small 'black doors' on that structure in the background.

• 2 weeks later...

One note about something I'm always missing on these birds (Indonesian MiG-21F-13): please, don't forget to add that small IFF-antenna atop the spin, Mike.

Thanks for the tip Tom. I would have missed it out completely !

Not much progress to report I'm afraid because I've been painting out the cockpit tub. A lot of "artistic" license has gone into this so no arguing about my use of incorrect colours :sorry:

Indo2.jpg

The cockpit is going to be closed on this build.

Regards

mike

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments.

I've been working away at getting the internal bits assembled and painted - there are quite a few and these have now been attached to the starboard fuselage. Quick fit of the fuselage halves and everything seems to be moving in the right direction :

Indo4.jpg

Indo5.jpg

Indo6.jpg

Now I need to work out what to do with the engine components and which bits are going to be seen. No point in wasting sandpaper or paint !

mike

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Engine components glued together, painted up and fitted into the fuselage. Once that had been completed, it didn't take too long to button up the fuselage :

Indo7.jpg

Indo8.jpg

The tailfin hasn't been glued to the fuselage yet and I haven't got around to fitting the cockpit coaming either.

Having said that, I must say that I've been quite impressed with the fit of parts so far.

Thanks for looking.

mike

• Like 2

Spent this morning adding various lumps and bumbs to the bottom of the fuselage. The parts literally click into place, as does the crystal clear canopy bits. (Couldn't resist the temptation to test drive them).

Fitted the tail section to the fuselage, gave some minor joints a lick of Mr Surfacer followed by a splash of Primer.

Indo9.jpg

Indo10.jpg

Really enjoying the build so far.

Need to start planning the bare metal finish soon.

mike

• Like 4

Added the wings and tailplanes just in time to go back to work tomorrow......

Indo11.jpg

No real issues although I was quite surprised that the tailplanes are just butt-jointed to stubs on the fuselage.

I've left a couple of scoops and bumps off the rear of the fuselage as I need to thing about the paintwork / decals. The red lightning bolt down the side of the fuselage has me a bit worried. There's no way I'd be able to match the paint for the scoops, and besides that, a quick look at the decals makes me think there could be other issues afoot. As a result, I'm toying with the idea of painting the red bits but I'm not sure if I should paint and mask before applying the silver, or mask and paint after ? :shrug:

mike

• Like 1

What silver paint are you planning to use?

I'm aiming to use Alclad, Col.

In the meantime, I've opted to spray, mask and then spray again.

Here are the red bits :

Indo12.jpg

• Masked up the lightning bolts on the tail
  • Sprayed the tail black
  • Ripped the masks off because I needed to see some lightning (and I'm an impatient sod) !!!

Indo13.jpg

I used the aftermarket decals as a base to cut the masks and I'm mystified as to how the kit decals would have worked ? All three lightning bolts on each side of the tail were way bigger than they needed to be !

Anyway, I've parked it outside now to let the paint have a chance to dry.......

mike

• Like 3