1/72 Revell Junkers Ju 87 G/D Stuka Tank Buster

StephenCJ

My Son bought this lovely kit for my birthday, wicked little bugger, I use the word little very lightly he is much taller than me, 6'15". I have never built a German plane before, I don't like German planes, well until today. Yes we have been to Toyworld again Winenut.

I asked him which version I should build - bombs or guns, guns won. Some guns 3.7 cm but with only 6 rounds per gun.

The kit has raised panel lines and plenty of flash to clean up.

Could somebody tell me what interior colour I should use. Winenut used a grey and the instructions tell me I should use light olive. Good to be confused right from the start.

box.jpg

parts.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 1

The interior should be RLM 66 which is a very dark grey.

It was introduced in 1941, prior to that cockpits on Luftwaffe aircraft were RLM 02, which is the olive green colour.

Karl

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally an update.

This would have to be the roughest kit I have ever attempted, Plenty of flash to be removed and lots of filler needed and I have no intention of doing any detailing in the cockpit apart from seatbelts.

Trying to find the correct location for the cockpit is not very easy with this kit. It can be installed in a number of positions as the pictures show.

Fully forward.

cockpit-1.jpg

To the rear.

cockpit-2.jpg

A wing in the fuselage half gives the correct position.

cockpit-3.jpg

Hope so.

cockpit-4.jpg

Had a fight with a cow and the cow won, not feeling the best.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

Edited by StephenCJ

Good on you Stephen!.

I hope your Stuka build is easier than mine ended up being :banghead:

Can't wait to see this tank busting version.

The Stuka is a very distinctive aircraft and makes a fine addition to any collection. :thumbsup:

God bless Toyworld!

I think the callout on the interior colour by Karl was spot on. My Stuka was stationed in Italy 1941 so probably built prior when RLM02 was still in use.

The tank busting version of the J-87 with the remodelled cowling and intake, improved engine and increased armour didn't appear until about 1943/44 and would have used the darker Grey RLM66 on the interior.

So your definitely off to a good start my friend

Cheers!

Bruce

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finally some sort of update on this build.

The model is now painted, I had a go at pre-shading. I think it has turned out very nice.

I still have a few touch ups to do and finish masking the canopy and a few bits to add.

top.jpg

side.jpg

bottom.jpg

guns.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 3

That's looking awesome Stephen.

Nice work with the pre-shading.

I think this is coming together really well and the photography is great too.

The canopy is the thing that nearly killed me! LOL

Good luck with the rest of the buiild and I look forward to the decals and final finishes

Cheers

Bruce

• Like 1

Thanks Bruce.

The canopy has only a few frames to work with and I'm trying to wing it. It has taken a few days to get to this stage as I keep putting it off

Don't worry about that! LOL

My Stuka took me forever!

It's not how long it takes you to build......it's how happy you are when the gorgeous beastie makes it into the cabinet :winkgrin::yikes::analintruder::coolio::thumbsup:

Chocks away!

• Like 1

Good luck Stephen,it,s not the best of kits I got Revells boxing of the Italeri kit as a practice for the BoB GB and it,s superb so decided to keep it for the actual

build, so for the same price bought this one,opened the box and reeled back in horror! but you are doing a cracking job so far.

• Like 1

So far, so very good!

Funny you are building this one!

This morning I just reopened the Revell box of their Ju 87 B-2, which I bought sometimes during the seventeenth century... Surprise (for me at least), the sprues are exactly the same in both boxing!!! OK, you get an extra one with the guns. For the rest, same thing,

I had started this kit, put it away, and something is asking me to get at it again... your thread is therefore an omen. I have to!

So really looking forward to see how yours ends up.

Good luck

JR

• Like 2

I put the decals on yesterday and she only needs some weathering and a gun. The canopy won't fit, well mine didn't.

No photos = no decals LOL

Stuka canopies are a b&%$ aren't they!! :wall:

• Like 1

Photos tomorrow. Stuka canopies are worse than that.. Spent the day at Evans Head buying seafood with my brother, his family and my father. No time for modelling today.

Life could be worse than buying seafood! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Here is an update, especially for you Bruce. Decals on.

decals-on.jpg

the little tank has to be angled down -- I spent a lot of effort trying to get those little tanks right.

decals-on-a.jpg

As you can see the decals are on. I only need to add a flat coat and weather this little horror. Oh, I also need to add navigation lights, paint the gunner's gun, paint the pitot tube, touch up the spinner and paint the exhausts.

I have been looking for some pics of aircraft in service o see how dirty they became, no luck yet.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 1