1:72 Sikorsky Ilya Muromets, Maquette/scratchbuilt - the beast is back!

Brandy

The wire company is very good indeed and the prices are very reasonable - highly recommended. I have not used that nickel chrome before - I think that I might try it as I use wire for rigging all the time and that would be a better colour than the copper wire that I use at the moment.

P

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 12:15 PM, clive_t said:

Good to see this back up and running, albeit 2 steps forward, 1 back! Thanks for the link for the wire too, bookmarked :)

Such is life! Getting there now though!

I got a good session in with the airbrush yesterday, and today decided that some of it needed a little extra work, so the underside of the nose was done again. I'm now happy with the fuselage! The red on the banner needs a little touching up, and I obviously need to redo some of the pastel work to blend it all in again, but other than that it's done!

38231940134_1dfe607142_c.jpg

38061633155_f4317b1bd4_c.jpg

25076466078_bb7a572d45_c.jpg

I also got the base coat sprayed on the props, engine mounts, and struts. Tomorrow should see some advance on those.....
 Almost back to where I was a month ago!

Ian

• Like 6

6 hours ago, limeypilot said:

38061633155_f4317b1bd4_c.jpg

Stick a rotor head and some undercarriage on this and you have a sort of steampunk Whirlwind, thus advancing young Igor’s career by 35 years at a stroke.

Lovely job, Ian

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Super restoration Ian. The tail unit on that thing seems to be as large as the wings on some single seaters......  that is going to be a rather large model when it is finished. And very different to what arrived in the box!

P

Today was woodwork time. The leather was brushed on and the clear orange sprayed as usual.

Engine bearers, props, and struts all done.

38935598122_ae1816a066_c.jpg

24107579257_a900292f1e_c.jpg

That is the good side of the struts, the other side is a little blotchy. I'll take another look tomorrow in decent light and see if they're ok or need redoing.

Ian

• Like 5

I Have not been paying much attention to the aviation pages recently, but have just dropped in for a look and can see I have been missing some excellent work.

Keep going Sir, you are definitely winning this fight.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 1:10 AM, John D.C. Masters said:

I built one of these about 20 years ago.  It was nothing like this build, of course.  Mine suffered all the pangs of the poorly designed kit that you have overcome.  This is going to look marvelous!

Thanks John, you're being very kind to the kit, to be honest. Poorly designed is not even close to how I'd describe it, but this is a family forum!

On 12/13/2017 at 3:56 AM, Bandsaw Steve said:

I Have not been paying much attention to the aviation pages recently, but have just dropped in for a look and can see I have been missing some excellent work.

Keep going Sir, you are definitely winning this fight.

Cheers Steve (or should that be Stevo, since you're in Aus?) :winkgrin: It's a long slog, but fun, and hopefully I'll have a decent rendition of the aircraft when I'm done!

The engine mounts have now been finished off with strips of Bare Metal Foil, and attached to the wings. The next step was the big one, to make sure the engines fitted correctly without the exhausts fouling the struts. That meant the first trial fit of the wings with a couple of struts in place to check the clearance.....and all is well! The props are only slid onto the shafts for clearance checks....

38198413365_21471421cb_c.jpg

38198414805_a9af5bbf7b_c.jpg

The extensions on the front of the inner engine mounts were then trimmed back and the starboard engines CA'd in place.

27302191349_f41b241ede_c.jpg

I'll fit the port ones tomorrow, then I need to finalise the rigging plan before going too much further in case further holes are needed which can't be drilled after attaching the lower wings.....

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 11

Bit lost for words at that last couple of updates tbh. There's a point at which there's just so much good stuff all in one place that you don't know where to start with the praise!

So good. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2017 at 1:36 PM, pheonix said:

That looks very impressive even in the partially assembled state. It is going to look really super when it is finished.

P

Thanks P! 

On 12/16/2017 at 4:31 PM, TheBaron said:

Bit lost for words at that last couple of updates tbh. There's a point at which there's just so much good stuff all in one place that you don't know where to start with the praise!

So good. 

Many thanks Tony, much appreciated! I'll try to tone it down a little and spread out the "good stuff"!

On 12/17/2017 at 6:25 AM, Martian Hale said:

You are excelling yourself Sir.

Martian

Thanks Martian! Glad to see you're at least well enough to be back online! I hope the recovery continues to have you back up and about before Christmas so you can eat and drink too much and go back to bed!

On 12/17/2017 at 8:42 AM, hendie said:

looking really god - though I still think of a converted tram when I see it.  Good luck with the struttery

It does look a little "trainish" - funnily enough, the R-BVZ works, (Russo-Baltic Wagon Works) which built it, was formed in Riga in  1838 and made its name in the railway industry!

Not much actual building progress to report, instead a little planning and experimenting.......

Before I got too far along I decided to do a plan for the rigging, and to try out an idea for the bound lines around the engine area. 

To explain a little: The rigging wires in the area of the the props were double or triple wires, with a wooden strip added between them. The whole was then bound to form a solid piece which would not result in loose cables fouling the props should they break. 

This photo shows what I mean. It is used with the kind permission of Ray Rimmell/Albatros Productions.

39157600411_de78bd63e5_c.jpg

You will also notice that the wires in one direction go around (or through, depending on which one you're looking at!) other wires - another complication!

Originally I'd thought of simply using thin strips of plastic rod or sheet, but I couldn't think how to get the look right where the wires passed through each other. That led me to thinking in a different direction, but I needed to try it on a dummy run to see if it would actually work. That brings us to the trial...

I put together a couple of pieces of scrap to form a small jig, then attached some "rigging wires". The idea was to use either white glue or Mr Surfacer to fill the gap between the wires. I started with Mr Surfacer, mainly because it's grey so it wouldn't need to be painted afterwards! I have both the 500 and 1000, and decided to go with the heavier 1000. Immediately I could see that it could work, so instead of white glue on the other side of the jig I used the 500. 

39127320022_11bdc84bb3_c.jpg

39157598801_7813477d29_c.jpg

This is with just one large "blob" added to one end and drawn out with a small brush. The 1000 is certainly easier to apply as the 500 wanted to pull along the wires and I had to drag the ends back down with the brush a couple of times. The key seems to be making sure you have a good sized blob (technical term!) on the brush to start with. 
 Here's one showing both sides, with a ruler to show the sort of gaps I'm dealing with. There's a slight dip in places but nothing that a second coat shouldn't sort out, and more importantly, it hasn't sagged underneath but has stayed taut between the lines as required, It is also flexible and doesn't crack if I press on the wires.

39127322172_d29726f97c_c.jpg

This should also enable the wires to be run around each other with no problem. I think that problem has now been solved, so more rigging holes are needed before moving on.

Ian

• Like 4

What a clever solution to a practical problem. I should have put similar wires on the SS R1 which I built last year but I chickened out and just put in single wires as I also tried thin plastic but it did not work. Never thought of using Mr Surfacer!! Next time though....

P

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

You will also notice that the wires in one direction go around (or through, depending on which one you're looking at!) other wires - another complication!

It's like Igor got out of bed one morning and said to his design team: "let's make sure nobody can ever make a model of this". 

Lovely work, and great idea with the Mr Surfacer.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It's like Igor got out of bed one morning and said to his design team: "let's make sure nobody can ever make a model of this". 

There are certain aircraft that you would have loved to have seen the test pilot's face the first time he clapped eyes on his new charge, and this is one of them.

Super lateral thinking on the Mr.S membrane Ian! That process reminds me of something similar that I've seen but I'm damned if I can recall the context....

Bravo sir!

Tony

• 11 months later...

Hello Ian,

Did you finish this model as I am just about to commence that kit and would be interested to see what it looked like and also what guns did you use eg kit guns or PE guns

The box states it was fitted with 1x Maxim, 1x Lewis and 1x Madsen and I am wondering what aftermarket gouns could be availlable,

Thanks for any info

Regards

Paul

2 hours ago, Reddo said:

Hello Ian,

Did you finish this model as I am just about to commence that kit and would be interested to see what it looked like and also what guns did you use eg kit guns or PE guns

The box states it was fitted with 1x Maxim, 1x Lewis and 1x Madsen and I am wondering what aftermarket gouns could be availlable,

Thanks for any info

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul, I've just realised it's been a year since I last did anything on this!

To answer your question, no I haven't finished it. I relocated this year from the US to the UAE and everything's been a little "up in the air" but I'm on track to get back on it in the not too distant future. As for the guns, the Veh only had two, both on the upper wing centre section. Pics I've seen suggest a Lewis and a Madsen. I have obtained an Aeroclub Madsen and have quite a few Miniworld Lewis guns, one of which will be used here. The gun position on the upper rear fuselage did not exist on the Veh, only on later Geh versions, so that needs to be blocked off.

The only kit parts which are useable without modification are the wheels!

Good luck!

Ian

Thanks Ian, I have a watch for one of those Madsens out there so one will pop up one day...

I read through your trials and tribulations; its good to have a challenge 🙂

Good to hear the dust (sand) is settling; I worked in UAE for a short while - you definitely need something to keep one occupied out there...

Cheers

• Haha 2